Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

38 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I can't say I understand why Cole never pitched in this game.

The whole "Clean inning" thing.  Hinch is gonna get criticized for his seventh inning decisions (which I don't think he should be), but he would have been roasted if he brought in Cole in that situation instead and Cole was the one to cough it up.

As you say, Greinke was dealing.  Then gopher ball and single walk.  He brought in someone who had been strong all year and he just didn't execute.

I suppose he could have brought in Cole in the eighth or ninth to keep it close, but then it's time to point the fingers at the offense for only scoring two runs.  Especially since Scherzer was pretty shaky (by Mad Max standards) all game long.

So I ain't putting this on Hinch.  Hell, I'm not even putting it on the offense.  Just think it wasn't meant to be, as I said.

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Porthos said:

The whole "Clean inning" thing.  Hinch is gonna get criticized for his seventh inning decisions (which I don't think he should be), but he would have been roasted if he brought in Cole in that situation instead and Cole was the one to cough it up.

As you say, Greinke was dealing.  Then gopher ball and single.  He brought in someone who had been strong all year and he just didn't execute.

I suppose he could have brought in Cole in the eighth or ninth to keep it close, but then it's time to point the fingers at the offense for only scoring two runs.  Especially since Scherzer was pretty shaky (by Mad Max standards) all game long.

So I ain't putting this on Hinch.  Hell, I'm not even putting it on the offense.  Just think it wasn't meant to be, as I said.

I don't like bringing in Harris after the 2 run homer yesterday. But there's not a lot of people we could trust. Either let Greinke go or put in Harris. 

But still, I do think we should have put in Cole to keep it close. A 1-2 run deficit is a hell of a lot better than 4, which weights down on a player's mind.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

But still, I do think we should have put in Cole to keep it close. A 1-2 run deficit is a hell of a lot better than 4, which weights down on a player's mind.

That's pretty fair.  Can't say I was pleased to see Osuna come in the game, for instance.  For more than one reason. 

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't like bringing in Harris after the 2 run homer yesterday. But there's not a lot of people we could trust. Either let Greinke go or put in Harris. 

We should've just let Greinke keep going. He was red-hot. But I'm not sure it would've mattered unless he went all 9.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Watching the game, I told my spouse that the minute the manager pulled Greinke when his pitch count was still under 80, they were gonna lose.  Didn't know it would be as rapid a loss as it was...but Nats never hit Greinke in game 3, and hadn't hit him in game 7...one home run and one walk is not the reason to pull the guy who has been so dominant all night.

The Nats always let Scherzer and Strasburg pitch out of their troubles...and they won.  You gotta let your stars be stars sometimes.  Astros guy just over-managed, and didn't let his best guys play.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Watching the game, I told my spouse that the minute the manager pulled Greinke when his pitch count was still under 80, they were gonna lose.  Didn't know it would be as rapid a loss as it was...but Nats never hit Greinke in game 3, and hadn't hit him in game 7...one home run and one walk is not the reason to pull the guy who has been so dominant all night.

The Nats always let Scherzer and Strasburg pitch out of their troubles...and they won.  You gotta let your stars be stars sometimes.  Astros guy just over-managed, and didn't let his best guys play.

To be fair, Greinke has had a ton of traffic all postseason. Like it always felt like he was on the precipice of breaking. Obviously not tonight, but he was fortunate to walk away in Game 3 without allowing more.

Still, Hinch had a lot of faith in his BP and probably too much. The problem is the Nats had too many looks at the vast majority of them.

• Like 2

BTW, can we all just agree that the strike zone was a frigging joke (for both teams)?

Had to laugh when the announcers said he was picked because he had the most accurate zone in the league this year.  Or maybe it was "one of the most".  Regardless, it was just a terrible zone.  Especially since it seemed to wander a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, can we all just agree that the strike zone was a frigging joke (for both teams)?

Had to laugh when the announcers said he was picked because he had the most accurate zone in the league this year.  Or maybe it was "one of the most".  Regardless, it was just a terrible zone.  Especially since it seemed to wander a bit.

All series the zone was just terrible and so many bad calls. We need robo umps ASAP.

• Like 1

I see the collective Mega Geniuses of Twitter are out in force tonight. 👍

===

Seriously, is it just me or are they getting more and more reactionary every passing year?  And I'm including the blue checkmarks here as well as the randos out there.

34 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The close-ups on Ryan Zimmerman’s face at two questionable strike calls in one of his at-bats was priceless.

• Like 1

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

Tag yourselves. Forums are a dying breed anyways.

"Admin is the janitor, the cop, the mayor, the judge and sometimes even the forum doctor who tends to Warriors injured in battle - in other words, Nanny on steroids. Because he runs the forum and sets the rules Admin has the power to pull the plug on any Warrior who gets a little too frisky. Sometimes his efforts are appreciated, but like any authority figure he is also resented - especially by Jerk, Evil Clown, Enfant Provocateur, Ego, Rebel Without a Clue, Yuk Yuk, Troller, and other Warriors who would like to turn the forum into their personal playground. Most Admins are generally fair and even handed, but the adage that absolute power corrupts absolutely is as true on the internet as it is anywhere else, and it is a rare Admin who can resist bringing the hammer down if seriously pressed by a determined foe. Sycophant and other suckups will also attach themselves to a strong Admin to form a defensive perimeter around him, and more often than not Admin's enemies will be driven off without him ever having to brandish his ax. CAUTION: Admin is the most powerful of all Warriors and drawing him into direct battle invites almost certain defeat. Rebel Leader does pose a limited threat to Admin's power by fomenting a revolt and causing forum members to jump ship"

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

Congrats @Jayhawk

I'm glad that Greinke wasn't the one to lose it for us. That trade would have been slagged forever. But no, he threw a great game. The problem was, and had been for most of the season, RISP. I can't say I understand why Cole never pitched in this game.

But now I can throw away these dynasty hopes and never get my hopes up again as high as I did this year. With the front office and stuff, I'll never dedicate as much time to baseball as I did this season. 

And now to a night of fireworks that'll keep me from sleeping. Remember I LIVE in DC.

You have a great team and fought hard. I don't understand some of the managerial decisions. I know it's not gonna feel great being here while everyone is excited. I'm really sorry it ended this way for you and your team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1