Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

47 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Movies with lots of gun play were rated harshly after Columbine.

The Matrix came out a few weeks before Columbine though.

Edit: @filmlover and I made the exact same post lol

Edited by cookie

Some details on Wind River's expansion: http://deadline.com/2017/08/taylor-sheridan-wind-river-step-specialty-box-office-1202143488/

It'll be expanding into 40 theaters in Top 20 Markets next weekend with a further expansion on the 18th

Weinstein is targeting younger demos

Additionally, An Inconvenient Sequel expands to 500+ theaters this weekend

• Like 1

This Summer, barring CBMS and some breakouts like Girls Trip, Dunkirk, and Baby Driver sucked box office wise. Summer 2018 should be big rebound though. However with such a packed schedule I wonder which will hurt the most.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

This Summer, barring CBMS and some breakouts like Girls Trip, Dunkirk, and Baby Driver sucked box office wise. 2018 should be big rebound though. 

Yup. Nothing too great. CBMs did good, very good and extremely well. Baby Driver, Dunkirk, Girls Trip and Despicable Me 3 all did pretty well too. And, uh, that's kind of it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Any updates? Estimates too high or too low?

Only a few of the smaller distributors have relased actuals

Wolf Warrior 2 got a huge boost from publicity over it's massive China opening

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2017/07/28 21 $219,022   53 $4,132   $219,022 3
2017/08/04 17 $506,961 +131% 32 $15,843   $1,110,380 10

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

George Miller said the PG13 rated cut tested poorly which is why they went with the R rated cut.

I still don't understand why Mad max was R-rated, no "fuck" word, those woman just got pregnant without sex scene, the female-lead's hand got cut off without showing it being amputated....

Luckily the director didn't just to push that PG-13, it will lose all its oscar probably.....

36 40 Brigsby Bear SPC $42,790 +7.9% 15 +12 $2,853 $97,377 - 2

Holy fuck @ how poorly Brigsby Bear expanded. That's definitely not going into more than 150-200 theaters. The theater 20 minutes away from me is supposed to be getting it on the 18th, but it might be wise for Sony to push it up now before it loses even more momentum.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

This Summer, barring CBMS and some breakouts like Girls Trip, Dunkirk, and Baby Driver sucked box office wise. Summer 2018 should be big rebound though. However with such a packed schedule I wonder which will hurt the most.

Luckily next summer's schedule doesn't have an obvious flop in its roster (unlike this summer which had the failures of King Arthur and Valerian which could be seen coming from miles away). Although that might have to do with most the big titles being continuations from already established brands, none of which are following unsatisfactory predecessors (like most of this summer's underperforming sequels).

• Like 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I still don't understand why Mad max was R-rated, no "fuck" word, those woman just got pregnant without sex scene, the female-lead's hand got cut off without showing it being amputated....

Luckily the director didn't just to push that PG-13, it will lose all its oscar probably.....

I think it was less than 2 minute of footage to make it PG-13 if they wanted, the removal of the baby from the death woman body scene would have needed some edit (disturbing imagery that got it the R-rated) and one other I think.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:
36 40 Brigsby Bear SPC $42,790 +7.9% 15 +12 $2,853 $97,377 - 2

Holy fuck @ how poorly Brigsby Bear expanded. That's definitely not going into more than 150-200 theaters.

They have a standee of that creepy looking bear at my theater that I heard someone say "what the fuck is that?" while passing by it the other week. Yet another Sundance title to fail in transcending the festival circuit.

• Like 2