Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

https://www.tmz.com/2019/01/29/empire-star-jussie-smollett-attacked-hospitalized-homophobic-hate-crime/

TMZ found these photos of awful letters sent to Smollett. Not sure if there is any correlation between this attack and the letters but shit like this has been going on for way too long. They also look like they were written by a 2-year-old which shows the mental capacity of these MAGA dumbnuts.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Incidents like these make you realise how much effort still needs to be made. Trump was necessary for America and the rest of the world too after Obama to remind just that sole thing.

Are you really implying that everybody thought that homophobia had gone extinct following the Supreme Court's decision in June 2015? Ditto racism, which was alive and well throughout Obama's two terms.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Incidents like these make you realise how much effort still needs to be made. Trump was necessary for America and the rest of the world too after Obama to remind just that sole thing.

Honestly, Trump becoming president and Republicans becoming more fascist than ever has made Democrats a lot more liberal (they used to be a lot more moderate, maybe even slightly right leaning) and we might actually have some good candidates like Bernie Sanders or Kamala Harris running for 2020 who will actually help improve these shitty conditions.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Are you really implying that everybody thought that homophobia had gone extinct following the Supreme Court's decision in June 2015? Ditto racism, which was alive and well throughout Obama's two terms.

Homophobia is even more dismissed than racism is. If I had a dime everytime I heard gay people have nothing to fight for anymore I would wholeheartedly hate AOC.

Liberals were living in a fantasy world under Obama. They stopped being involved in politics thus the midterms failures. Now people have woken up a bit and it's great to see that.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

hate crime is the #1 worst invention of the 21st century.

It is not illegal to be racist, so why does it command a harsher sentence when you are racist and commit a crime compared to the same crime but without your racist opinion motiviation.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

It is not illegal to be racist, so why does it command a harsher sentence when you are racist and commit a crime compared to the same crime but without your racist opinion motiviation.

Sentence tend to take chance to redo the crime in the future strongly and character flaw into account, that why premeditated version of the same crime will have harsher sentence for example.

If your crime have a motivation that will still exist in the future and not exceptional for the situation, chance you will redo it are stronger, you are a bigger risk for society and get removed from it longer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Sentence tend to take chance to redo the crime in the future strongly and character flaw into account, that why premeditated version of the same crime will have harsher sentence for example.

If your crime have a motivation that will still exist in the future and not exceptional for the situation, chance you will redo it are stronger, you are a bigger risk for society and get removed from it longer.

That's a fair point but that's not the reason usually given for the sentence. Its usually just because racism is oh so horrible and offensive so lets just give you extra time behind bars. Well maybe it is horrible and offensive but it is not illegal.

Beating someone up is awful and you should be imprisoned for the same amount of time whether you did it because you don't like gays, or because you don't like the shirt the person is wearing or because whatever X reason.

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:

They might as well lose the "possible" from that headline.

Unfortunately, it looks like the "possible" was warranted...the cops have now stated that there was no MAGA hats and that the perps can't be described as white, since they were completely covered (by ski masks and gloves)...whoever did it may not be the perp the media initially had in mind...

And it can't be completely ruled out that we have been hoaxed before...this has some pretty interesting circumstances for a sub-zero Chicago night...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Unfortunately, it looks like the "possible" was warranted...the cops have now stated that there was no MAGA hats and that the perps can't be described as white, since they were completely covered (by ski masks and gloves)...whoever did it may not be the perp the media initially had in mind...

And it can't be completely ruled out that we have been hoaxed before...this has some pretty interesting circumstances for a sub-zero Chicago night...

The FBI is now involved because of earlier threats. It doesn't have to have MAGA-quotes (or hats) to be a hate crime.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Avatree said:

This is such a weird comment. I am not a lawyer but of cource motivation matters in any crime. That's like equating self-defence to a first-degree murder.

Furthermore, even if you get past that minorities are way more vulnurable groups so of cource they need better protection since they are more likely to get attacked.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

abject motives are or should be harsher judged

In Germany we actually have e.g. a law against incitement of the masses

There is a difference between free speach and.... That

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksverhetzung

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The FBI is now involved because of earlier threats. It doesn't have to have MAGA-quotes (or hats) to be a hate crime.

True...but the circumstances are not what one would normally see for one...

If the timing of the event is true, at 2:00am on a weeknight in Chicago on one of the coldest nights of the year, how many folks are walking around with a noose looking to throw one on someone for a random hate crime?  Not saying it didn't happen, but I've learned to sit back and wait 72 hours to see if a story actually hangs together that long, especially in the last 12 months...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

This is such a dumb comment. I am not a lawyer but of cource motivation matters in any crime. That's like equating self-defence to a first-degree murder.

Furthermore, even if you get past that minorities are way more vulnurable groups so of cource they need better protection since they are more likely to get attacked.

That is a good point too :) 

sorry I didn't mean to cause offence.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

That is a good point too :) 

sorry I didn't mean to cause offence.

No offense at all. I edited the 'dumb' and made it 'weird' cause that's a more accurate description of how I felt reading your comment given it comes from someone who has self-identified as a member of a minority that is receiving lots of violence.

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No offense at all. I edited the 'dumb' and made it 'weird' cause that's a more accurate description of how I felt reading your comment given it comes from someone who has self-identified as a member of a minority that is receiving lots of violence.

I used to be gay not any more. Just a regular straight white male, sorry to disappoint :sparta: