Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 5/20/2022 at 9:06 AM, AJG said:

What's everyone weekend watchlist?

I have:

Chip and Dale,

Everything Everywhere,

Love Death and Robots,

RRR (which Netflix only has in Hindi for some reason).

Chip and Dale : HIGH MATINEE

Everything Everywhere: LOW FULL PRICE (dragged a little at the end).

Love Death and Robots: MATINEE

RRR: LOW FULL PRICE (The West need to steal the concept of action movies with musical numbers immediately).

The elementary school shooting really shook me up, especially since I have an elementary school student in my home. I have definitely hugged her way more the past couple of days and let her know how much I love her.

No father should have to go through what this father had to, this is a VERY hard watch, please don't watch it if you can't stomach raw human emotion spilling through

I know political action will not be forthcoming at a federal level, so instead of doing nothing I will at least try my best as possible with Everytown which is basically a gun control volunteer organization. Maybe we can at least push California to make it harder. Anyone wanting to donate their time or money can go here: https://www.everytown.org/actions/ 

• Sad 2

I'm watching the live police conference from the texas police about this and it is insane. These guys waited 40 minutes for a key to get in the room because they didn't think it was an active shooter. The police are saying "with the benefit of hindsight they made the wrong decision". Madness. Embarrassing. The police are at fault.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I'm watching the live police conference from the texas police about this and it is insane. These guys waited 40 minutes for a key to get in the room because they didn't think it was an active shooter. The police are saying "with the benefit of hindsight they made the wrong decision". Madness. Embarrassing. The police are at fault.

So, I went to the movies today (saw Everything Everywhere All at Once a second time) and had an amusing experience with a group going to see a private screening of 2,000 Mules - a.k.a. the latest nonsensical screed from Dinesh D'Souza. 

It's honestly hard to say which part was funniest:

1.) That the entire group was exactly the bunch of Karens and old guys with military-themed shirts and ratty old hats you would expect. (Plus two girls who looked about 10-ish with one of the aforementioned Karens - I guess it's not indoctrinating the kids when it's your side, huh?)

2.) They clogged up the line at the box office for several minutes only to discover that since it was a private screening, they didn't need to get tickets at the front. And of course, since they're exactly like about 75% of the sellout audience I saw Top Gun with last night, I don't think any other customers would have thought they were there for anything else. And of course, they immediately carried themselves with the air of VIPs after being told they could go in - you know, for a movie that the local powers-that-be had such little faith in that they wouldn't even book it for public shows and just gave it a private one in place of a noon show of The Secrets of Dumbledore.

3.) One of the old guys in a military hat got in line behind me and, after eyeballing me, started to strike up conversation. Now, mind you, at this point, I thought all these people were just in line to get tickets for Top Gun, so I decided to be friendly. Also, mind you, that I have long hair, present somewhat femininely (or at least non-masculinely) and was wearing a mask. The look on the dude's face when I responded in a deep voice was priceless. It was like the mere existence of a mask-wearing, gender-ambiguous person made his whole world turn upside down.

4.) When I was walking to my auditorium - which was two down from the one this group was supposed to be in - none of them could find their auditorium! Seriously, I shit you not, they could not figure out which one was number ten, even with the numbers on the monitors hanging above each auditorium. You can't make this shit up.

I was still laughing about all of it for a solid five minutes after sitting down for Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also: I'm sure this question has come up many a time, but is there any way to switch up the ads that are generated while browsing this site? I get a ton of ads for a far-right political candidate (whose presence baffles me since I didn't even know he was running against the incumbent - of whom I am also not a fan - until the ads started showing up) that I would rather not have visible over my shoulder when I open this site up on work breaks at Starbucks. ;)

Edited by Webslinger
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Also: I'm sure this question has come up many a time, but is there any way to switch up the ads that are generated while browsing this site? I get a ton of ads for a far-right political candidate (whose presence baffles me since I didn't even know he was running against the incumbent - of whom I am also not a fan - until the ads started showing up) that I would rather not have visible over my shoulder when I open this site up on work breaks at Starbucks. ;)

Get ad block, this site is unreadable without it.  Its also nice as hell not having to sit through 10-15 seconds of ads before every youtube video as well.

The one I use is at www.adblockplus.org

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Webslinger said:

So, I went to the movies today (saw Everything Everywhere All at Once a second time) and had an amusing experience with a group going to see a private screening of 2,000 Mules - a.k.a. the latest nonsensical screed from Dinesh D'Souza. 

