MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, now that Emoji escaped the 0% curse on RT, do you guys know any movie with more than 100 reviews that got 0% on RT?

I just found the one with Banderas and Lucy Liu, and I actually liked some of the action scenes, lol.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ballistic_ecks_vs_sever/

Directed by a guy named Kaos.  I mean what could go wrong?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't know, The Star looks weird enough that it might be worth watching on Netflix someday. The part with the bird dancing at the end to distract the dogs reminded me of The Room. 

Some posters thought The Star could outgross Coco and potentially do $150m+, those predictions went out of the window when the trailer dropped. At this point, it will

be the best review SPA film this year and still be rotten

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Some posters thought The Star could outgross Coco and potentially do $150m+, those predictions went out of the window when the trailer dropped. At this point, it will

be the best review SPA film this year and still be rotten

Nice shade throwing there. :sadben:

Seriously though there's a chance Emoji Smurfs and Star combined do under HT2 domestically. I wonder how much damage Emoji will do and also any predictions for SPA's 2018 slate.

I am thinking:

PR: $100M/$250M

HT3: $140M/$370M

G2: $65M/$150M

SMTAM: $200M/$400M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

SPA  Sony Films needs a shake up and badly otherwise they'll be gone in a couple of a years. 

Sony don't have Bond at the moment as their contract with MGM and EON expired and it's looking likely Warner Bros might be taking over distributing Bond.

Fixed That For You.........

It's up in the air as to who will get Bond. SONY is making a major push to keep them,and Annapurna films has emerged as a surprising dark horse entry in the Bond derby.What is interesting is that EON/MGM is only offering a one picture deal. That is why some Major studios like Disney are not interested. Disney would peobably like 007,but want a long term deal and are not interested in doing what amounts to an audition. And Dsiney is not desperate for big franchises like some studio. For The Mouse is a case of "It would be nice, but we don't really need it, and we are not giving away the house for it".

But the New Management at Sony films seem little better then the old management. They made one good movie in calling in Marvel Studios to get Spidey back on track,but other then that same old incompetence.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

do you guys know any movie with more than 100 reviews that got 0% on RT?

This search engine can help:

https://www.cinesift.com/#/

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever seem to be the only one over 100 review, 50 reviews there is 3 others.

Eddy Murphy A Thousand Words, 

One Missed Call

Pinocchio (2002)

• Like 3

It will be amusing if the over-the-top piling on of Emoji movie by critics actually backfires with people saying "it can't be that bad, so best to just ignore them - they were biased from the get go"...

I mean, my locals today are briskly selling this movie...and it's already 50% presold for all shows tomorrow as well...it's doing better than CU here, and I'm pretty sure it's b/c it's a movie that does not skew for only one gender, which is a big bonus for animated movies...

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Annapurna films has emerged as a surprising dark horse entry in the Bond derby

A feel like they would only be a producing partner and would still need someone to do the world distribution at some point.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

.What is interesting is that EON/MGM is only offering a one picture deal.

Could be to offer flexibility (or you cannot effectively deal a long term deal without them knowing who you will cast as Bond) for the post Craig shit. I'm really not sure that Disney would have any interest in the Bond franchise, at least not anything similar to what the current deal is.

It would burn a release date for them for very little and would probably not like distributing an EON/MGM movie with them calling the shot, and the Disney brand does not match Bond at all and they do not have an alternative sticker a la Touchstone currently active.

Edited by Barnack

17 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Nice shade throwing there. :sadben:

Seriously though there's a chance Emoji Smurfs and Star combined do under HT2 domestically. I wonder how much damage Emoji will do and also any predictions for SPA's 2018 slate.

I am thinking:

PR: $100M/$250M

HT3: $140M/$370M

G2: $65M/$150M

SMTAM: $200M/$400M

Peter Rabbit is more likely to do $60-80m than $100m. 

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Fixed That For You.........

It's up in the air as to who will get Bond. SONY is making a major push to keep them,and Annapurna films has emerged as a surprising dark horse entry in the Bond derby.What is interesting is that EON/MGM is only offering a one picture deal. That is why some Major studios like Disney are not interested. Disney would peobably like 007,but want a long term deal and are not interested in doing what amounts to an audition. And Dsiney is not desperate for big franchises like some studio. For The Mouse is a case of "It would be nice, but we don't really need it, and we are not giving away the house for it".

But the New Management at Sony films seem little better then the old management. They made one good movie in calling in Marvel Studios to get Spidey back on track,but other then that same old incompetence.

Bond doesn't suit the Disney brand where as it would suit Warner Bros who doesn't have a spy franchise like Universal or Paramount 

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that the concept of The Emoji Movie is far from bad.

Had it been good,or even decent, I strongly believe it could have ended up a pretty nice hit.

I mean it seems to be doing decently even now after all the shit it has received...

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think we can all agree that the concept of The Emoji Movie is far from bad.

Had it been good,or even decent, I strongly believe it could have ended up a pretty nice hit.

I mean it seems to be doing decently even now after all the shit it has received...

It's only OW, it could have a bad drop next weekend

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

This search engine can help:

https://www.cinesift.com/#/

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever seem to be the only one over 100 review, 50 reviews there is 3 others.

Eddy Murphy A Thousand Words, 

One Missed Call

Pinocchio (2002)

The crappy remake of One Missed Call, right? The original is a decent J-horror film

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1