WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Thinking about the box office generally though, I'd be happy even if we just got more tiny budget high concept movies like 47 Metres Down released in theatres rather than straight to netflix. Hardly daring and innovative stuff, but at least it's not another tentpole.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cause then nobody sees the movie and the studio loses even more money. Plain and simple.

I disagree. I think with a film like this you try to slowly build an audience and get positive WOM from a more selective audience. Then you try to move it wide and hope for awards recognition. Admittedly there was no easy way to approach it. But the idea that you could just release this on 2K screens without expecting a lot of very negative feedback makes no sense.  Plus I think the whole aura of secrecy was stupid. This film works much better if you know where it is going.  

Edited by straggler

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We were discussing this on WhatsApp yesterday, who would have thought the Mother and Valerian fans would end up being more obnoxious than the Nolanites this year? :thinking: 

Just like WW and IT's run, I don't think anyone would have predicted that before it happened.  We know one "fanbase" could be close to that, but never thought it would get like this :P 

Edited by 75livesinDerry
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We were discussing this on WhatsApp yesterday, who would have thought the Mother and Valerian fans would end up being more obnoxious than the Nolanites this year? :thinking: 

Or that the Logan Lucky/Hitman's Bodyguard would have a fan war? Singular yes but still.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Han could you please do one of those  oscar breakdowns nobody reads for American assassin? We need an update of where it stands I think.

I'm told the Supporting Actress category is a little weak. Perhaps Sanaa Lathan can slip in.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, straggler said:

So Paramount going wide with a heavy arthouse movie was probably not a good idea. LOL. So now you get "flop" articles about a movie that is the polar opposite of a mainstream film, that needed a platform release. Well done. They went wide with a super controversial arthouse film and created an entirely needless negative storyline. Hollywood brilliance strikes again. 

Pretty sure the concern was WOM, they knew it would be fairly toxic (even in big cities) and wanted to get all the money they could while they could. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had Get Out, Split, Dunkirk and Baby Driver this year. So can't complain that Hollywood is playing it safe and not experimenting and churning out new creative ideas.

(Additionally, even a big studio movie like Logan, on paper a CBM with a major SH who has appeared for the umpteenth time, did something fresh and bold. So artsy films and indie films can't exclusively lay a claim on innovation.)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Were people really calling Valerian pretentious?

Not necessarily the movie itself, but the vibe the entire release gave out: so including the marketing or holding on to the release date going against Dunkirk or Besson's attitude. I think if Mother! was marketed honestly and had a limited release people would have gone easier on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

Original films sometimes bomb, original films sometimes do well.

Stop acting like teenagers in a high school theater production for crying out loud.

Well technically Han and TOG are teens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm told the Supporting Actress category is a little weak. Perhaps Sanaa Lathan can slip in.

This is Keaton's year. He is due after Birdman, Spotlight and The Founder. Although the Academy votes might be split between this and his turn in SMH.

• Like 2