It's honestly hard to say which part was funniest:

1.) That the entire group was exactly the bunch of Karens and old guys with military-themed shirts and ratty old hats you would expect. (Plus two girls who looked about 10-ish with one of the aforementioned Karens - I guess it's not indoctrinating the kids when it's your side, huh?)

2.) They clogged up the line at the box office for several minutes only to discover that since it was a private screening, they didn't need to get tickets at the front. And of course, since they're exactly like about 75% of the sellout audience I saw Top Gun with last night, I don't think any other customers would have thought they were there for anything else. And of course, they immediately carried themselves with the air of VIPs after being told they could go in - you know, for a movie that the local powers-that-be had such little faith in that they wouldn't even book it for public shows and just gave it a private one in place of a noon show of The Secrets of Dumbledore.

3.) One of the old guys in a military hat got in line behind me and, after eyeballing me, started to strike up conversation. Now, mind you, at this point, I thought all these people were just in line to get tickets for Top Gun, so I decided to be friendly. Also, mind you, that I have long hair, present somewhat femininely (or at least non-masculinely) and was wearing a mask. The look on the dude's face when I responded in a deep voice was priceless. It was like the mere existence of a mask-wearing, gender-ambiguous person made his whole world turn upside down.

4.) When I was walking to my auditorium - which was two down from the one this group was supposed to be in - none of them could find their auditorium! Seriously, I shit you not, they could not figure out which one was number ten, even with the numbers on the monitors hanging above each auditorium. You can't make this shit up.

I was still laughing about all of it for a solid five minutes after sitting down for Everything Everywhere All at Once.

To be fair, the people who watch Dinesh D'Souza movies don't get out to the movies often because their masters won't let them out of the house often. That and the belief that Hollywood is full of evil Dems who never make movies "for them" (although even when they make a blatant piece of MAGA pandering ala The 15:17 to Paris, they don't even bother to show up, proving they're just as cheap as the rest of us).

Although I saw Top Gun in a PLF theater last night and had some big burley older guy who yelled "GOD BLESS THE USA!" multiple times towards the end of the movie and I couldn't tell if he was one of those dudes or if he was just super drunk by that point (one of the perks of going to a theater with a bar lol). I'm going to assume the latter since he made no noise throughout the movie otherwise. :hahaha:

Edited by filmlover

On 5/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, grim22 said:

Its rather bad because in many other mass shootings cops have rushed in gun blazing without much regard for their own safety.

Like I dont expect cops to be 100% fearless but in such situations it is expected by them.

I finished watching the final season of This Is Us tonight and have to say as someone who initially dismissed it as a hokey-looking melodrama based on the previews that it ended up being quite a special little show, in large part because it's clear that everyone involved had planned out a beginning, a middle, and an end for the whole thing and avoided the temptation (and perhaps network pressure) to drag it out for as long as possible after its success. Excellent ensemble. It's the kind of series that will likely be referenced or have clips featured in the background of scenes in movies or shows covering this era in the future, and I don't have any qualms about that.

• Like 1

My local indie cinema shut-down last week meaning I can only watch indie films at the nearby AMCs (nearest one is a 20 minute bus ride) where a ticket costs 2x as much. Annoyed that I didn't watch Petite Maman there before I left to go back home for a couple weeks.

• Sad 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, grim22 said:

To be fair, these are the exact kind of projects we envision when IP goes out of copyright protection. More of this for sure, go crazy with the Winnie interpretations.

There is a piece of Internet Humor called ;Pooh Goes Batshit Crazy" , about Pooh getting high on drugs and going on a killing spree, that has been around since the early 90's. 

https://worstpastas.fandom.com/wiki/Pooh_Goes_Apeshit

Of  course a parody like that  was legal because it came under the  "fair use" rule, which permits parodies and satires, at least in print even before the  copyright ran out. With Pooh now  in the public domain, anybody can do anything they want with Winnie and Company.

He joins Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan as once copyrighted fiction charecters who are now in the public domain, and fair game for anybody who wants to do a movie or tv show based on them.

And, BTW, there is nothing that Disney can do about it legally. The Pooh copyright is dead, Jim.

Of course the interesting this is that A.A. Milne , c reator of Winnie The Pooh, was famous even before Winnie, as a writer of Murder Mysteries...a little like Roade Dahl, who was primarily in his lifetime a Horror writer who is now best remembered for his child's books.....

Edited by dudalb