Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It will be too weak after BR2049. Theaters will drop it fast.

This. I'm guessing it'll be out of a lot of midsize theaters on the 20th. Using a 12 screen as an example:

TYLER PERRY'S BOO 2! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

Only the Brave

The Snowman

Geostorm

Same Kind of Different as Me

Happy Death Day

The Foreigner

Marshall

Blade Runner

My Little Pony

Mountain Between Us

Ninjago/American Made

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Seems like a low opening.

There were a lot of openers this weekend. The Foreigner has IMAX 3D over there and is splitting IMAX with Never Say Die which has strong WOM, and there's a new Donnie Yen film with stronger WOM than Foreigner but fewer screens because of Wanda.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

There were a lot of openers this weekend. The Foreigner has IMAX 3D over there and is splitting IMAX with Never Say Die which has strong WOM, and there's a new Donnie Yen film with stronger WOM than Foreigner but fewer screens because of Wanda.

The Foreigner is in 3D in China :lol: ?

5 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Every movie is released in 3D in China, don’t? I remember reading this here. 

Not every movie is, but a lot of the time they'll make exclusive 3D conversions for select countries. The last two Furious films did this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

How’s the Best Actor race? I know that Oldman, Hanks and Chalamet are pretty much locked, but what about the last two spots? Does mah baby Andrew Garfield has a shot? And what about that DDL/PTA project? Any news about this? 

Hanks isn't locked yet. The top 3 is Oldman, DDL (assuming it's out), and Chalamet, and the last two spots are between Hanks, Franco, Renner, and Gyllenhaal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

In other news, The Foreigner opened to 11M in China yesterday (today?) and has pretty good WOM.

Im really looking forward to it. I love seeing Chan doing something more serious than what he's done for most of his career. Plus, it looks like a pretty good movie as well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hanks isn't locked yet. The top 3 is Oldman, DDL (assuming it's out), and Chalamet, and the last two spots are between Hanks, Franco, Renner, and Gyllenhaal.

Breathe is getting mixed reviews, but Andrew is getting strong praises, I was hoping that the lack of competition this year could guarantee him a nomination on the same way of Mortensen last year, too bad that the movie failed to generate any buzz, at least he has Under the Silver Lake next year. 

8 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Breathe is getting mixed reviews, but Andrew is getting strong praises, I was hoping that the lack of competition this year could guarantee him a nomination on the same way of Mortensen last year, too bad that the movie failed to generate any buzz, at least he has Under the Silver Lake next year. 

I don't think Bleecker Street can work their magic this year; if Breathe's reception was a little more positive, maybe, but I can't see him happening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Not true at all.  Sequels to films that hit the zeitgeist usually decreased.  But films that were moderate hits more times than not increased.  It's debatable as to whether or not Kingsman fell into that category.  I think it had room to grow, but not much.  I personally didn't expect an increase for it domestically but there are a litany of examples of films that increased substantially for the sequel.  The one kind of odd one that bucked the trend when it came to zeitgeist stuff is Lord of the Rings.  Each sequel inexplicably increased.

Source ? I could be remember wrong, last time I checked decrease was a bit over 50% of the time for sequels in the past.

One think that helped Lords of the rings was they released during a time of growth on the domestic market,

2000: 7.66b

2001: 8.41b

2002: 9.15b

2003: 9.24b

2004: 9.38b

2005: 8,84b

• Like 1