Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

26 minutes ago, In XXR We Trust said:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The two closest theaters near me are Regals. Only just a 10 minute drive. Now I'll likely have to go 45 minutes to the nearest AMC, which has way less screens and options. What a waste.

14 minutes ago, Eric the Lion said:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The two closest theaters near me are Regals. Only just a 10 minute drive. Now I'll likely have to go 45 minutes to the nearest AMC, which has way less screens and options. What a waste.

I doubt they’ll actually close any theaters. Well, maybe some underperforming ones. Mostly this is just for restructuring.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, In XXR We Trust said:

Theaters continue to show how alive and well they are. The next evidence is the amount of HITS and totally not 5M openers until mid October.

36 minutes ago, In XXR We Trust said:

Honestly doesn't surprise me. They way overspent after the acquisition, often for cosmetic changes with minimal direct ROI, then COVID came and crushed revenue stream and they closed completely, letting the bills pile up with zero revenue.

And FWIW, filing for bankruptcy doesn't mean shutting down: I believe every MTC has done it at least once, with the last round in the early 2000s after massive expansion in late 90s that left too many locations and not enough baseline revenue to support them all.  Now we're in a post-pandemic/rise of streaming world, and its time to trim the fat again. There will likely be some closures down the line, but no need to panic if your closest/preferred theater is under the Regal umbrella (at least not yet)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Theaters continue to show how alive and well they are. The next evidence is the amount of HITS and totally not 5M openers until mid October.

That's on the studios though, not theaters, and is directly the result of a pandemic limiting production and reducing the volume of available release. By next year it should be back on "normal" track and we can better evaluate the market and health of theaters

I rarely go to a Regal (haven't been to one of their theaters since at least before the pandemic) so I can't claim to be too broken up over their apparent turmoil. If they went under I imagine AMC or Cinemark would just buy up their locations, at least the most popular ones anyway.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

shit and I was just going to get a job at Regal... I hope.

Maybe it doesn't matter on the employee level. 🤷‍♂️

I was at Cineworld during their last round of “restructuring” where they made everyone re-apply for their own jobs under slightly differently worded contracts, and while this won’t directly affect the lower level customer facing staff (who are mostly zero hours contracts anyway), I’d imagine that the managers and team leaders will be sweating right now.

The amount of hours available for the concessions and floor staff will likely drop though as they try to save money.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

slightly differently worded contracts, and while this won’t directly affect the lower level customer facing staff (who are mostly zero hours contracts anyway)

I think USA employment laws might be different from UK ones in this respect, like contracts, but I don't know for sure.

6 hours ago, Eric the Lion said:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I doubt a chain as big as Regalis just going to vanish.

I suspect it will be bought, and, maybe, under better management survive. But a lot of the less profitable theaters are going to be sold.

I suspect Regal overexpanded, built too many theaters and too many screens. And a empty theater cost as much as a full theater when it comes to o overhead..which can be a killer.

Bruh this place is deader than a doornail and looking ahead its probably gonna stay that way until Black Panther and Avatar.  May check in on the House of the Dragon and Rings of Poopie threads over the next few weeks but other than that, I'm afraid I must take my exquisite posting elsewhere for the time being.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like Tom Brady is one of those people who is definitely too high above The Masked Singer's pay grade lol.

Dancing with the Stars was a joke even in its heyday but still got Hall of Fame-level athletes. Brady's an all-timer, but maybe his kid would be more impressed to see him as a singing goat or something.