CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

In addition to the 8:30, and 11:30 showings, The 7:00 showing is sold out in Ultrascreen nonetheless. The 7:30 showing is near sellout too.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

http://deadline.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-amc-regal-cinemark-closings-box-office-stephen-king-movie-it-1202163808/

After Hurricane Harvey shut down most multiplex locations in Corpus Christi and Houston two weeks ago, here comes Hurricane Irma, which is expected to hit the Florida peninsula overnight Saturday. The storm, per the Weather Channel, could downgrade from a Category 5 to a 4 by the time it makes landfall, but theater owners are taking great precautions, closing down many venues effective today on both east and west coasts of the state.

The moves come as more than a third of the gas stations in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Naples aresa are without fuel as shortages become more prevalent as many evacuate the state.

Cinemark has already shuttered Palace Boca, Boynton Beach and Paradise 24 Davie outside of Fort Lauderdale, and they’ll remain closed through Monday. Regal South Beach and iPic North Miami Beach are closed, while northern locations like the Oviedo Marketplace Stadium 22 will close end of business day Friday with a hope to re-open Monday.

A total of 14 Regal sites will be shuttered throughout the weekend, and that figure is increasing. As of now, all AMC Theatres in the Miami and West Palm Beach markets will be closed beginning tomorrow until Irma passes. Another 11 AMC sites are already closed including but not limited to locations in Sunrise, Aventura, Pompano Beach and Fort Lauderdale. iPic has closed its Boca Raton and North Miami Beach venues today. Five Cobb locations are shut down beginning tomorrow until further notice.

Similar to Harvey, Irma isn’t expected to slow the overall weekend box office much — just 3%-5% per exhibition sources.

After a slow summer that was down 15%, many exhibitors and distributors are looking for a boost, which New Line is expected to deliver this weekend with its Stephen King feature adaptation It. According to the latest round of tracking this morning, the horror movie is on course to post a record opening of $80 million. Previews begin tonight in about 3,500 locations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

With a 35M budget, this should be in profit by Sunday easily. Smart budgeting, great marketing blitz and a known property all add up to a big OW for September.

New Line Cinema has had a real resurgence in recent years, IT has the potential to be their highest grossing OW since The Hobbit. 

Warner Bros will have five OW records thanks to IT, if Justice League can beat Catching Fire's OW by even $1-2m in November, they'll have six OW records by the end of the year. 

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Again I think given the resurgence of New Line, I think Bond might release under the banner too if WB gets the rights.

I imagine if WB get Bond they will release it rather than New Line as I imagine it's probably too expensive for New Line to have on their slate. The Hobbit is the exception as New Line already had the rights to it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

New Line should split from Warners again! Would that be possible?

New Line don't release their own films anymore, before they were folded into WB, they were essentially sister companies but New Line just sold off the distribution rights to foreign distributors which turned out to be a costly mistake when they released the Golden Compass back in 2007. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine if WB get Bond they will release it rather than New Line as I imagine it's probably too expensive for New Line to have on their slate. The Hobbit is the exception as New Line already had the rights to it. 

True but remember if it's $150M-$200M like Skyfall, I can see New Line vouching it. After all Shazam will likely tote a $130M-$175M budget and Rampage will also have an $100M+ budget maybe even mid $100Ms. San Andreas had a $110M budget and Jack the Giant Slayer was near $200M. Unless it's $200M+, New Line can vouch it.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

True but remember if it's $150M-$200M like Skyfall,

If the deal is like the previous one and just for the theatrical release, the studio distributor is not that exposed on the budget side.

Skyfall from Sony point of view was a 188m movie with 93.6m financed by MGM/Eon, Solace awas a 219m with 109m from MGM/Eon (well you get the 50% pattern).

95 million and 110 million are big investment sure, but not giant.

And I imagine it is not to hard to get a loan for financing part of the budget and part of the distribution cost of a franchise movie like Bond, the infrastructure capacity to release it correctly is probably a main factor, more than capital or not.

Did New Line ever released a movie world wide ?

New Line seem to be exclusively distributed in the USA I think.

The Conjuring 2 & IT for example:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3065204/companycredits?ref_=tt_ql_dt_5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1396484/companycredits?ref_=tt_ql_dt_5

USA only, Warner Brother take care of the rest.

lord of the ring also:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167260/companycredits?ref_=tt_ql_dt_5

I have the impression that an entity like New Line can only by a co-distributor for the US theatrical alone (canada would also be WB) at the maximum and would not be exposed to a big portion of the production budget.

• Like 1

9 11 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony / Columbia 1,657 -379 -18.6% - - - - 10

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2017&wk=36&sort=theaters&order=DESC&p=.htm

Theater count still holding up well entering this weekend for Homecoming. Losing 379 theaters(-18.6%) on Friday so it still has 1,657 theaters left in week 10. That's more than any Marvel Studios film other than Guardians Vol. 1.

Edited by iJackSparrow