Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Anyone else watch Star Trek Picard?  Season 2 just finished I'm just flummoxed at how terrible it is from top to bottom, it really feels like it was written by a bunch of 10 year olds.  Has anyone else in Hollywood failed upwards as successfully as Alex Kurtzman and his band of hacks?

I watched season 1. It was enjoyable enough but extremely choppy so I didn't come back for #2.

I hear pretty good things about Strange New Worlds which just came out.

22 hours ago, Wondy said:

When I get home tonight I am gonna have a long, long cry over this. It feels like comics died. 

I felt the same way when Jack Kirby died.  The loss of Perez is a major blow. Not surprising, since that he was gravely ill has been out in a while.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric loves Rey said:

I hope you all wished @YourMother a Happy Mother's Day today!

It took me an embarrassingly long time to get this joke caused i stopped reading after YourMother and then was confused to not see him mentioned at the right corner for the forums birthdays.

Note to myself to always read every post fully i guess lol

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Katrina Lenk getting snubbed and Sutton Foster getting nominated for Lead Actress is a travesty.

No, Lenk's Being Alive is not the Big Sung Version Of The Song (Obviously that is Audra's ) but she acts the HELL of out it, it's perfectly in character for her Bobbie, and I totally had chills/Was Getting EMOTIONAL TM once she really let go.  She's also so so so so funny.  I can't stress how much better the show works with Bobbie as a woman.  It was just OUTSTANDING.

Best thing I saw all weekend though: Boyle's "Not Getting Married Today" was a crowning achievement, and I hope they just say "Fuck It" and perform that at the Tony's instead of "Side by Side by Side." He slaaaaaaaays that song.  Moreover, the staging of that number was mindblowing.  Literally stopped the show.  I think the audience applauded for about 3-4 minutes, and a couple people down front where standing.

And then Patti was just PATTI.

Whereas, Music Man.  I was SHOCKED at how much I disliked Sutton Foster's Marion.  When she made her entrance, I was just like, Finally.  The True Talent Has Arrived.  Then as the show went oh, I kept thinking, "Girl, we all make choices, but that was a Choice."  And, it's so weird, cause she's Sutton Foster.  She's impossible at being bad.  I just... don't think she being a very good Marion. 

My Mom really liked Music Man.  I was STUNNED at how FAST it moved.  I was like "There's NO WAY, we're already at Intermission" when Wells Fargo Wagon hit.  

The entire show is fine, but it's basically review proof.  That audience was rowdier than a Thursday Night Marvel movie.  Jackman had those Boomer Women eating out of his palms.  In that sense he's kind of the perfect Harold Hill, since all of his charms and dance ability is ALMOST enough to make you think it's a bona fide's Broadway Star until he opened his month.

As as the song says... Booooy, Ya Got Trouble, my friend.  His voice is GONE.  And with no autotune and blended voices to back him up, it's just so rough.  I was like "Please stop.  We live in a world where lip syncing is cool now.  I beg of you, just play Robert Preston's recording.  It's okay.  No one will be upset.  Your dancing and acting are more than enough to keep everyone happy!!!"

And Funny Girl getting only one nomination is sooooooo funny to me.  

The show's not NEARLY as bad as everyone's saying it is.  Beanie is absolutely not Barbra, but she's smartly not trying to be.  And a bit like Katrina her acting is better than her singing, but I never questioned her choices or abilities the way I did Jackman. She's so charming, and frankly, it was just nice to see a Big Girl up on stage leading the show.  I would also remind everyone that Barbra herself got PANNED when she did Hello, Dolly! cause she wasn't Carol Channing.  

I thought the COSTUMES were amazing.  That felt like a snub there.  And Jared Grimes was rightfully nominated.  Stole. The. Show. Jane Lynch is perfectly Jane Lynchian.  My biggest issue was that Ramin Karimloo was out with COVID, and the guy that played Nick was good.  Beautiful voice.  Didn't look or act the role at all.  So that tossed me.  I just was like "I paid to see Ramin!!"

38 minutes ago, Wondy said:

Katrina Lenk getting snubbed and Sutton Foster getting nominated for Lead Actress is a travesty.

