Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Quoting this post from the weekend here because discussion on the subject probably doesn't belong there. That and it's a really great post.

13 hours ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

So in a time in which white actresses can be nudged aside from playing long established white female characters for the sake of diversity, its Scarlet who is tone deaf for not wanting restrictions? When people rush to the defense of Disney casting a black actress for Little Mermaid are they not also asking the same thing by wanting to do away with any preconceived restrictions on who could play what? Or is the selective outrage limited to only white folks who want to benefit from some race-bended casting as well?

I'm African American and a progressive. I have been keeping up with the casting of black people in film and television for nearly 20 years. I even used to write articles at times for a black entertainment website. I say this only as a preemptive strike towards any who would dismiss my two cents by presuming I'm white or I'm a bigot or I'm hardcore right-wing or that I'm all of the above. I'm none of those things. I just can't abide by double standards. And I see such double standards when people cheer on Disney making a movie out of the old, popular novel A Wrinkle In Time and call anyone who question the casting for that film as racist or stuck in the past. When you point out to them how offended they may be if a white actor is chosen for a role meant for a person of color, like Scarlet in Ghost In the Shell, they claim that's different; they act as if appropriation, cultural or otherwise, can only be applied only if white people are doing it.

Last year I was upset to see left-leaning people practically stalk all of Naomi Scott's tweets and Instagram posts because they were upset about her casting as Jasmine in Aladdin. They insulted her and claimed she should walk away from the role because she wasn 't ethnically or racially right for the role in their minds. She was half Indian and thus didn't meet the standards in their eyes. Some even denied that part of her heritage and emphasized how she was white (she is half white). A year later we have people on my side of the political aisle stressing how the casting of a black Ariel doesn't matter because mermaids don't exist and the story was just a piece of fiction written by some European man. Well, Aladdin is also a piece of fiction based upon work by a European man that takes place in a kingdom that doesn't exist. So tell me why the different reactions by the left on social media for these two separate casting decisions? And why is it that the media is doing pushback against those complaining about the casting for Little Mermaid but conveniently remained unaware of all the vitriol that was directed Scott's way when she got the role in Aladdin? Apparently Scarlet Johansson isn't the only who is tone deaf.

We can't ever make up for all the lost time and lost chances of decades worth of Hollywood 's apartheid casting. All we can or should do is give everyone equal opportunities going forward. Equal opportunities means equal treatment too. Thinking it's okay for people of color to go after roles of established white characters because it makes up for past digressions while at the same time frowning on the idea of white people taking roles playing established non-white characters may be understandable. But it is still hypocritical.

And another thing: It's not Scarjo's freaking responsibility to turn down roles for other people! If a trans person had been cast to play a trans character I would have been thrilled, but that's the studio's responsibility to do so. Scarlett saying she should be able to play any character she wants is absolutely 100% true. Like, this shouldn't even be a fucking discussion. There's nothing wrong with what she said. Not even close! The fact there needs to be more opportunities for minorities is a completely different discussion and she shouldn't have to make her interviews all politically correct like a drone.

Nobody can say or be what they want in today's outrage culture that is completely dominated by the left. You just can't. So much scrutiny and vitriol over non-issues. Gah! I just needed to vent. World's going to hell in a hand basket.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

If a trans person had been cast to play a trans character I would have been thrilled, but that's the studio's responsibility to do so.

That project was not connected to a Studio at the time, and she "was producing."  It was 100% her responsibility.  They could have had her step aside, cast a trans actor, and still made the film with her producing.  Now the movie's probably never going to get made.  So,

Screen_Shot_2019-07-15_at_7.56.31_AM.png

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

That project was not connected to a Studio at the time, and she "was producing."  It was 100% her responsibility.  They could have had her step aside, cast a trans actor, and still made the film with her producing.  Now the movie's probably never going to get made.  So,

Screen_Shot_2019-07-15_at_7.56.31_AM.png

So will gay characters in film have to be played by people are 100% gay... if they are bi sexual or straight it would be offensive no?

XD

Edited by Lordmandeep

49 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's not Scarjo's freaking responsibility to turn down roles for other people!

It actually is. Like literally. It is the responsibility of privileged people to create spaces and opportunities for minorities. 

Nobody can say or be what they want in today's outrage culture that is completely dominated by the left. You just can't. So much scrutiny and vitriol over non-issues. Gah! I just needed to vent. World's going to hell in a hand basket.

Yeah, left-wing people on the internet are the ones destroying the world. Not all the right-wing people in charge of governments and corporations.

Edited by Mekanos

16 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

It actually is. Like literally. It is the responsibility of privileged people to create spaces and opportunities for minorities. 

Yeah, left-wing people on the internet are the ones destroying the world. Not all the right-wing people in charge of governments and corporations.

So you are saying I can only get a job not due to my intelligence and skill as an indiviudal but due to a racial quota because I identify with a group and for the mercy and blessing 'of them white folks'.

SJO is not sucessfull because she belongs to a group called "them white folks", it is because she has individual talent as an actress and good looks. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

So you are saying I can only get a job not due to my intelligence and skill as an indiviudal but due to a racial quota because I identify with a group? 

