Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I was just looking up showtimes at the theater where I'm seeing The Unbearable Weight at over the weekend before it disappears and saw that there's a new crime against humanity out this weekend from Dinesh D'Souza about the 2020 election.

Bryce dallas howard GIF - Find on GIFER

On the bright side, everyone in Hollywood can rest easy knowing that the Razzies have found the movie that will sweep their awards this year (since their recent controversies ala the Bruce Willis category have probably pushed them in the direction of really focusing on people who actually deserve the "I'm supposed to feel sorry for that bitch? I don't!" treatment).

4 hours ago, AJG said:

What's everyone weekend watchlist?

I have:

Chip and Dale,

Everything Everywhere,

Love Death and Robots,

RRR (which Netflix only has in Hindi for some reason).

Chip N Dale and Men are the main goals, but they just dropped 8 Simple Rules on the US Disney+ for some reason. I am very, very tempted to rewatch the most awkward and uncomfortable episode in sitcom history once again.

I finished watching The Girl from Plainville last night. Pretty good addition to the "miniseries about true crime stories you likely heard about in passing when it happened" genre. The overabundance of Glee references might have been a bit much, but accurate to pop culture at the time.

Elle Fanning is terrific, but the great Chloe Sevigny is MVP. Colton Ryan was excellent too, although it couldn't help but feel a tad eerie to see him playing another teen who commits suicide with similar names (Connor/Conrad) so soon after the failed Dear Evan Hansen movie. I'd say "poor dude getting pigeonholed like that already" but Mike Faist (who originated the role on Broadway) would go onto playing Riff so I guess anyone who plays Connor is bound to find themselves typecast to "troubled youth" parts.

53 minutes ago, Eric Crawley said:

Chip N Dale and Men are the main goals, but they just dropped 8 Simple Rules on the US Disney+ for some reason. I am very, very tempted to rewatch the most awkward and uncomfortable episode in sitcom history once again.

I've not seen it in years. I do remember feeling as if the family on that show were way happier after the dad died though. He was doing too much.

5 hours ago, AJG said:

The reason is simple. All the regional language versions go to Amazon Prime for streaming. Amazon Prime pretty much has a monopoly on streaming all the other film industries in India apart from the Hindi one where they still have a good presence. That's one of the main reasons Netflix isn't doing well in India - lack of a regional language library, and Netflix original shows which are way too "adult" for the Indian market.

Prime completely ate their lunch in India with movie and TV content, and Hotstar has cricket.

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The reason is simple. All the regional language versions go to Amazon Prime for streaming. Amazon Prime pretty much has a monopoly on streaming all the other film industries in India apart from the Hindi one where they still have a good presence. That's one of the main reasons Netflix isn't doing well in India - lack of a regional language library, and Netflix original shows which are way too "adult" for the Indian market.

Prime completely ate their lunch in India with movie and TV content, and Hotstar has cricket.

Yeah I did some digging and it looks as if in the UK the Telugu rights to RRR got sold off to Zee5 (which I do not have). I dont think I've ever seen rights to certain dubs for one movie be sold to separate streamers in my life.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Yeah I did some digging and it looks as if in the UK the Telugu rights to RRR got sold off to Zee5 (which I do not have). I dont think I've ever seen rights to certain dubs for one movie be sold to separate streamers in my life.

It's been common in India since Bahubali. It's because production rights in regional industries are held by different companies. It's why you will see like 5 different producers for all these movies - they own the different language rights.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AJG said:

I have:

Chip and Dale,

Everything Everywhere,

Love Death and Robots,

Chip and Dale, the new Defunctland and that new Star Trek show

• Like 1

I thought the rumours were for Disney-EA. This seems fun though

Edit: So there was some truth to the murmuring that Disney and EA were trying to do something

Wilson continues to eye a Disney tie-up: Electronic Arts approached Disney as recently as March in pursuit of what sources described as “a more meaningful relationship” than licensing deals—though it’s not clear whether that meant an ESPN-EA tie-up, some sort of try-before-you-buy arrangement, or a direct sale. Whatever the case, Disney decided not to pursue those conversations.

