Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Okay, "nearly seething" might be overstating it.  But there is a very loud contingent of the fanbase that wants Jimmy Garoppolo GONE and Trey Lance put in. And with every win that's happened in the last two months, they have been getting more and more antsy about the future.

If the Niners make the Super Bowl (or win it :o), there is gonna be a looooooot of Uncomfortable Talk in the Bay Area. 

Hell, there's people out there right now saying that Trey Lance should be the starter for the NFC Championship Game.  Which is...

Look, I don't care if you think Trey Lance is that better than Jimmy G.  He just doesn't have the reps/practice time in yet to have earned the starting job/be a better option right now.  

(For the record, I do think Trey Lance will be much better than Garoppolo - but now is absolutely not the time to put him in)

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

All joking aside I must admit to being a little surprised at the sheer intensity and depth in the amount of dunking on Aaron Rodgers.  I expect some good natured (and very much not good natured for that matter) jabs from the collective amateur stand up comedians that make up social media.  But the sheer breadth of it all took me back a bit. 

I mean, I get it.  People are pissed the fuck off after nearly two years of this pandemic, and this was a convenient outlet to let loose some steam.  Still, the amount of snow that the snowball took on once it rolled down that hill?  Just a bit surprising, even if it shouldn't have been.

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All joking aside I must admit to being a little surprised at the sheer intensity and depth in the amount of dunking on Aaron Rodgers.  I expect some good natured (and very much not good natured for that matter) jabs from the collective amateur stand up comedians that make up social media.  But the sheer breadth of it all took me back a bit. 

I mean, I get it.  People are pissed the fuck off after nearly two years of this pandemic, and this was a convenient outlet to let loose some steam.  Still, the amount of snow that the snowball took on once it rolled down that hill?  Just a bit surprising, even if it shouldn't have been.

I think it's because Rodgers was supposed to be the sensible one who could be held up as a role model, and instead he went full Q and Rogan.

No one would have got that angry if Brady had said all that stuff because people have always had a "Great player but probably shitty human" about Brady regardless of whether that is true or not (he just comes off that way). With Rodgers people felt betrayed and a lot of people likely won't look up to him again.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think it's because Rodgers was supposed to be the sensible one who could be held up as a role model, and instead he went full Q and Rogan.

No one would have got that angry if Brady had said all that stuff because people have always had a "Great player but probably shitty human" about Brady regardless of whether that is true or not (he just comes off that way). With Rodgers people felt betrayed and a lot of people likely won't look up to him again.

I agree with the Rodgers point. He's a Jeopardy host and winner (i.e seems smart), likable pitchman for various brands (i.e people would hang with him). Now that people see him for who he is, it's like a dam being broken and flooding the village below. 

Not sure about the Brady thing though. Everything I've seen of him (off the field), he looks pretty fun and like a great family guy. I think he gets a lot of undue hate, for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cap said:

To add to XXR's commentary, ever since Brady left Boston, it's like a light switch was flipped and he could just be more... Personable, I guess.

The "But I'm Tom Bra-" commercial from Subway, for instance?  Can't have seen him make that during his time with the Patriots.  His other commercials where he's showing his more goofball side?  Helped immeasurably.

(his apparent distancing from Trump hasn't hurt either, if we're being honest)

Might be nothing more than Brady caring about his public image and working on that.  And still GOAT'ing at his age?  Well even his detractors get worn down by the tide.

Not that I don't expect a pile on if the Bucs have a bad game today, as I do.  But do have to agree that the role reversal between Rodgers and Brady is pretty striking.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To add to XXR's commentary, ever since Brady left Boston, it's like a light switch was flipped and he could just be more... Personable, I guess.

The "But I'm Tom Bra-" commercial from Subway, for instance?  Can't have seen him make that during his time with the Patriots.  His other commercials where he's showing his more goofball side?  Helped immeasurably.

(his apparent distancing from Trump hasn't hurt either, if we're being honest)

Might be nothing more than Brady caring about his public image and working on that.  And still GOAT'ing at his age?  Well even his detractors get worn down by the tide.

Not that I don't expect a pile on if the Bucs have a bad game today, as I do.  But do have to agree that the role reversal between Rodgers and Brady is pretty striking.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

And that's gonna be ballgame.

Rams really are gonna escape out of here with a win despite themselves.

wonder if the Niners are gonna be favored. :ph34r:

Social media much nicer on Brady today, probably because of the crazy comeback he orchestrated there. Even the clowning feels very respectful.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Social media much nicer on Brady today, probably because of the crazy comeback he orchestrated there. Even the clowning feels very respectful.

it feels very much like “oh thank goodness he’s not in another superbowl” whereas Rodgers just blew it.  

That said, that game probably ended any “retirement” talk. Brady isn’t going out like that. 

• Like 1