Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Definitely of interest given how topical the state of the film industry is these days.

This entire section is just crazy

Let's talk about China because we have seen flare-ups in this battle between free speech and appeasing the Chinese government. What is the censorship limit for Hollywood? Alan, the star of your upcoming Mulan picture voiced support for Hong Kong police, which sparked a #BoycottMulan movement.

HORN First of all, if Mulan doesn't work in China, we have a problem. But my feeling is that free speech is an important component of our society, and folks ought to be able to say what they want to say. And I can't speak for what Yifei Liu says in China, and we didn't know what she was going to say. We try to be nonpolitical. There is always an issue somewhere in the world, and China happens to be a very, very big market, but it's not the only market where there have been issues. The only thing I have said to the folks that work with me is to keep in mind that when you speak, [the media will quote you]. And that carries with it a certain responsibility. Be sensible and think before you speak. Especially on social media.

Does it bother you that your movies can't offend China?

HORN No. We are making movies that are designed to be seen by an appreciative audience [everywhere]. We don't wish to be political. And to get dragged into a political discussion, I would argue, is sort of inherently unfair. We are not politicians.

GIANOPULOS I think there is also a difference between pandering and cultural sensitivity. You know, there is a big spotlight on China because of its growing global dominance and because of the limitations on press and freedoms in the country. But Malaysia, other parts of the world, India, we have been censoring movies for years [there] just to address the concerns of individual markets. When you do it in China it becomes pandering.

Donna, Fast & Furious is so big there, I'm guessing there won't be a Chinese villain in a future Fast movie.

LANGLEY We run a business. We have to be sensitive to important markets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Definitely of interest given how topical the state of the film industry is these days.

Just came here to post this. GREAT read. Also it's kind of wild to me that by "7 Hollywood studio chiefs" They mean the majors, plus Amazon and Netflix.    

That netflix guy seems to really appreciate the storytelling power of the MCU, more than some of the traditional studio heads. 

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I am confused with the HBO thing.

Where will be the whole Warner/Time Warner movie and television catalog ?

ON another streaming site ?

Will need for all the already signed current deal (Wizardry world in part of all is to universal until 2025) to see how it really shake down I feel like.

Some jurisdiction could be different.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Connor said:

Daddy Rothman knows what’s up

Technically, they are both right.

Written works, both fiction and nonfiction, are all literature in one sense - that's why you study "literature" in high school, and not books/poetry/essays/songs/etc...the question is are they going to be considered "classic" literature in a few decades.  We've moved away from the classic term and tried to just take the old word literature and now also deem it as works with the highest artistic merit...but that's not really the original intent, and hasn't really been helpful:).

So, as a resident comics aficionado, I place most comics in the John Grisham/Carolyn Keene vein - fun reads, but nothing more.  Now, there are a few comics that might rise to the "classic" term...but we'll see after they have a few more decades to be remembered or forgotten:)...

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Technically, they are both right.

Written works, both fiction and nonfiction, are all literature in one sense - that's why you study "literature" in high school, and not books/poetry/essays/songs/etc...the question is are they going to be considered "classic" literature in a few decades.  We've moved away from the classic term and tried to just take the old word literature and now also deem it as works with the highest artistic merit...but that's not really the original intent, and hasn't really been helpful:).

So, as a resident comics aficionado, I place most comics in the John Grisham/Carolyn Keene vein - fun reads, but nothing more.  Now, there are a few comics that might rise to the "classic" term...but we'll see after they have a few more decades to be remembered or forgotten:)...

hmm true. I do want to get into some Carl Barks stuff.

After all comic books or graphic novels are technically eligible to win the Pulitzer for fiction...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This entire section is just crazy

Those guys are so monumentally full of shit lol.   If they were asked about diversity, human rights, or the importance of free speech in art under normal circumstances, they'd be riding in on that horse all day.   But when asked about ass-backwards China, they evade dance around the issue while saying "we're not political, we business bro" in as many ways as possible because of all the extra dollars that market brings in.  Kinda Amazing how China is sorta acting as Hollywood's(and other companies like Blizzard) MPAA

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Everyone wants that China money (unless you're Tarantino lol).

or South Park