Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

44 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It sucks that we live in a world where differences of opinion on certain subjects can create gaps between people and impact how they see each other 

Something to consider. “Certain Subjects”. We are not taking about if DC is better than Marvel Comics. We are not talking about if you should put pineapple on pizza. When discussing gender and sexuality issues they are very personal, and often very dangerous. In part of America and in the world is not safe to be queer. 

To keep this focused on film and the box office, one way to make the world more safe for queer people is to normalize their lives on screen. “Representation Matters” is not some cute catch phrase. It can be overwhelming and cathartic to see yourself on screen — especially if you are not use to it, or if you are being represented (finally) in a new and more honest light. And every time another story is told, it just helps the normalization. 

So maybe the next time you are frustrated with that gap between opinions, you can keep that in mind. 

• Like 6

watching Ravenous for the first time through 20 years later. 

I seem to remember it being really hard for me to find a rental for this at local video stores, like they were holding me back from it and targeting/babying me on a local level.  was i fighting adults and this was punishment in an unfair fight?

Were they re-doing/editing some of my underage rentals Be Kind, Rewind style?

I notice a Black Snake Moan reference to it too...  what the fuck?

I feel so angry now.

Edited by 2010s Painkiller Race

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of straight/gay actors playing the opposite of their sexuality on screen. That's been happening since the invention of the industry. It's about creating opportunities for those who haven't had that kind of representation at all (or worse, have been reduced to punchlines whenever present all of these years).

A lot of the articles about this issue say people playing such roles should only be of such backgrounds only.

That is a key debate issue and the controversial one here really.

Very interesting tidbit in an article about the new WB CEO from THR:

Emmerich also will have to protect his flank from the WarnerMedia streamer, which has hired Jessie Henderson, co-founder of Paul Feig's production company, as executive vp of original films. A source says Henderson has been contacting producers in recent weeks, dangling the idea that some of the service's original movies will play in theaters and might even get an awards push.

Will be interesting to see WB have two different arms for awards consideration now. Could it also mean that smaller films like Blinded by the Light would hit HBO Max after a limited theatrical run? Changing times.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbo-max-horizon-new-warner-bros-ceo-stares-down-unsettled-future-1223341

There's a weird bit in here about people thinking AT&T will fold WB in 5 years, but that sounds nigh-impossible.

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

There's a weird bit in here about people thinking AT&T will fold WB in 5 years, but that sounds nigh-impossible.

I think that statement it too pessimistic. WB has been doing pretty well since the acquisation. KOTM is the biggest loss since the acquisition and WB only had a minor stake in that film. Maybe they will ditch the theatrical side of things and go completely streaming if they do as well as Netflix are right now but I don't see that happening.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think that statement it too pessimistic. WB has been doing pretty well since the acquisation. KOTM is the biggest loss since the acquisition and WB only had a minor stake in that film. Maybe they will ditch the theatrical side of things and go completely streaming if they do as well as Netflix are right now but I don't see that happening.

Yeah, WB had a flop-free 2018 and their Q3/Q4 looks strong. They also might have the highest domestic performer next year, so not too shabby.

• Like 1

Update on actual important events. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/area-51-raid-u-s-air-force-stands-ready-to-protect-secret-base/

"If we Naruto run, we can move faster than their bullets," reads the event description, referring to Naruto Uzumaki, the spiky-haired ninja from Japanese manga series Naruto. As the science editor at CNET, it's important for me to add a disclaimer here: The Naruto run does not allow you to run faster than bullets -- and even if it did, the US Air Force is ready to respond to any potential human invasion.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

anyone starting to get a lot of "something went wrong" messages?  I'm not on mobile and it could just be something small, but just had 3 in the past few minutes so wasn't sure

I know this doesn't apply to like 75% of you, but:

Oh My God.  I was running some last minute errands before the flight.  I went to pick up some longer, jersey t-shirts that I could just roll into a ball.  The store didn't have them but they did have bras on sale for $10.  

excited emma stone GIF

I totally bought everyone in my size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Considering they're the number 2 studio, I'd say WB is in good health especially when you compare them to Paramount and Sony. AT&T would be very foolish to fold it.

(ILM already has offices in San Franicisco,  London, Singapore and Vancouver)

More on this:

Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic to Open Sydney Studio (THR)

Lucasfilm's visual effects division Industrial Light & Magic is expanding its footprint with a base at Fox Studios Australia in Sydney.

The opening is planned for later this year, hopefully in time for its artists to contribute work to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, according to Rob Bredow, executive creative director and head of ILM. Skywalkeris slated for a Dec. 20 release.

Plans call for Luke Hetherington, who heads ILM's Singapore studio, to additionally serve as executive in charge of the Sydney base and split his time between Singapore and Australia. Bredow says he aims to have between 50-100 employees in Sydney by year's end, and continue to grow in 2020.

ILM is headquartered in San Francisco, and also maintains bases in Vancouver and London.

"Sydney is an ideal location for our fifth studio," says Bredow. "There is abundant artistic and technical talent in the region, which are both keys to ILM's culture of innovation." It also gives clients access to the Australian Federal PDV Offset and new NSW PDV rebate, which combined could represent as much as a 40 percent rebate, Bredow estimates.

In addition to Rise of Skywalker, productions in the works at ILM include Terminator: Dark Fate, Jungle Cruise and The Irishman. The 44-year-old studio has earned 15 Academy Awards for best VFX and 31 Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In addition to feature films, it works on TV, immersive entertainment and themed attractions.

mentioning here instead of the TROS thread as there might be some Aussies interested in applying or know folks interested in applying.

Gonna also mention this in the WE thread for signal boost.

OMG.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fbi-seeks-more-victims-hollywood-con-artist-marvel-executive-targeted-1137712

In April, Victoria Alonso, executive vp production at Marvel, discovered a scammer was using her identity to conduct sexually explicit telephone auditions with aspiring actors: "I’ve spent many, many sleepless nights."

They also impersonated Kathy Kennedy and Amy Pascal. 

• ...wtf 2