MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

Pardon my ignorance, but why isn't Atomic Blonde certified fresh? Read where it takes like 80 reviews, and above 70% to be certified? AB is at 75% with 100+ reviews in. My wife and I watching it this weekend.

1 minute ago, KJsooner said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why isn't Atomic Blonde certified fresh? Read where it takes like 80 reviews, and above 70% to be certified? AB is at 75% with 100+ reviews in. My wife and I watching it this weekend.

It is a steady 75% or above after 80 reviews:

Rotten Tomatoes awards the Certified Fresh™ accolade to films and TV programs that have a steady Tomatometer® of 75% or higher after a set amount of reviews 

The 70% rules is to keep it once you have acquired if your score go down, atomic blonde is at 73% on RT right now. I think it did reach 75% at 89, but it was not steady I would imagine at that moment.

• Like 2

Apes has a real shot at a sub-50% weekend drop even without giving it optimistic holds compared to last week's holds [added in brackets]

2.017 (Thursday)

3.1 (+54%) [+59%]

4.3 (+40%) [+42%]

3.2 (-26%) [-24%]

10.6 (-49% from 20.88 2nd weekend)

10.7 weekend will give it 119 cume. 31 away from 150 dom. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Apes has a real shot at a sub-50% weekend drop even without giving it optimistic holds compared to last week's holds [added in brackets]

2.017 (Thursday)

3.1 (+54%) [+59%]

4.3 (+40%) [+42%]

3.2 (-26%) [-24%]

10.6 (-49% from 20.88 2nd weekend)

10.7 weekend will give it 119 cume. 31 away from 150 dom. 

True, but it lost a good amount of theaters (not bad, but not great for week #3), and worse, a huge amount of showings...around me, it's got 1 screen everywhere now, whereas last week, it had 2-3 screens/theater.  It also got dropped to smallest screens in a few theaters, so it may face a "not enough seats for a good drop" problem...

9 minutes ago, IN BKB WE TRUST said:

I thought Tomato Law was dead cause as bad as 3% sounds for this movie on RT, it's bound to make some $$$$$ this weekend and as silly as it sounds, this probably didn't cost much to make either and the studio knows this to??? :popcorn:

Tomato law (if it exist) is more about movie targeting 15-45 white male, say something like a Baby Driver, kids movie, targeting woman, skewing older, action are not affected as much.

And yes, not sure what the word flop is already used, it achieved to get so many theater worldwide, if that 50m price point is close to the truth it could be a nice success.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Talking about Tomato Law, EMOJI could open at par with CU (certified fresh on RT with 86%) and out-gross with a similar ~3x. The Law didn't work for a grown ups movie (relatively) like WAR, and won't work for EMOJI too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

True, but it lost a good amount of theaters (not bad, but not great for week #3), and worse, a huge amount of showings...around me, it's got 1 screen everywhere now, whereas last week, it had 2-3 screens/theater.  It also got dropped to smallest screens in a few theaters, so it may face a "not enough seats for a good drop" problem...

Yes, I hope it jumps 50% on Fri at least (for 3m). At least that, if not 55-60% bump, is possible despite screen loss cause last Friday it jumped 59% while facing competition from D and V.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

NO! 3%? Why? Who ruined the perfect 0% score? Who is it? Damn you professional contrarians!

A critic from Common Sense Media (ironically).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why are people assuming Emoji is gonna break out?

The only movie that defied Tomato Law this summer was Apes.

It already kinda has - I mean 3% movies opening to double digits is kinda unheard of...and this is certain to do that...

It's poised to make back 1/2 its production budget in its 1st weekend...and it's poised to beat the summer's other "premier" animated (that was certified fresh) OW BO...if it does both, that would decimate the law when it comes to animated movies...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It already kinda has - I mean 3% movies opening to double digits is kinda unheard of...and this is certain to do that...

It's poised to make back 1/2 its production budget in its 1st weekend...and it's poised to beat the summer's other "premier" animated (that was certified fresh) OW BO...if it does both, that would decimate the law when it comes to animated movies...

The children animation genre might be critic proof.

Also, we should leave budgets out of the Tomato Law debate.

It's only about the OW.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

To be fair, the positive review says "meh" in the RT blurb. 

Guess that's what consistent a "positive" review for The Emoji Man. "Well at least it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be..."

Update - TOP 10 FILMS OF THE SUMMER 2017:

01. Wonder Woman - 391.3M

02. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 387.4M

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 261.1M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 220.7M

05. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 170.8M

06. Cars 3 - 145.1M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight - 128M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 106.3M

09. Baby Driver - 87.2M

10. The Mummy - 79.5M

Dunkirk will crack the top 10 by this weekend without a single shadow of doubt. It's at 69M as of Wednesday. Thursday + 3-day weekend guarantees not only bumping out The Mummy, but it may go over Baby Driver too.

Girls Trip is basically guaranteed to go over Baby Driver too, so... there goes that dream :sadben:Still, could be worse than Girls Trip (could be Emoji)...

Apes has no shot of anything better than #7, as while it will beat Transformers, it's certainly not a lock to over Cars 3 (#8 is more likely than #7), and Dunkirk is definitely beating it. Again, depressive, but whatever.

On the plus side, Wonder Woman is absolutely guaranteed to go over 400M, so yeah.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

When do you guys expect WW to cross the 400M mark?

Will be 395M+ coming out of this weekend, with probably 4.5M to go. It will most likely do 2M on weekdays next week, so it can cross 400 as soon as next Sunday or as late as the Tuesday post that.

• Like 3