Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney's streaming service launching next year has been named: Disney Play.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/features/media-streaming-services-netflix-disney-comcast-att-1202910463/

Disney Pay would have been more apt :P

either way, this isn't something that affects me since I'm not really interested in getting it

29 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'll see what it offers and I might get it.   Actually I'd like to know if one day I feel like watching some Donald Duck cartoons from the 40's can I just pull it up on the service.

Didn't they already confirm that most Disney stuff from throughout their entire history will be available on it?

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Didn't they already confirm that most Disney stuff from throughout their entire history will be available on it?

Abandoning the concept of volt and artificial scarcity for their classic would be quite the shift, it did and still going so well for them as a model to conserve values of their franchise.

Maybe, but I doubt they will put everything always available, from Bambi, Snow White to Jungle Book, 

could be different in the US, but on Amazon Canada their classic cost a fortune and are quite rare, it must be on purpose.

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The fact they are downplaying expectations about the amount of content and the low price, so I would expect that the classics may be limited to start. Would make sense looking at the ESPN streaming service (ESPN+). A lot of hype around it, but came out with much less content than most expected (doesn't include any content that is already under contract for linear ESPN), but it is at a very fair price point ($5/month, $50/annually). But it still had a lot of goods for people who are big fans of certain sports, like soccer, boxing, and a mix of games from the major sports leagues. ESPN will continue to slowly expand that platform and will likely fully transition to it when linear TV finally dies. I'm sure Disney will follow that model for Play.

From the article, it sounds like they'll wait out their current rights contracts instead of trying to get everything back at once. Since they don't have their entire library of stuff to begin with (including a lot of the recent stuff in MCU/SW/Animation/Pixar that people will be eager to stream), it's unlikely the amount of people they need to break even on the service at a higher price point than Netflix will want to pay that even if the quality is high quality.  They likely will want to build up the subscriber base at first, and the easiest way to do that is with a low starting price to undercut Netflix with a limited selection and continually increase it with a mix of new/old until they have enough content where a price increase won't cause mass cancellations.

Will it ever be the entire Disney library? Who knows. I think that will eventually be their safest bet to maximize profit when we are fully in the streaming age to get the largest number of subscribers at the highest possible price point.

Edited by Jayhawk

12 minutes ago, DAR said:

I would expect things to be on a rotation

I would also expect some made up artificial rarity put in the system like a rotation, with movie available just for a limited window out of the volt, 5-6 month every 5 year's or something like that.

All available would make everything lost in a sea of content and could destroy value. They do not even let people buy their classic on bluray for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would also expect some made up artificial rarity put in the system like a rotation, with movie available just for a limited window out of the volt, 5-6 month every 5 year's or something like that.

All available would make everything lost in a sea of content and could destroy value. They do not even let people buy their classic on bluray for the most part.

Seems to work for Netflix. Although you are right about Disney not doing that traditionally.

I guess we don't really know how a successful, long-term from a content producer with a library like Disney's would run a streaming service. Rotating stuff in and out would give people a reason to stay subscribed. But I doubt they would take off any of the SW movies once they get them all on there for instance.

19 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Seems to work for Netflix. Although you are right about Disney not doing that traditionally.

I would not say that the movie marketing system (that would make it good to create value for park attraction/long cultural impact/toys and merch etc...) seem to work for what Disney is trying to accomplish has a business or even for Netflix frankly.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NFLX/financials?p=NFLX

Netflix in 2017, 560m earning on 11.7b revenues, 4.7% margin (first time they made some money in a while)

Disney 8.98b earning on 55.14b revenues, 16.3% margin

I really doubt Disney is interested in Netflix type of margin they are in different category all together at the moment. But is also that those classic they own are mostly if not all about feeding the Disney park and other business sector, it could be better for them if no one watch those old Mickey Mouse cartoons  even if the audience would be paying to watch them.

Netflix model seem to be working well for TV series type output, for movies I am unsure (that they gain / sustain enough subscriber to pay that 80-150m cost with less than 2 hours of content). For that next Bay movie to be profitable, you need like 1m account kept or gained because of it over 18 months.

Edited by Barnack

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would not say that the movie marketing system (that would make it good to create value for park attraction/long cultural impact/toys and merch etc...) seem to work for what Disney is trying to accomplish has a business or even for Netflix frankly.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NFLX/financials?p=NFLX

Netflix in 2017, 560m earning on 11.7b revenues, 4.7% margin (first time they made some money in a while)

Disney 8.98b earning on 55.14b revenues, 16.3% margin

I really doubt Disney is interested in Netflix type of margin they are in different category all together at the moment. But is also that those classic they own are mostly if not all about feeding the Disney park and other business sector, it could be better for them if no one watch those old Mickey Mouse cartoons  even if the audience would be paying to watch them.

Netflix model seem to be working well for TV series type output, for movies I am unsure (that they gain / sustain enough subscriber to pay that 80-150m cost with less than 2 hours of content). For that next Bay movie to be profitable, you need like 1m account kept or gained because of it over 18 months.

I don't think Netflix is necessarily concerned with traditional notions of profitability per film/project. I just think they want to build up a diverse library of content so that they have more than enough to fall back on when all the major studios inevitably pull their own IP from them. That's why they are spending $12b+ a year on content, they have a lot of "catching-up to do," so to speak.

I'm sure Disney wants a better profit margin than Netflix but they also have to face the new reality as well. At some point in the near-ish future streaming will likely be completely dominant and they must adapt (which is what they are doing now). Luckily for them they don't need to spend nearly as much as Netflix does for new content.

24 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

At last, we'll finally be able to stream such Disney classics like Operation Dumbo Drop and Super Mario Bros. The Movie.

I kind of remember liking Operation Dumbo Drop