Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

lmfao they own that too?  jfc

They’ll have 60% once the Fox deal goes through. In the UK they’ll own the no.1 pay tv service and their separate streaming service too.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

But they're getting Fox. They have ABC Studios. Why not mash all this together? Netflix would be over. Almost anybody would buy into it “I can get The Simpsons, Archer, Scrubs, Greys Anatomy, Golden Girls, AND the Pixar library for $10 a month? Sign me the fuck up”. These Disney people are jokers.

I think (I could be wrong) Disney is not that interested in the $10 a month model, maybe they want to see a $25-$30 a month model possible for them, if they put all the libraries on it, certainly cannot be $10.

$25/$30 cannot happen right now I think, they need to build up to it, adding channel to a lower price entry option.

More so, they do not have Fox yet.

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They couldn't even have a section in their streaming service for older viewers though?  It's not like they haven't distributed R rated films in the past.

Disney has never distributed R-rated movies under the Disney banner. They made a whole separate division for that (and then abandoned it, lol).

They'll never do anything to jeopardize the level of parental trust they've spent decades building.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think (I could be wrong) Disney is not that interested in the $10 a month model, maybe they want to see a $25-$30 a month model possible for them, if they put all the libraries on it, certainly cannot be $10.

$25/$30 cannot happen right now I think, they need to build up to it, adding channel to a lower price entry option.

More so, they do not have Fox yet.

I would’ve paid £15 a month for the god level streaming service that could’ve been. 

3 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Disney has never distributed R-rated movies under the Disney banner. They made a whole separate division for that (and then abandoned it, lol).

They'll never do anything to jeopardize the level of parental trust they've spent decades building.

Surely they could’ve just had the streaming service paired with Fox and given it a different name? Like “StreamNow” or some shit. They could’ve just laid out all the kids stuff in a separate section like Netflix.

I get the feeling this streaming service only exists just so Disney can dump all the stuff that falls outside of "surefire hits" where no one really cares. Makes sense, really. Don't think you'll be hearing any complaints that a movie headlined by Adam DeVine, of all people, ended up skipping the wide theatrical release it was once planned to receive.

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Surely they could’ve just had the streaming service paired with Fox and given it a different name? Like “StreamNow” or some shit. They could’ve just laid out all the kids stuff in a separate section like Netflix.

The service is not for you. That doesn't make their decision poor or bad -- they're just choosing to serve an entirely different market. One that's huge, consistent, and they've spent decades cultivating.

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

I would’ve paid £15 a month for the god level streaming service that could’ve been. 

Exactly and they know that, and they will build toward that (25-30$ a month), the first cheap version will not be the god level streaming the economics of creating billions worth of content probably does not work at that low price.

16 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

The service is not for you. That doesn't make their decision poor or bad -- they're just choosing to serve an entirely different market. One that's huge, consistent, and they've spent decades cultivating.

I see that. But honestly i don’t get why parents would fork out extra for Disney streaming when kids are perfectly fine with Netflix and YouTube. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out though.

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

I see that. But honestly i don’t get why parents would fork out extra for Disney streaming when kids are perfectly fine with Netflix and YouTube. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out though.

From a parent's perspective, YouTube is getting problematic because they don't police their content well -- even the stuff that's flagged as kids-only has been exploited into some really weird shit. I think many parents might still be unaware of this but it's becoming more and more known. Netflix, sure, it has a lot of content. But if you kid loves Disney characters and Disney properties (and honestly what kid doesn't), a lot of parents will probably be willing to shell out for a guaranteed-safe place for their children to watch videos. (Even Netflix doesn't do a great job of that).

• Like 2