Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Destroyer was good. Dunno if I'm quite as over the moon with it as @Telemachos is, but Nicole Kidman gives a really dark, haunting performance. Not surprised by how much it's bombing though; there were multiple walkouts in my audience.

Wait did you watch this in Tallahassee?

Am I going to drive 2 hours to see my fave in a movie that's not a goddamn disaster?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Wait did you watch this in Tallahassee?

Am I going to drive 2 hours to see my fave in a movie that's not a goddamn disaster?

Yes. Should probably hurry bc I doubt it'll last another week lol

14 minutes ago, RichWS said:

For the first time in five years, I'm staying home for the game. I can't do the hangout this year. Gonna order some Chinese, kick back and yell at my Mac. 

On the contrary, I am going out tonight 🤔

• Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, RichWS said:

For the first time in five years, I'm staying home for the game. I can't do the hangout this year. Gonna order some Chinese, kick back and yell at my Mac. 

I got sick on Friday (dang weird cold virus), so I'm doing the same to not infect anyone...

I did make a large pot of chili (and have all the toppings) so my family can eat as they want around the game...even used my spouse's homebrew, so he can have the same beer as is in the chili...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Destroyer was good. Dunno if I'm quite as over the moon with it as @Telemachos is, but Nicole Kidman gives a really dark, haunting performance. Not surprised by how much it's bombing though; there were multiple walkouts in my audience.

Walkouts?! wtf, this isn’t some weird-ass art movie or some super-gory disturbing thing. 

15 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The Punisher season 2 is really clever. 

They’ve made it so excruciatingly painful to watch that you actually feel like you’ve had a visit from Frank. 

I thought it was okay. Definitely a let down from the first season. I wish Karen was in it more. 

It's wonderful how Netflix puts a new movie out and everyone in any part of the world can watch it. People talking about Bird Box and Velvet Buzzsaw and you can watch it right now. Not like Serenity which everyone was talking about the crazy twist and I can't see it for myself. And when Life Itself came out and people saying how a trainwreck it was, that made it a must see for me but it's still not on streaming here and I already lost interest because no one is talking about it anymore.

I think Bird Box may have been a game changer for Netflix because their previous original movies never really blew up like their series, but this one really dominated online conversation, and a lot of filmmakers will want that kind of reach for their movies. It was something the theatrical release is not providing for low to mid budget movies anymore.

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Walkouts?! wtf, this isn’t some weird-ass art movie or some super-gory disturbing thing. 

Two people walked out about halfway into the movie, and there was another walkout sometime in the third act. The movie's pacing isn't GA friendly at all lol

Just now, RichWS said:

I enjoyed Annihilation a bit more on second viewing. There's still a certain remove from it I feel, but can't deny the visual beauty Garland and Rob Hardy create and Portman is very strong.

It’s a very distant film emotionally; keeps its characters at arm’s length and examines them clinically (almost like an alien trying to understand humans).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It’s 2 hours long. We’re doomed. 

I saw Beale Street last night, and while walking out, I overheard someone talking about how they got kinda bored by it because "a lot of it is just pictures of faces". I started to scream internally

(btw @Morieris Beale Street is good as hell. Hope you find a theater that's playing it soon. :D)

• Like 2

Annihilation really didn't click with me. Had no idea wtf the point of the finale was. In interstellar it didn't particularly resonate to me but at least I understood what they were attempting.

No clue with annihilation. I liked some of the production design tho.

• Like 1

I really loved Annihilation. I loved the journey through the Florida wilderness, I loved the bear scene, I loved that the climax was drawn out to maximize the high point. It was an impressive display of craftsmanship. One of my top five favorite films of the year, with no chance for any other films to take its spot away.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1