No, Lenk's Being Alive is not the Big Sung Version Of The Song (Obviously that is Audra's ) but she acts the HELL of out it, it's perfectly in character for her Bobbie, and I totally had chills/Was Getting EMOTIONAL TM once she really let go.  She's also so so so so funny.  I can't stress how much better the show works with Bobbie as a woman.  It was just OUTSTANDING.

Best thing I saw all weekend though: Boyle's "Not Getting Married Today" was a crowning achievement, and I hope they just say "Fuck It" and perform that at the Tony's instead of "Side by Side by Side." He slaaaaaaaays that song.  Moreover, the staging of that number was mindblowing.  Literally stopped the show.  I think the audience applauded for about 3-4 minutes, and a couple people down front where standing.

And then Patti was just PATTI.

Whereas, Music Man.  I was SHOCKED at how much I disliked Sutton Foster's Marion.  When she made her entrance, I was just like, Finally.  The True Talent Has Arrived.  Then as the show went oh, I kept thinking, "Girl, we all make choices, but that was a Choice."  And, it's so weird, cause she's Sutton Foster.  She's impossible at being bad.  I just... don't think she being a very good Marion. 

My Mom really liked Music Man.  I was STUNNED at how FAST it moved.  I was like "There's NO WAY, we're already at Intermission" when Wells Fargo Wagon hit.  

The entire show is fine, but it's basically review proof.  That audience was rowdier than a Thursday Night Marvel movie.  Jackman had those Boomer Women eating out of his palms.  In that sense he's kind of the perfect Harold Hill, since all of his charms and dance ability is ALMOST enough to make you think it's a bona fide's Broadway Star until he opened his month.

As as the song says... Booooy, Ya Got Trouble, my friend.  His voice is GONE.  And with no autotune and blended voices to back him up, it's just so rough.  I was like "Please stop.  We live in a world where lip syncing is cool now.  I beg of you, just play Robert Preston's recording.  It's okay.  No one will be upset.  Your dancing and acting are more than enough to keep everyone happy!!!"

And Funny Girl getting only one nomination is sooooooo funny to me.  

The show's not NEARLY as bad as everyone's saying it is.  Beanie is absolutely not Barbra, but she's smartly not trying to be.  And a bit like Katrina her acting is better than her singing, but I never questioned her choices or abilities the way I did Jackman. She's so charming, and frankly, it was just nice to see a Big Girl up on stage leading the show.  I would also remind everyone that Barbra herself got PANNED when she did Hello, Dolly! cause she wasn't Carol Channing.  

I thought the COSTUMES were amazing.  That felt like a snub there.  And Jared Grimes was rightfully nominated.  Stole. The. Show. Jane Lynch is perfectly Jane Lynchian.  My biggest issue was that Ramin Karimloo was out with COVID, and the guy that played Nick was good.  Beautiful voice.  Didn't look or act the role at all.  So that tossed me.  I just was like "I paid to see Ramin!!"

The Music Man likely overcame its various obstacles (meh reviews, the fallout from the Scott Rudin allegations) due to the fact it was one of the most publicized shows due to all the COVID delays and being a hit. Easy namecheck nominations for those involved.

Lot of chatter going around over the MJ musical nearly earning the most nominations and solidifying his legacy despite all the baggage he carries even 13 years after his death. FWIW I hear the musical unsurprisingly ends around 1992 before his life became engulfed in controversy that would hang over him until his demise and one has to imagine the biopic that's in development at Lionsgate (which it seems isn't an adaptation of the musical) will also follow the same template.

Edited by filmlover

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Easy namecheck nominations for those involved.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  I was like "Hugh's Tony has at been at the engravers since 2019."

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lot of chatter going around over the MJ musical nearly earning the most nominations and solidifying his legacy despite all the baggage he carries even 13 years after his death. FWIW I hear the musical unsurprisingly ends around 1992 before his life became engulfed in controversy that would hang over him until his demise and one has to imagine the biopic that's in development at Lionsgate (which it seems isn't an adaptation of the musical) will also follow the same template.

1, Holy Hell, he's been dead for 13 years?

2, Make sense to end it there.  Can't make an inspriational bio pic and end it on a bad note 🥴

3, Why does it feel like the ones that are the most talented -- Whitney, Judy, MJ, Britney, etc -- always seem to attract the worst type of vultures that exploit their worse tendencies.  Just sad.  

