Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Having just watched episode 5, not believing it could get worse, I think I agree with you 1000%.  Never did I expect the "spectacular" writing that my favorite DC character has gotten for this show:)…

Good god how have you managed to stick with it past one episode?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good god how have you managed to stick with it past one episode?

My spouse is a fan of awful movies and tv...and I admit, we just watched episode 6 of Titans, and I thought the shark was jumped in  episode 5, but ho boy, the Jason Todd episode took it to another level...

Right now, I'm watching the show with sick fascination for how bad this show is gonna get...and wondering on whoever greenlit this concept of the iconic Titans and Bat Family (which are my favorite comic books:), and whether they ever picked up an issue or were just deciding for edgy and dark and nonsensical to be edgy, dark, and nonsensical...and to get my 80 cents worth before I cancel DC Universe on the 26th:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think the fact they just cut Swamp Thing down a few episodes plus haven't even given a renewal to Doom Patrol (Titans was renewed before it even premiered) seems like an indication things aren't entirely working out at least as planned originally and they're in semi-damage control mode (like the second tweet was a response to). These shows most likely have been on the very expensive side I imagine.

They cut Swamp Thing because the budget quintupled from $20m to $85m during production

• Astonished 1

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

How long is dc universe going to last at this rate. 

I imagine it'll get consolidated into WB's streaming service (assuming it still happens). It feels silly that wasn't the plan in the first place honestly. There's a reason why Disney+ is throwing in everything and not divided things up into separate streaming services you have to pay for.

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think the fact they just cut Swamp Thing down a few episodes plus haven't even given a renewal to Doom Patrol (Titans was renewed before it even premiered) seems like an indication things aren't entirely working out at least as planned originally and they're in semi-damage control mode (like the second tweet was a response to). These shows most likely have been on the very expensive side I imagine.

You have no idea why they cut Swamp Thing down a few episodes. Trying to make assumptions on decisions we have no idea on why they were taken is something people love to do on the internet but just wanted to point out: Titans early renewal was probably based on DC Universe network executives having faith in the product. Meaning they saw the early cuts of the episodes and decided to renew it based on the quality alone. 

I mean come on. Expecting them to renew everything right away is silly. Netflix can take weeks or months to renew/cancel a show. Broadcast networks will sometimes renew things before they premiere and then wait until the very last second before upfronts in May to renew/cancel another show. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You have no idea why they cut Swamp Thing down a few episodes. Trying to make assumptions on decisions we have no idea on why they were taken is something people love to do on the internet but just wanted to point out: Titans early renewal was probably based on DC Universe network executives having faith in the product. Meaning they saw the early cuts of the episodes and decided to renew it based on the quality alone. 

I mean come on. Expecting them to renew everything right away is silly. Netflix can take weeks or months to renew/cancel a show. Broadcast networks will sometimes renew things before they premiere and then wait until the very last second before upfronts in May to renew/cancel another show. 

I'm pretty sure @TMP just clarified for all of us why they decided to cut production on it heh. That's some crazy out of control budgeting.

But even Newsweek has published an article speculating on the future for the service and apparently they're reshooting the ending of Swamp Thing so they might be preparing for the possibility there won't be a season 2 (the first three episodes will premiere as planned at the end of next month). Which would be the best gesture really. No use going ahead with a cliffhanger/set-up ending that will possibly remain unresolved forever Divergent style. https://www.newsweek.com/swamp-thing-season-1-shortened-dc-universe-okay-1399543

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure @TMP just clarified for all of us why they decided to cut production on it heh. That's some crazy out of control budgeting.

But even Newsweek has published an article speculating on the future for the service and apparently they're reshooting the ending of Swamp Thing so they might be preparing for the possibility there won't be a season 2 (the first three episodes will premiere as planned at the end of next month). Which would be the best gesture really. No use going ahead with a cliffhanger/set-up ending that will possibly remain unresolved forever Divergent style. https://www.newsweek.com/swamp-thing-season-1-shortened-dc-universe-okay-1399543

I think it's likely WB does what Disney is planning to do: create a bundle for DC Universe and it's separate streaming service. Disney wants to do that with Hulu and Disney+ and ESPN+.*

If Swamp Thing's production really did balloon like that though I imagine it won't be getting a season 2 for that reason regardless of what happens with DC Universe.

*I could also see Amazon or another big company start to work with Netflix/CBS All Access to create bundles of their own. In this way, streaming could ironically become like cable where instead of individual streaming services you pay for multiple through a bundle. 

11 hours ago, Nova said:

Ordered somethings from the Vitamin Shoppe. The UPS driver dropped my package off with some woman (not at my place obviously). How does someone take/accept a package not addressed to them nor does it have their address on it? Now I gotta wait and hope this delivery guy can do his ONE job...

Here we do take packages... for neighbours all the time. Means up to maybe 10 house-street number / number of the houses in a street.

Mostly the delivery guy will leave a note in the intended's mail-box, sometimes we have to do a tracking number search. Its usually more convenient to get it faster than to have either to drive to their few centres or to await the next try of delivery (not all companies drive to each region ever day, usually they group together addresses to save time, can be a week before your address is again convenient = counts for smaller companies or if you live in a country side area like me)

Drivers (their bosses or ....) prefer to get a signature over to place it somewhere openly or wherever a driver might find a place to hide it.

That can be funny too: cryptic description where he stored it on a note in the mail-box (that everyone can open) and no one finds it till he comes again to show it. The one time that happened he meant it really to be secure

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, the $20m budget baseline is based on the fact that they spent that much on Titans' 12 episodes (of which only 11 were released), and presumably about the same for Doom Patrol's 15 episodes (despite it looking a lot more expensive and with a bigger cast). Swamp Thing costing $85m for 10 episodes definitely seems like an outlier, and I'd be surprised if they green-lit it with the intention of costing that much more than its first two series.

Don't know her, but 16?

Way too young to die

British Actor Mya-Lecia Naylor, Star Of ‘Cloud Atlas’ & CBBC’s ‘Millie Inbetween’, Dies Aged 16

https://deadline.com/2019/04/mya-lecia-naylor-dies-aged-16-1202598153/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, CJohn said:

Cancel TVI. There is no point in continuing.

To TVI's credit, they won on Wednesday, but that's entirely because of Porto's totally embarassing 4-1 loss to Liverpool. (Well, credit where credit is due: they played very well in the 1st half hour, but then they just Portugal'ed it and couldn't finish to save their lives. And Liverpool is just OP when Salah and Mané are in form. I wouldn't be shocked if it comes down to them or Ajax for the Champions title.) But their number was kinda weak anyway.... 21% daily share. Last year, they would easily do that without football.

Tonight, SIC will totally crap all over that with the Benfica game for the Europa League :rofl:  And unlike Porto, which.... let's face it, never really had much of a chance after that 2-0 loss outside, Benfica does have a chance to stay in the competition. If they make it to the semis..... holy fuck. But Eintracht is a monster team (they scored two fucking goals outside and with 10 people!!!! Benfica's defense is Godawful anyway), so this will be some intense shit.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Haha 1