Indeed, the market seems so focused on Disney+’s subscriber growth, and Chapek has other important items on his grocery list, such as buying the enormously expensive rights to the Indian Premier League, the country’s top cricket league, which is essential to its international strategy, and potentially buying Roberts out of Hulu in a few years.

Edited by AJG
  • ...wtf 1

14 hours ago, AJG said:

I have:

Chip and Dale,

Everything Everywhere,

Love Death and Robots,

RPDR AS 7, and The Owl House has 2 more episodes until Season 2 is done. With how badly Disney treated it, I expect the shortened season 3 to hit in 2027

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AJG said:

I have:

Chip and Dale,

Everything Everywhere,

Love Death and Robots,

Everything Everywhere best movie this year.

RRR is on Netflix? I’ll give it a watch.

35 minutes ago, Morieris said:

RPDR AS 7, and The Owl House has 2 more episodes until Season 2 is done. With how badly Disney treated it, I expect the shortened season 3 to hit in 2027

You’re an Owl House fan too eh. Good show.

TBH I think Disney should’ve made it a plus original if they were concerned about audience BS card. Felt it would help draw a stronger conversation to it, and they’d have a non Marvel/SW original that’d be popular.

End of an SNL era with McKinnon/Davidson/Bryant/Kyle Mooney all leaving after tomorrow's season finale. It feels like the biggest commentary yet about how much the comedy genre has disappeared that the current season has nearly ten members who have/had spent almost a decade on the show with nearly half the cast being a Kenan Thompson (who also needs to finally leave - he's been on the show since W.'s first term). McKinnon should've left in 2017, Bryant should've branched out in 2018-2019. Cecily Strong is another one should've found success outside the show and left 2-3 years ago (maybe she's waiting until after tomorrow to announce she's not coming back either). They've actually added a couple of promising people the past few years but none of them have had their chance to shine due to so many veterans sticking around for so long.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

End of an SNL era with McKinnon/Davidson/Bryant/Kyle Mooney all leaving after tomorrow's season finale. It feels like the biggest commentary yet about how much the comedy genre has disappeared that the current season has nearly ten members who have/had spent almost a decade on the show with nearly half the cast being a Kenan Thompson (who also needs to finally leave - he's been on the show since W.'s first term). McKinnon should've left in 2017, Bryant should've branched out in 2018-2019. Cecily Strong is another one should've found success outside the show and left 2-3 years ago (maybe she's waiting until after tomorrow to announce she's not coming back either). They've actually added a couple of promising people the past few years but none of them have had their chance to shine due to so many veterans sticking around for so long.

Cecily Strong definitely looked like she was going to have a mainstream moment in like 2016 or thereabouts. But it never materialized. Maybe she should have taken a chance and tried out her luck outside the show. Feels like the moment might have passed already but who knows.

I'm honestly surprised that most of the departing SNL crew in question stuck around for this season. There are so many cast members this year that it feels like hardly any of them are really able to make a dent on a regular basis.

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I'm honestly surprised that most of the departing SNL crew in question stuck around for this season. There are so many cast members this year that it feels like hardly any of them are really able to make a dent on a regular basis.

It's because Lorne Michaels publicly asked them to stay a little longer over the summer last year. I'm pretty sure McKinnon was supposed to get a Wiig-style send-off two years ago before COVID hit. Hopefully shrinking the cast allows for them to reshape themselves. Thankfully they've been moving away from the "guess which celebrity we got to be our (fill in controversial political figure of the week)" stunt casting that had pervaded the show over the last several years.

16 hours ago, YourMother said:

You’re an Owl House fan too eh. Good show.

TBH I think Disney should’ve made it a plus original if they were concerned about audience BS card. Felt it would help draw a stronger conversation to it, and they’d have a non Marvel/SW original that’d be popular.

It's basically how Nick treated Legend of Korra but 10 years later. "We didn't realize this isn't sanitized and for the youth until a season later, so let's ignore it."

• Like 1

First the topless woman at the Three Thousand Years of Longing premiere the other day, now this. Apparently wasn't a publicity stunt either.

Edited by filmlover