Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Haven't read but Visconti's 1957 film based on it is quite good.

I saw that a couple years ago. It's pretty good but I do prefer the story (it might have something to do with the fact that I kinda had the same thing happen to me in between watching the movie and reading the story lol).

• Like 1

Has anyone else watched Masters of the Air? I just started it last night after True Detective: Night Country (it was fine, Jodie is great in it, but I've given up hope that it's ever going to match the high quality of the first season) and my goodness is Austin Butler trying so hard not to use The Elvis Voice in it lmao. In his defense, it was filmed in 2021 right after that movie so it doesn't stick out as a sore thumb nearly as much as it did during that awards season.

25 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos I think the Giants might have a squad this season.

Just found out thanks to this tag!!!!

(backlash to the firing of Renel was OBVIOUSLY the final needed piece of the puzzle)

34 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos I think the Giants might have a squad this season.

Okay, more seriously, while they can't match the sheer firepower of the Dodgers (but which team can), they've had a sneaky interesting offseason.  Their pitching staff's gonna be fun to follow, that's for sure!  Especially if the gamble on Jordan Hicks pays off.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:29 AM, filmlover said:

Has anyone else watched Masters of the Air? I just started it last night after True Detective: Night Country (it was fine, Jodie is great in it, but I've given up hope that it's ever going to match the high quality of the first season) and my goodness is Austin Butler trying so hard not to use The Elvis Voice in it lmao. In his defense, it was filmed in 2021 right after that movie so it doesn't stick out as a sore thumb nearly as much as it did during that awards season.

I am watching Masters Of The Air, and though not bad it no where near as good as "Band Of Brothers" or 'The Pacific".

I have to say the outrage over the slight use of AI in the new David Dastmalchian movie might be the most performative thing I've seen in a long time. Wait till you tell these people movies with extensive CGI have used automated processes (not AI but pretty much has the same impact in terms of cutting jobs for artists) for a long, long time. Dune 2 used AI too. Where's the outrage for that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I have to say the outrage over the slight use of AI in the new David Dastmalchian movie might be the most performative thing I've seen in a long time. Wait till you tell these people movies with extensive CGI have used automated processes (not AI but pretty much has the same impact in terms of cutting jobs for artists) for a long, long time. Dune 2 used AI too. Where's the outrage for that?

It's the difference between using AI to augment a visual effect and using it to literally generate an image that the creators could have tossed a few bucks to any artist to design, with the benefit of it not looking like AI vomit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's the difference between using AI to augment a visual effect and using it to literally generate an image that the creators could have tossed a few bucks to any artist to design, with the benefit of it not looking like AI vomit.

I feel like both still cause people to lose jobs (that's the main argument I see). Plenty of VFX artists (especially roto artists) losing jobs due to automation and AI. The main problem is AI will inevitably be used to cut corners in a multitude of ways in practically every film in the future. Unless people can get lawmakers to unilaterally ban the use of AI in media (not happening), we are going to be stuck with this. To me, the stronger and less complicated argument against it is the "AI vomit" bit (Miyazaki has probably made the strongest argument against this). The more extensively you use AI, the more you are taking the art out of your work. A film using a lot of AI-generated components will almost definitely be utter shit. The more productive discussion to have IMO is how do you incorporate AI tools in your film without losing artistic integrity (and to me, using it on a bunch of background elements isn't much of a big deal).

Idk, I am against the use of AI in movies but there is a much better way to approach this issue than what I am seeing rn.

• Like 2

Can’t find a thread for the film but I just watched Late Night With The Devil and it was AWESOME! Best horror film I have seen in a while!! I loved it and my packed showing seemed to feel the same. 

I’m gonna be stanning this film for the rest of the year.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:18 PM, lorddemaxus said:

This is why. AI's set to replace the hard work of artists and creatives, and even minor acts like artwork in the background has dangerous repercussions. You allow it one time for one movie, you let it happen for all other movies. I know I sound like a Luddite here, but this shit ain't good dawg.

• Like 1

Automation is inevitable. Tractors took away the jobs. Self checkout counters as well. Computers took away tons of jobs. Automated elevators took away the jobs. I think its inevitable movie making will also go that route. That said its bad to patent anything created with AI. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Automation is inevitable. Tractors took away the jobs. Self checkout counters as well.

About that...

Target is pulling back on self-checkout, limiting service to people with 10 items or fewer

Dollar General is rolling back self-checkout in thousands of stores

Five Below is the latest chain to retreat from self-checkout

All that #KateGate hysteria and unhinged conspiracy theories and over what? It's 2024, schools sell editing with the picture day packages. When I watched live sports last fall, there were ads for a camera that swapped out heads and erased bits in the background to get the perfect picture. All these celebrities on Instagram acting shocked shocked about an edited photo posted on the grid. The maimstream media kept banging the drum about trust in institutions and AI, to pry a diagnosis out of the palace.

Every few months it feels like there's a cultural reckoning about how, 10-20 years ago, some celebrity or another was mercilessly bullied for the flimsiest reasons, and wasn't it terrible how that happened? "Thank goodness we know better now!" Only to go on and treat a different, currently famous person the exact same way.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

^^^^

Target is pulling out of it for different reasons. One big thing is current scanning methods are rudimentary. Retail has been without innovation for decades. Amazon did try a store where you just get scanned once for Prime membership and then just taking products out would check them out once you are out of the store. No question of shop lifting or stealing over there. 

Still despite these examples, tons of jobs have been lost due to self checkout and many other automation. I dont think that trend is going to reverse. As much AI its going to be robotics and many other tech. After all automobiles took out horses and the coachmen. Its part of evolution. Industrial revolution also took out tons of jobs. But new jobs are also created as part of these changes. Some we cannot even think as of today. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Amazon did try a store where you just get scanned once for Prime membership and then just taking products out would check them out once you are out of the store. No question of shop lifting or stealing over there. 

So I actually lived next door to one of those stores, not the auto self-checkout but the one in which the cart does the self-checkout as you put items in it. 

When it opened, every single shopper wanted those carts and there was a huge line for them. I genuinely thought that the store would become fully employee-less soon enough. But 3+ years later, those "dash carts" are unused now. No shopper wants to use them and instead uses the non-smart carts because it is just way too much of a hassle to use those dash carts. Even I only used the dash carts twice and then normal carts every single other time i went there. It makes it easy to shop if and only if all you buy are stuff in cartons and packaging. But for most people, that is a small portion of shopping - groceries, fresh cut meats, hot meals and so on make a substantial portion of shopping, and those carts are just not convenient enough for those use cases.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Every few months it feels like there's a cultural reckoning about how, 10-20 years ago, some celebrity or another was mercilessly bullied for the flimsiiest reasons, and wasn't it terrible how that happened? "Thank goodness we know better now!" Only to go on and treat a different, currently famous person the exact same way.

Seriously. But it's not a shocking, certainly not in 2024, that those who claim to want to break the cycle are also actually the ones who continue to perpetuate it.

• Like 1