CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

If IT is scary, it's definitely in a fun, goosebumps-inducing way rather than a terrifying, under your skin, leave-the-lights-on-at-night way. That may be why serious horror fans are disappointed while the GA is rolling with it. 

It's sad, but I think you have to come to terms with the fact that they don't make big budget horror movies that are subtle and emphasize atmosphere and slow-burn tension anymore. What people want are haunted house rides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's crazy to think that - before this weekend - the September OW record was only 48.5M (Hotel Transylvania 2). If It meets the absolute best case scenario situation, it could double that number (or more than double it, even).

funny that sony moved hotel trans 3 from september to a loaded july next year.

but then sony can afford to scare other studios as they are so successful :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Why would some people watching a football game from 1pm to 4pm Sunday effect this movie much?  I think the group of people who watch 9 hours of football Sunday AND would watch the movie, but don't go Saturday instead is tiny. 

Because football affects everything. Go back and look at every opening day for football on Sunday and you will see that film's drop between 45 and 50%.

I hope I'm wrong and the only drops like 25% LOL but I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

but then sony can afford to scare other studios as they are so successful :ph34r:

They replaced with the not so successful Goosebumps 2!

IT is only the start of what will be a successful September. Kingsman and Ninjago doing $35-40m on their OW will be great as well

16 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Why would some people watching a football game from 1pm to 4pm Sunday effect this movie much?

Football tradition (super, family, driving to someone house to see the game etc...) ? and being drunk/less car mobile for others ? Not feeling to watch a screen as much after watching a lot of football ?

It's official! DM3 has surprassed 1 BILLION DOLLARS WORLDWIDE! Incredible run.

Sixth animated film in history, 2nd film in the Despicable Me franchise and second non Disney/Pixar film to achieve this after Illumination's Minions!

DEADLINE

‘Despicable Me 3’ Grooves Past $1 Billion At Worldwide Box Office

Illumination/Universal’s Despicable Me 3 has made the Gru-vy leap past the $1B worldwide box office mark. With Thursday’s grosses, the Kyle Balda/Pierre Coffin-helmed pic has taken $741.4M at the international box office and $259.05Mdomestically. This is the second Universal title to cross the threshold this year after The Fate of the Furious, and the third of 2017, which is led by Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.

What’s more, DM3 is the only movie released during the summer period (Memorial Day-Labor Day) to cross $1B this year. Similarly, in 2016 only one title released in the corridor cracked $1B global, Disney/Pixar’s Finding Dory. In 2015, there were two titles: Jurassic World and Minions — both from Universal.

In early August, DM3 propelled the series of four films (including Minions) to become the top-grossing animated franchise ever worldwide. It passed the Shrekstable of five pics (including Puss In Boots) to snatch the crown.

Also last month, the series passed the Ice Age franchise to become the highest-grossing animated franchise of all time at the international box office.

The eight releases from Chris Meledandri’s hit factory Illumination — Despicable Me, Hop, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, Despicable Me 2, Minions, The Secret Life Of Pets, Singand Despicable Me 3 — have grossed more than $5.7B worldwide.

DM3 is the animation studio’s second film to gross more than $1B and marks the first time an animated franchise has had two movies both cross that line. Universal points out DM3 is also Illumination’s third title to gross more than $900M, another feat that no other animation studio has ever accomplished.

Here are some more stats on DM3: It is now the sixth-highest-grossing animated film of all time worldwide, and the third-highest-grossing animated film ever internationally, behind only Frozen and Minions. At the global box office, the Steve Carrel/Kristen Wiig-voiced pic is the top animated film of 2017, and the third-highest-grossing film of any genre this year.

When it bowed in June, DM3 had the biggest opening day and weekend of all time for an animated film in China; and was No. 1 in North America and 62 international territories. It is the top animated title of all time in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Egypt and Venezuela.

Says Meledandri, “The enduring success of Despicable Me and Minions is a testament to the extraordinary talent of the team at Illumination and Illumination Mac Guff combined with the world’s greatest studio, Universal. Our passion for creating memorable experiences is on display in Despicable Me 3, and we thank fans for taking this chapter to a billion-dollar milestone.”

Adds Duncan Clark, President of Distribution, Universal Pictures International, “What Chris and his team at Illumination have been able to do with this franchise has been nothing short of amazing. Despicable Me has permeated deep into all cultures internationally, and these movies have become a destination for family audiences of all ages everywhere. That is a remarkable achievement by any standard.”

Next on Illumination’s slate is Dr Seuss’ The Grinch with Benedict Cumberbatch voicing the titular character. It’s slated for release in November 2018. After that, The Secret Life Of Pets 2 pads in for June 2019 followed by Minions 2 in July 2020 and Sing 2 in December 2020.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Tbf it's not a terrible idea to put HT3 on Summer season - given how, right now, it's the third of only 3 animated films slated for next year's Summer, the other 2 being The Incredibles 2, which is gonna be gigantic, and an unknown Laika film.... which could breakout, but probably won't.

If I were them though, I'd put it in late October, near Halloween season, as part of the reason why the HT franchise has been so successful in September is because of the proximity to Halloween. They have Goosebumps 2 + Venom + Hotel Transylvania 3 all going for that Halloween cash, and HT3 could play well enough going into November...... until it gets slaughtered by The Grinch and Wreck-It Ralph 2, that is.

• Like 1