Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 5/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, Webslinger said:

I'm honestly surprised that most of the departing SNL crew in question stuck around for this season. There are so many cast members this year that it feels like hardly any of them are really able to make a dent on a regular basis.

That was a problem, Six is about the max for regular cast members without it getting unwiedkly.

I guess there will be the usual SNL is finished comments.

Funny, back in 1977 they said it was finished when Chevy Chase quit, and againd in 1979 when Belushi and Ackroyd quit.They always seem able to come up with new talent to keep the show going.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I guess there will be the usual SNL is finished comments.

Funny, back in 1977 they said it was finished when Chevy Chase quit, and againd in 1979 when Belushi and Ackroyd quit.They always seem able to come up with new talent to keep the show going.

There's a lot of funny people that have joined the show these past couple of years. Chris Redd, Melissa Villasenor, Chloe Fineman, Heidi Gardner, Bowen Yang, Ego Nwodim...all of them have potential to become favorites but none of them have really had the chance to stand out due to so many veterans overstaying their welcome.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's a lot of funny people that have joined the show these past couple of years. Chris Redd, Melissa Villasenor, Chloe Fineman, Heidi Gardner, Bowen Yang, Ego Nwodim...all of them have potential to become favorites but none of them have really had the chance to stand out due to so many veterans overstaying their welcome.

I agree. The cast has been too crowded for the new talent to develope.

But SNL is now an institution. The impact of it, and the people it made stars of, on American Comedy for the past 50 years  has been massive without a doubt.

i don't think people are gonna break out from SNL much anymore like you used to see. partially because the comedy movie star like sandler or myers is a dying thing but i don't even know if this current line up can get their own ted lasso or barry. kate mckinnon seemed like she was maybe gonna be a thing like five or six years ago but didn't happen. think she stuck to that show too long.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think people are gonna break out from SNL much anymore like you used to see. partially because the comedy movie star like sandler or myers is a dying thing but i don't even know if this current line up can get their own ted lasso or barry. kate mckinnon seemed like she was maybe gonna be a thing like five or six years ago but didn't happen. think she stuck to that show too long.

McKinnon joined the show right after Wiig left as she was basking in the Bridesmaids afterglow and everyone thought she was destined to be the next comedy superstar (a prophecy that also didn't quite pan out, even though her post-SNL career still falls under the "very good" column) and saw McKinnon as her replacement. Think she would've been gone much sooner if Ghostbusters '16 hadn't become the poster child for entitled fanboy nastiness. I'd like to see her try less silly material going forward, her performance in Bombshell convinced me she might have a career in projects that ask her to turn off the mugging for the camera that defined most of her work on SNL and in other projects like The Spy Who Dumped Me.

Well, we can stop making jokes about the Catholic Church and start making them about the Southern Baptists....same exact thing:Chruch leaders tried to hide major sexual abuse problems. 

Who knew "Elmer Gantry" was a documentary?

A high-profile comic book movie set to debut next year recently had its final script submitted to the WGA for screenwriting credit, and insiders tell Deadline that a staggering 45 writers had some sort of involvement with the script at various stages through the development process. 

https://deadline.com/2022/05/deadline-disruptors-spec-scripts-streaming-1235026319/

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

A high-profile comic book movie set to debut next year recently had its final script submitted to the WGA for screenwriting credit, and insiders tell Deadline that a staggering 45 writers had some sort of involvement with the script at various stages through the development process. 

https://deadline.com/2022/05/deadline-disruptors-spec-scripts-streaming-1235026319/

Fuck this. 14 ELEMENTARY school kids were killed. I drop my daughter off to her elementary school daily and these kids are barely taller than like 4 and a half feet or so. These are barely 10 year olds, their ages just reaching double digits. 

How is the NRA so all powerful to prevent any kind of meaningful gun reform in the US?

In a few weeks time, the Supreme Court will release a 6-3 decision where they will make it even easier to buy and carry guns anywhere. 

This country is lost if kids can't be guaranteed that they will come back home safe when they go to school.

And before anyone starts the "there should have been a good guy with a gun" nonsense - there were 3 security guards with guns who did nothing.

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Tonights Better Call Saul midseason finale :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Damn shame more people aren't watching this show

honestly this (half) season wasn't grabbing me much but it did all come together pretty great in that finale. Very well executed*.

Spoiler

*and i'm not just talking about Howard here!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

45 is a bit excessive, but then having multiple writers inolved in a film..most of whom don't get credit...is normal.

And the WGA has bizarre rules as to who gets credit that often leaves out people who have made substantial contributions to the scipt, and gives credit to writers who made little contribution to the final script.