Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

watched Muriel's Wedding. did not expect this to be the most wildly unpredictable movie I've seen in ages. not everything works but I've got a ton of respect for a movie that swings so tirelessly for the fences and largely succeeds. Collette and Rachel Griffiths are great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

watched Muriel's Wedding. did not expect this to be the most wildly unpredictable movie I've seen in ages. not everything works but I've got a ton of respect for a movie that swings so tirelessly for the fences and largely succeeds. Collette and Rachel Griffiths are great.

Definitely an underappreciated movie. Even more surprisingly when you consider that it must have at least partially influenced the existence of Mamma Mia! the original Broadway musical, given the ABBA heavy soundtrack and wedding-centric plots of both. Even their posters are similar.

Muriels wedding poster.jpg  Mammamiaposter.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely an underappreciated movie. Even more surprisingly when you consider that it must have at least partially influenced the existence of Mamma Mia! the original Broadway musical, given the ABBA heavy soundtrack and wedding-centric plots of both. Even their posters are similar.

Muriels wedding poster.jpg  Mammamiaposter.jpg

That poster is darkly funny in retrospect given the circumstances of the actual wedding in the movie. It goes into some pretty raw and uncomfortable places I could definitely imagine people being put off by it, or liking it themselves but hesitating to recommend. Really an antithesis of Mamma Mia in more than a few ways. (And also a hell of a lot better ABBA tribute.)

• Like 1

“They said no because they’d had a bad experience with another filmmaker who had promised not to make fun of them or their music,” Hogan recalls, citing a Swedish filmmaker who had been granted permission to use “Dancing Queen” with the proviso that he would treat the song—their biggest hit—with respect. “And then they saw the movie and they’d been lied to,” Hogan continues. “The scene unfolded with a little old man sitting in a wheelchair masturbating as a big fat hooker dances to ‘Dancing Queen.’ So you can imagine what they thought.”

In the fallout, the duo issued a blanket “no” to filmmakers. Hogan was persistent, adamant that Muriel’s Wedding could not be made without their music. His final plan: To fly to Stockholm and smoke them out. “I had their address, so I was going to camp outside their offices until they saw me and make my case in person that I’m not that filmmaker and they would be proud of the movie. It’s a hymn to ABBA! Muriel loves ABBA, and I love ABBA. So my producer, being very smart, bought the ticket but sent a photocopy of it to Benny and Bjorn. And the day before I was going to get on the flight, they said, ‘Stop him, you’ve got the rights.’ …They did not want this crazy person hanging outside their office!”

https://ew.com/article/2015/10/13/how-abba-waterloo-scene-made-muriels-wedding/

• Like 1