MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

25 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I have seen this question asked several times this week and a few more times today about war of the Planet of the Apes. The reason, in my opinion, that it didn't open well and is having terrible legs is because ...

At 146.3 dom (27.6 away after a 10.4 weekend, so should get there imo) it's multiplier will be 2.60x. Not bad for a tri-quel, but the problem is the soft opening.

RISE 3.23x

DAWN 2.87x

WAR 2.60-2.63x (146-148 dom)

It's 2nd and 3rd weekend drops are at par with SMH (62% an 50%) and better than Pirates (65% and 52%). Hopefully next weekend is a low 40% drop.

Edited by a2knet

20 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I have seen this question asked several times this week and a few more times today about war of the Planet of the Apes. The reason, in my opinion, that it didn't open well and is having terrible legs is because it's not a fun movie and it's depressing and it does things that yourejust simply not supposed to do in a movie about animals. I can't get more specific than that without getting in the spoiler territory but I loved the first two movies and was excited to see this one and I had an abysmal time watching the movie and I can never watch this one again. I understand what they are trying to do but it completely turn me off. I can only imagine that others must have heard the same things that I'm talking about and have just stayed away.

You can do it with spoiler tags now. So please, go ahead.

• Like 1

This last Apes is also too much from the pov of the apes. What's been fun about these movies is how we, as humans, deal with these intelligent and potentially dangerous apes. But there was no human anchor for the audience in this last one. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

This last Apes is also too much from the pov of the apes. What's been fun about these movies is how we, as humans, deal with these intelligent and potentially dangerous apes. But there was no human anchor for the audience in this last one. 

I feel like this was the major problem for the marketing and why the audience didn't showed up tbh. I completely agree with this.

Ape's problem was marketing...

Spoiler

Trailers sold it as an action movie, when in fact has more drama than expected. Besides, it's overlong and it barely had "war scenes". 

The fate of the main character probably turned a lot of people off. 

Spoiler

This is probably trying to be the Logan of the Apes franchise. However, what works in movies like Logan, obviously doesn't work for a movie like Apes.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

I'm on my phone now so I don't have the spoiler button for the phone. But go to Whatsapp CJ and I will tell you there.

• Like 1

War for the Planet of the Apes is great but I do understand why it hasn't clicked with audiences unlike the previous films. I do think what Tele said before about these sort of films which are quite bleak not being what audiences want at the moment. 

I mean I'd agree that folks don't want bleak films but Dunkirk doesn't seem to be having a problem with that. 

I think the problem with Apes has more to do with when it was released and the actual plot of it (what Baumer touched on and also what Binoche mentioned) than it being a bleak film. 

It was still a fantastic film, in my opinion but fantastic films don't always translate to crowd pleasing films. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Real badly. It dropped quite a bit in every market I've checked. Basically mirroring the USA performance across the board.

So people can't just blame stupid comic book movie loving Americans for this one? Good to know. Lol

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean I'd agree that folks don't want bleak films but Dunkirk doesn't seem to be having a problem with that. 

I think the problem with Apes has more to do with when it was released and the actual plot of it (what Baumer touched on and also what Binoche mentioned) than it being a bleak film. 

It was still a fantastic film, in my opinion but fantastic films don't always translate to crowd pleasing films. 

No. Nothing to do with that. Theres things that happen that turn people off. Ask @CJohn to put it in spoiler tags if youre that curious. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

Not trying to spoil Dunkirk but there is hope in the film. It is one of the largest evacuation during war and allow British to stay in the war.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Release date definitely hurt. Apes got smacked on the front end by the second weekend of a $117m superhero opener and it got smacked on the back end by the $50+ million opening of another adult skewing action movie. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Sony has opened 3 consecutive hits, when was the last time that happened? 

August/September 2016 ?:

Sausage party: 140m on a 19m budget

Don't breathe: 157m on a 9.9m budget

When the Bough Breaks: 30 million domestic on a 10million budget

Before that, may/june 2016:

Money Monster/Angry Bird/The Shallows

War Room/Perfect Guy/Hotel Transylvania 2 were 3 nice hit in a row also in 2015

Skyfall, zero dark thirty/the call/evil dead in 2012/2013 and after that they had a Cloudy 2/Captain Philips/Carrie (not a success but they were only distributing it theatrically, it was an MGM movie in good part)/American Hustle run at the end of 2013

• Like 1