Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

15 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This is happening because Washington's foreign policy establishment wants to expand their nuclear umbrella up to most of Russia's western border with Europe.  Putting Ukraine and its 800 mile border with Russia into NATO is shamelessly greedy and reckless.  Theres a reason why the US wouldn't allow Russia putting nuclear ICBMs in Cuba during the Cuban missile crises, it was right on our doorstep.  But, the US getting involved in foreign conflicts and losing wars that have no benefit to our national security is so on brand at this point its not even funny.  

Looking at twitter, the coverage of this in American media is something else.  Pretty much everyone is in lockstep repeating State Department talking points except for Tucker Carlson, which is a bit distressing.

The Trump years have shuffled the deck on foreign intervention stuff.  I remember back in the Bush/Cheney era you still had the Reagan forged alliance of middle American chuds and ideological NeoCons pushing patriotic forever wars.  Trump's rhetoric and unreliability pushed the NeoCon lizards into the Democratic camp (where they were largely welcomed with open arms) but also opened the possibility for the return of isolationist themes in red America. The higher brass of the military and CIA recruitment videos doubling down on progressive signaling further opens the wedge between the MIC and the red parts of America which would traditionally provided the grunts and patriotic fervor for America's war machine.  Interesting times.

SO you favor a Russian takeover of the Ukraine?

Putin is a right wing dictator; I don't get why the left has such love for him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Ideally, I think there should be a legally binding treaty signed by the US and Russia that makes Ukraine neutral, barring either side from using it for military purposes.  But since we live in an insane world, that's very unlikely to happen and we'll get another stupid pointless war.

Edited by Ozymandias

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol I remember seeing a banner for this at Universal during my vacation the other month. Pretty sure I had no recollection of this ever existing otherwise.

Anther big budget drama dead at Peacock? I take it we all remember Brave New World… No?

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Ideally, I think there should be a legally binding treaty signed by the US and Russia that makes Ukraine neutral, barring either side from using it for military purposes.  But since we live in an insane world, that's very unlikely to happen and we'll get another stupid pointless war.

I doubt it will come to war.

problem is, if Putin does take over the Ukraine, he won't stop there. 

I am convinced he is out to restore the Soviet Union and it's dominence over Eastern Europe.

And I might point out that appeasement never works.

I assume you think all wars are stupid and pointless?

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Stock Market is about to implode. Biden and the state department is just distracting his audience. Nothing will come of this. 

We will return to the international status quo soon enough.       

But there might be a great recession instead.

Edited by The GOAT

problem is, if Putin does take over the Ukraine, he won't

I am convinced he is out to restore the Soviet Union and it's dominence over Eastern Europe.

Bro this is classic cable news fearmongering backed by massive lobbying campaigns by defense contractors, they're not gonna invade a bunch of NATO countries lol.

I assume you think all wars are stupid and pointless?

Well Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and Libya have all been total failures.  All we got from those is trillions wasted, millions dead, more terrorist groups, a refugee/migration crises, and a stronger than ever Taliban in control of Afghanistan.  So naturally I'm a bit skeptical of our latest potential military adventure and all the pro war talking points surrounding it being peddled by the media.

You'd think after all those back to back debacles people would've wised up by now, but apparently not.  The American government and the media are just as bloodthirsty as they were back in 2002 and the American people are just as silly and susceptible to war propaganda as they ever were.  Ukraine might be the dumbest one yet because you can't even say that terrorists are hiding there and plotting attacks on America.

Edit: this is the last post i'll be making on the topic here, don't want to derail the thread.

Edited by Ozymandias

23 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

You know Ukraine is an independent country right??

22 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Stock Market is about to implode. Biden and the state department is just distracting his audience. Nothing will come of this. 

We will return to the international status quo soon enough.       

But there might be a great recession instead.

Like I said.  

Side Note: US state department probably accepted an embarrassing deal that he wants kept secret.  

Probably want to focus on the stock market that is going crater and hit rock bottom

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

So @Porthos I gather Niners fans are calling Sofi Stadium “Levi’s South”. :rofl: 

===

BTW, going to the game, Tele?  Or too rich for your blood/not a fan of seeing NFL in person?

Edited by Porthos

On 1/25/2022 at 2:09 PM, dudalb said:

USA these days is a silly country where  the public is distracted by twitter wars over what a bold headed cage fighter says. 

China and Russia playing the long game.

Edited by Torontofan

45 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’d love to go (and my wife even suggested I try). I can’t afford or justify $600+ for the worst seats in the stadium though. :lol:  

Yeah, I figured as much, but who knows, maybe you had connections so I thought I'd ask.

Ah well, should be just as enjoyable at Tele's Man Cave (or wherever you're planning on seeing the game). 👍

• Thanks 1