Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Went to a 10AM showing of Hotel Transylvania 3 and I am happy to say I have been arrested and am awaiting my sentencing. Hopefully they put me away for life as I can no longer be trusted in human society.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

just booked a 9 day European trip.  Going to Amsterdam, Paris and Rome.  It's been hell planning with the friend I am going with but now that is over with, well the main planning anyway, it should be easier and happier to think about.  Can't believe I'm doing it and not sure what to do with 8 and 10 hours on a plane, but I'll figure it out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 5xmatrixdu said:

cant be trusted? according to whom and why?

Geneva Convention.

10 minutes ago, 5xmatrixdu said:

is there a lot of cocaine and heroin in NZ?

Dunno. Maybe?

• Like 1

double-featured Resolution and Spring. the former is good but the latter is terrific. heard tons of the "Before Sunrise but ______" descriptions but still wasn't prepared for how self-assured and likable it would be. quite a leap tbh. excited to see The Endless tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

did filmlover put a curse on me?

WdUQSrw.png?1

Hey man, it's not my doing that Chalamania's beginning his Hollywood takeover, he's doing that all on his own through hard work. Besides, even if I were a sorcerer, I would never put that curse on you (especially when I'm already worried you'll become Cate at the end of Blue Jasmine whenever the inevitable moment he wins an Oscar comes).

Just now, That One Guy said:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button is better than I remembered and I already had a positive opinion on it.  The ending kills me emotionally.

It's definitely underappreciated, despite being a Best Picture nominee. The "chaos theory" sequence is one of my favorite scenes ever in a Fincher film.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

double-featured Resolution and Spring. the former is good but the latter is terrific. heard tons of the "Before Sunrise but ______" descriptions but still wasn't prepared for how self-assured and likable it would be. quite a leap tbh. excited to see The Endless tomorrow.

I thought The Endless was a pretty substantial step down from Spring unfortunately

• Sad 1

I hate how our intellectual property rights system works.  It creates so much deadweight loss, or lost potential productivity, because there’s a creative landmine for innovators who could get sued for using a basic chord progression + rhythm for their music, or something basic like that.

Copyrights should expire after the originally slated 17 years (or at the very least 17 years if you or your company were not the original content creators.  I could be okay with original creators having it for life).  It’d actually force more innovation, as companies couldn’t keep piggy-backing off of their same franchises or titles, it’d allow more freely creative use of properties, and you wouldn’t have everything from strings of digital code being copyrighted.  And the copyright timeframe is still long enough to provide an incentive to create.

It doesn’t make sense that you could have the Tolkien estate (for example) blocking others from producing Middle Earth contents when the actual creator of the world is long dead.  Like, if somebody wanted to create a Middle Earth Skyrim mod it makes no sense why they should have to cease and desist from creating because a company that didn’t create the actual middle earth content doesn’t want it to exist.

Or in the Walt Disney case, it’s rather annoying we’ll never get any new public domain content in the relative future because for some reason because they don’t want Mickey to be public domain.

More intellectual property in the public domain is better for everyone.  

Granted, all of this goes along with the fact that corporations are too privileged right now to begin with.  

• Like 2

Lean on Pete was pretty underwhelming.  Probably the most disappointing film of the year imo.  The film seemed pretty content with just wallowing in the misery of the main character.  I'm not quite sure if I can explain why this concept works for something like, say, Manchester by the Sea and not for this, but I guess it depends on the execution?  Charlie Plummer is great though, put him in more stuff.