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Music Man likely overcame its various obstacles (meh reviews, the fallout from the Scott Rudin allegations) due to the fact it was one of the most publicized shows due to all the COVID delays and being a hit. Easy namecheck nominations for those involved.

The issue with MJs life story is that he didn't have that third act which would make it into a movie structure. It looked like it would when he was acquitted followed by the announcement of the world tour which would have been the ending of the biopic. 

Without that, his life has 2 clear stories - the childhood through the rise to like 1994 when he was the biggest thing on planet earth. 

Then you have 1994 through like 2007 with his personal life, the crazy interviews and lack of hits and then the sexual abuse lawsuits.

Having both those in one movie without anything in 2008 and later which would have been the triumphant third act makes it too much of a whiplash. When making a MJ movie, you have to pretty much choose one or the other to avoid it becoming either a downer ending or a tonal mishmash.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The issue with MJs life story is that he didn't have that third act which would make it into a movie structure. It looked like it would when he was acquitted followed by the announcement of the world tour which would have been the ending of the biopic. 

Without that, his life has 2 clear stories - the childhood through the rise to like 1994 when he was the biggest thing on planet earth. 

Then you have 1994 through like 2007 with his personal life, the crazy interviews and lack of hits and then the sexual abuse lawsuits.

Having both those in one movie without anything in 2008 and later which would have been the triumphant third act makes it too much of a whiplash. When making a MJ movie, you have to pretty much choose one or the other to avoid it becoming either a downer ending or a tonal mishmash.

It'll be interesting to see how the Whitney Houston movie coming at the end of the year deals with her life. Given the song choice of title (I Wanna Dance with Somebody), my guess is that they'll be mostly focusing on her years of immense success and the barriers she broke before her downfall completely overshadowed that.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also, the Music Man is simply a great musical. The material is so strong  a lot of mistakes can be made but it can still be entertaining.

SOmeone said that Hugh Jackman is the perfect Harold Hill. I have no doubt that Jackman is great in the role, but the defninitve Harold Hill will always be Robert Preston.

I don't live in NYC, but from the reviews Jackman is great as Harold Hill in a flawed production....the actress playing Marion the Librarian in particular coming in for criticism. But Jackman being great was enough to make it a  sucess.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

SOmeone said that Hugh Jackman is the perfect Harold Hill. I have no doubt that Jackman is great in the role, but the defninitve Harold Hill will always be Robert Preston.

As that person, I’d like to emphasize I really meant because he’s a con man who is conning their audience on his musical ability. Not because he’s better than Preston. I would never say that. Ever. 

😂😂

Just want to make sure we have that clear.

12 hours ago, Wondy said:

As that person, I’d like to emphasize I really meant because he’s a con man who is conning their audience on his musical ability. Not because he’s better than Preston. I would never say that. Ever. 

😂😂

Just want to make sure we have that clear.

My mom and sister who are big Broadway people and they wanted Brian D'arcy James for the role. They also love Sutton Foster but think she's too old for the role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

My mom and sister who are big Broadway people and they wanted Brian D'arcy James for the role. They also love Sutton Foster but think she's too old for the role.

Lin!!!!

😂😂😂

i don’t think Sutton is too old. She was just way way way way too stiff. One could almost say that her face turn from hating him to loving Him was “a big swerve” 😘

(though the choice of moving Shipoopi up to open act two and use that as the “save the cat” moment as Hill dances with the kids was briiiiiilliant. I was like, god damn, why hadn’t I thought of that )

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Does anyone else keep getting these stupid Johnny Depp Amber Heard videos recommended on youtube (and on other social media too)? Feels like there's some multi-million ad campaign going on for this shit,

I thought I was alone on this. I have no idea why they pop up in my algorithm since I do not care even remotely about this dumb trial. I can't wait a year from now when nobody even remembers this happened and we all go back to forgetting these actors even existed.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Does anyone else keep getting these stupid Johnny Depp Amber Heard videos recommended on youtube (and on other social media too)? Feels like there's some multi-million ad campaign going on for this shit,

Oh yeah, the tik tok edits and memes are all over my feed. It's very eyerolling and I guess this is the evolution of the media frenzy that surrounded the OJ trial...but zoomers are FAR more annoying about it.

Edited by TheDude391