Finnick

Tuesday Numbers : DUNKIRK:$2.74M | EM:$2.58M | TDT:$2.44M | GT:$1.67M | SMH:$1.66M | KIDNAP:$1.45M........ WW:$400M YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

19 minutes ago, Alli said:

yeap.  The mummy had the same number of views as IT first trailer.  30M views. It still bombed

It is true It 4 trailers have 45.6 m views and has yet to open, The mummy trailers had 53m views, but I would suspect that the domestic number of views would be in It favor.

24 minutes ago, Alli said:

why are people so confident IT will break out big even if it's not a good movie? the other King adaptation The dark tower disappointed the other weekend.

Because of the strength of the aesthetic, brand, 2 year's of promos and genre, I would be really surprised if it does not break out in a giant 40m OW, even with bad reviews. It feel like the rare event type of movie that will bring back old people that almost never go to the theaters anymore. 

Edited by Barnack

The buzz on TDT has been pretty shakey from the get go.  Whereas IT has garned nothing positives it's whole way through.  I do agree to an extent that might not translate to a huge opening weekend but so far all signs point to something pretty big.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

It came from LRM, and I think that used to be Latino Review, but the graphic is interesting:

Screen+Shot+2017-07-31+at+8.17.14+AM.png

$174.5m profit for Homecoming, $282.5m for Wonder Woman and $277m for Guardians Vol. 2, not sure how accurate this is, but it's an interesting reading:

http://lrmonline.com/news/the-summer-box-office-which-movies-made-money-which-movies-flopped-we-break-it-down

It is terrible imo, theater keeping just 33% of the gross, that is Gone With the Wind phenomenal debut of is run crazy rental going to the studios level. And he is using that number for the worldwide (i.e. even China rental)...

For example, for, say Transformers, perhaps Paramount takes 90 percent of the money from first week screenings. In successive weeks, it may take 80 percent, then 70 percent, then 50 percent, and so on. With each week, their cut goes down, and the theater cut goes up. It’s different for each movie and each week, so rather than try and dig into that for each film, we figured we’d go with a rough estimate. The one we’ll go with comes courtesy of John Campea in a recent video he posted — 33 percent of the overall grosses.

That old model is never used today and do they think that Paramount got 90% of Transformer first weekend in China ? (also even peak of that model I don't think it was 90 percent for the first week or crazy number like that, more 70-75% no ?)

I doubt they are being serious with that exercise, they probably want to be able to stay on theatrical box office revenue alone because it is more fun (current movie people will click, public box office numbers, and using home video/TV make it like you are making stuff up and speculating a lot and that would be true) but still want to show that some movie make profit. Because using better formula with an 53% from DBO/40% intl/25% from China and including all the cost the movies has and they must know have like overhead and participation profit, they would end up with 0 movie being profitable on that list that do not take all the windows revenue into accout (except maybe for Beauty)

Just the fact that they use P&A and marketing has if it was exactly the same number is not good sign, in 2016 nearly 20% of the world screen were still 35mm, the P of P&A didn't went to 0 suddenly, actual print or conversion to digital help to theater chain tax that replaced them still exists)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Of course Han thinks mother! will outgross It.

Of course he does.

Having seen the 2 trailers...I'm not saying it's impossible, b/c you just never know before movies get released...BUT...pigs might have to fly to make that happen:)...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Having seen the 2 trailers...I'm not saying it's impossible, b/c you just never know before movies get released...BUT...pigs might have to fly to make that happen:)...

Pig-Bad-Romance.gif

• Like 1

IT only needs to do $1m more than HT2 to claim the September record and I think it's likely to do it, I'm thinking $55-60m but TBH doing more than Insidious 2 which did $41m OW would be more than enough 

28 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It came from LRM, and I think that used to be Latino Review, but the graphic is interesting:

Screen+Shot+2017-07-31+at+8.17.14+AM.png

$174.5m profit for Homecoming, $282.5m for Wonder Woman and $277m for Guardians Vol. 2, not sure how accurate this is, but it's an interesting reading:

http://lrmonline.com/news/the-summer-box-office-which-movies-made-money-which-movies-flopped-we-break-it-down

Seems like some pretty wild speculation.

Despicable Me 3 only $40M marketing costs, while The Mummy is $150M? Yeah someone's pulling numbers blindly out of their rectum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, Alli said:

yeap.  The mummy had the same number of views as IT first trailer.  30M views. It still bombed

Eh, no.

The first IT trailer is the most viewed of all time in the first 24 hours. I think it got 129m views in its first day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Eh, no.

The first IT trailer is the most viewed of all time in the first 24 hours. I think it got 129m views in its first day

Actually 200m views, but you are close :P

58 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Mad Max is less of a cult movie than Blade Runner. If Max can make to $150m, Blade Runner can cross $200m. 

Mad Mac had a hell of a marketing campaign and incredible reviews. I feel like its a good target for blade runner.