Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Is that how you can tell?

I was half-joking. Usually when a movie gets a billboard down here, it's for a big title.

The only studios who ever seem to buy marketing space down here are Disney (just for the Disney branded films, nothing from Marvel or Lucasfilm) and occasionally Fox and Paramount.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was half-joking. Usually when a movie gets a billboard down here, it's for a big title.

The only studios who ever seem to buy marketing space down here are Disney (just for the Disney branded films, nothing from Marvel or Lucasfilm) and occasionally Fox and Paramount.

Then it means nothing @CJohn

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Paramount only promotes one movie along I-95 a year. This year it was Transformers: The Last Explosion or whatever it was called.

This year has had a lot of movies which just came and went and don't even feel like they were from this year. I stumbled across Broad City earlier today and was reminded that the creator made Rough Night this year which flopped badly. It took me a while to even remember the title of the movie first.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This year has had a lot of movies which just came and went and don't even feel like they were from this year. I stumbled across Broad City earlier today and was reminded that the creator made Rough Night this year which flopped badly. It took me a while to even remember the title of the movie first.

It's just the current trend. Even some of the year's biggest moneymakers feel like already forgotten relics from long ago (you would be forgiven if you don't remember there was a Pirates of the Caribbean 5 this year). With the rise of social media, people are just losing interest in stuff at a faster rate.

Edited by filmlover

At the very least, the portions of 95 I drove in Massachusetts and Rhode Island were routinely horrible. If I had any way of avoiding 95, I took it, even if it meant driving double the distance going around on another nearby interstate or down back roads.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm trying to figure out what to get Wednesday during the Criterion sale. Barry Lyndon is something I'm getting regardless, but the rest is totally up in the air. These are movies I'm considering right now:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not gonna spend a whole lot on this sale (relatively speaking), and I kind of want to be a #casual and stay within my comfort zone (though I'm open to some foreign films; I almost got Pan's in the last sale and want that boxset before Shape of Water). @Jake Gittes I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on the movies in the tags and some other recommendations.

Fucking Before Trilogy man.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm trying to figure out what to get Wednesday during the Criterion sale. Barry Lyndon is something I'm getting regardless, but the rest is totally up in the air. These are movies I'm considering right now:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not gonna spend a whole lot on this sale (relatively speaking), and I kind of want to be a #casual and stay within my comfort zone (though I'm open to some foreign films; I almost got Pan's in the last sale and want that boxset before Shape of Water). @Jake Gittes I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on the movies in the tags and some other recommendations.

7 hours ago, aabattery said:

Before Trilogy

Llewyn Davis

What he said. Otherwise a lot of movies listed are my own blindspots that I can't wait to fix (Seven Samurai, McCabe, Sweet Smell of a Success, The Graduate, Don't Look Now especially). Out of what I've seen Paris Texas, Rushmore and Repulsion would be solid gets in addition to the above. The New World might be top 3 Malick, if you're down with his style then definitely grab it, if you haven't seen his first three, I'd recommend getting to them first. Also very much like Last Temptation, as an atheist it brought me closer than anything ever did to understanding why people believe, it's very moving and Dafoe is wonderful in it. But it's also somewhat challenging and an advanced study as far as Scorsese goes. Gotta see it at some point anyway, though. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today is the 100th anniversary of probably the last successful cavalry charge in history.  The charge of the Australian Lighthorse to take Beersheba. 

Here is your movie for the day. To be honest it’s pretty standard but the final cavalry charge is brilliant.