Are you applying for a job that can only be reasonably fulfilled by a person of a certain background? Should a white actor put on brownface because they're the "best actor for the job?" You would say no. It's not any different for a cis person playing a trans character.

People should actually listen to trans people on this issue when they are clearly not. Here are two articles written by trans people explaining the issue. Read these and then tell me if you feel differently. 

https://www.them.us/story/why-scarlett-johansson-or-any-cis-actor-should-never-play-trans-roles

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/06/opinion/why-scarlett-johansson-shouldnt-play-a-trans-man.html

11 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Are you applying for a job that can only be reasonably fulfilled by a person of a certain background? Should a white actor put on brownface because they're the "best actor for the job?" You would say no. It's not any different for a cis person playing a trans character.

People should actually listen to trans people on this issue when they are clearly not. Here are two articles written by trans people explaining the issue. Read these and then tell me if you feel differently. 

https://www.them.us/story/why-scarlett-johansson-or-any-cis-actor-should-never-play-trans-roles

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/06/opinion/why-scarlett-johansson-shouldnt-play-a-trans-man.html

When we live in a society with such gender fluidity going on, I dont see it much of an issue of an actor ' acting' outside of their typical gender. 

Now the issue is that she is 'stealing roles' from other trans actors,  I could see...

However using that logic the popularity of Samuela L Jackson is so entrenched in Hollywood, he takes away opportunities from other black actors. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of straight/gay actors playing the opposite of their sexuality on screen. That's been happening since the invention of the industry. It's about creating opportunities for those who haven't had that kind of representation at all (or worse, have been reduced to punchlines whenever present all of these years).

• Like 5

On 7/13/2019 at 7:03 PM, CJohn said:

@4815162342 THOSE DAISY POWERS :ohmygod: What an episode this was.

Reveal hidden contents

I was out of town so I only just watched it. 

Spoiler

95% sure that Davis is infected and the threat is not over. Something seemed a little off with him.

As for Clark Gregg, I get the feeling we'll see him pop up somehow in the final episodes.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Then a white british, Indian mixed girl playing an Arabian Princess should have you guys rioting in the streets then? 

Man I don't know. Are you talking about the latest Aladdin movie?

I do know some people were upset about Crazy Rich Asian's casting.

You know what I hate about this stuff? The people I argue with on these subjects here are the same people I like and admire so much. All of you are such great posters and people. It sucks that we live in a world where differences of opinion on certain subjects can create gaps between people and impact how they see each other (this subject was touched on in Long Shot, which was one of the reasons I loved the hell out of it). Not saying that's what's happened here though. I guess I'm just saying it's so difficult to be able to express my beliefs and inclinations because I wouldn't want the box office discourse to be impacted between myself and anyone here.

For instance, I loathe being referred to as "cis-gender" because I don't believe in this whole business of trans-gender and cis-gender in general. We're male and female. That's it. I also don't believe in gay marriage. That should not be a crime because I bear zero ill will towards anyone on this site who is trans or gay and married and I value what they have to offer here (unless you're shivampa). It's an opinion and it stops at an opinion. I believe people on the other side of the coin should conduct themselves the same way. The problem is, it doesn't often work that way with the left. They love to ban/boycott/vilify anyone or anything who/that doesn't align with their beliefs. It's unhealthy.

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

For instance, I loathe being referred to as "cis-gender" because I don't believe in this whole business of trans-gender and cis-gender in general. We're male and female. That's it. I also don't believe in gay marriage. That should not be a crime because I bear zero ill will towards anyone on this site who is trans or gay and married and I value what they have to offer here (unless you're shivampa).

You don't believe transgender people are real and don't believe gay people deserve the right to be happy but are somehow not transphobic/homophobic? That's...not how it works.

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I also don't believe in gay marriage. That should not be a crime because I bear zero ill will towards anyone on this site who is trans or gay and married and I value what they have to offer here (unless you're shivampa). It's an opinion and it stops at an opinion.

You don't believe in it? Like not believing in Santa Claus?

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You know what I hate about this stuff? The people I argue with on these subjects here are the same people I like and admire so much. All of you are such great posters and people. It sucks that we live in a world where differences of opinion on certain subjects can create gaps between people and impact how they see each other (this subject was touched on in Long Shot, which was one of the reasons I loved the hell out of it). Not saying that's what's happened here though. I guess I'm just saying it's so difficult to be able to express my beliefs and inclinations because I wouldn't want the box office discourse to be impacted between myself and anyone here.

For instance, I loathe being referred to as "cis-gender" because I don't believe in this whole business of trans-gender and cis-gender in general. We're male and female. That's it. I also don't believe in gay marriage. That should not be a crime because I bear zero ill will towards anyone on this site who is trans or gay and married and I value what they have to offer here (unless you're shivampa). It's an opinion and it stops at an opinion. I believe people on the other side of the coin should conduct themselves the same way. The problem is, it doesn't often work that way with the left. They love to ban/boycott/vilify anyone or anything who/that doesn't align with their beliefs. It's unhealthy.

:rotfl: