Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I watched EVO Fighting Game Championships till 3am because they went like 2 hours overtime and I'm gonna guess it's not as enlightening of an experience as the above mentioned films in the posts above.

Eh, seeing a gay black furry school a bunch of people and be the Dragon Ball FighterZ world champion is pretty enlightening.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I had to skip Street Fighter cause of work. Oh well, at least I got to see Negan in Tekken live.

I had work today too but at 1am or so, I felt like I was too deep into the rabbit hole, but then it just wouldn't end. So I decided to go the whole way.

It was an enjoyable grand final, though the last set was a disappointment. The download was complete by that point.

• Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Was there a superhero movie in August last year?

I know there's one this year (The Meg :sparta:) but I think last year might be the first since 2014 that there wasn't.

Nope. It's strange how studios seem to have pretty much abandoned August even though Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad made oodles of money in the first weekend slot. Though that Fast & the Furious spin-off should give it a resurgence next year assuming it sticks with the August release date.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Was there a superhero movie in August last year?

I know there's one this year (The Meg :sparta:) but I think last year might be the first since 2014 that there wasn't.

Idris Elba, Halle Berry, Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Brie Larson, Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sebastian Stan all play Marvel heroes and appeared in an August 2017 movie, so yeah, there was plenty of representation.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Idris Elba, Halle Berry, Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Brie Larson, Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sebastian Stan all play Marvel heroes and appeared in an August 2017 movie, so yeah, there was plenty of representation.

I was trying to remember what Stan was in :lol: Soderbergh is the king of bit roles.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I was trying to remember what Stan was in :lol: Soderbergh is the king of bit roles.

Also of note, while looking to see whether Nut Job 2 had any Marvel heroes (it kinda does, if you count Bobby Cannavale), I didn't know until now that Jeff Dunham, the racist puppet guy, was a cast member in the Nut Job movies. Learn something new every day I guess.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nope. It's strange how studios seem to have pretty much abandoned August even though Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad made oodles of money in the first weekend slot. Though that Fast & the Furious spin-off should give it a resurgence next year assuming it sticks with the August release date.

Last summer was death after the Dunkirk weekend. Studios just gave up post mid-July. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Last summer was death after the Dunkirk weekend. Studios just gave up post mid-July. 

Hell, it looks like they gave up this year too after Mission: Impossible for the most part. Even though Crazy Rich Asians is looking more and more like a surprise hit so there's at least one win to tide us over until the fall film festivals + fall film season + awards season begins.

36 minutes ago, AJG said:

Rewatching Walk The Line. Giniffer Goodwin going from this to Once Upon a Time is a truly a Hollywood mystery to me. Who did she piss off?

Think my favorite performance from her (come at me, Zootopia fans) is her somewhat flaky character in He's Just Not That Into You.

Related image

43 minutes ago, AJG said:

Rewatching Walk The Line. Giniffer Goodwin going from this to Once Upon a Time is a truly a Hollywood mystery to me. Who did she piss off?

She became a casualty of the Hollywood romcom dying. She seemed perfect to be the next IT girl in romcoms.

• Knock It Off 1