Alli

WEEKEND Thread | 'Jigsaw' -16.2M; TYFYS- 3.7M; Suburbicon- 2.8M

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

What is it with old people and loudly complaining about trailers? After every new trailer starts, people 70+ are all over it. "Ugh, another one!!" They just hate previews. I've noticed this for years.

This only ever happens to me at kids movies when kids get impatient :lol: Everyone else is fine.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

From experience, group of teens peak higher problem wise, but in % of chance of people talking during the movie, a group of old people are maybe the highest. 

This.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I gotta admit, old people can be the worst in theatres. Granted, 90% of them are friendly, respectful, and all around good people. But you obviously get those few bad apples who are rude or won't shut up.

If you're an usher and have to go get kids to quiet down, usually they listen to you, or teenagers, even adults most of the time will respect it when you tell them they're bothering the rest of the audience. But if you try and talk to an old person, or god forbid, have to ask them to leave after multiple offended, you'd better hope God is watching over you.

Yep. I remember earlier this month when I asked the seniors behind me in AM to be quiet they mocked me.

• Like 2

Welp, Only The Brave and Thank You is the one-two punch of Miles Teller feelz-inducing real life adult dramas that didn't really land strong at the box office. Good for him that he's getting good roles, but it's evident that they're not bringing in dem ticket sales. Sad.

Suburbicon is a disaster. Clearly, George Clooney should not be allowed to direct again.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

I have been a part of a lot of really loud teen crowds in theaters. Like swearing about some of the characters with real passion, laughing hysterically out loud, making inappropiate comments about the protagonists (mostly the female ones) etc etc

. I've got to admit though that most of the time's it is funny. I have yet to turn into a grumpy old guy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What is it with old people and loudly complaining about trailers? After every new trailer starts, people 70+ are all over it. "Ugh, another one!!" They just hate previews. I've noticed this for years.

Must be generalized, old people not caring anymore and being ultra vocal/speaking to themselves more than youngers one, paying customer being "lie" too for when the show start on their ticket to show them a bunch of publicity (and I imagine often for older people to a bunch to ridiculous movie for young people), more than 3 trailers is being a bit ridiculous with ads imo.

• Like 2

Jigsaw’s $8.5 million OD could change with evening shows. But still not that bad of a result considering a 7-year hiatus. 

Suburbicon is well a bomb. 26% audiences approval, and strange marketing will hurt the film. Paramount hopefully you got Downsizing or possibly not Daddy’s Home 2 to save you. 

I like at least five or six trailers. I feel like I am not getting the theater experience if I don't. Previews and the anticipation of watching the movie is half the fun of seeing film. True story: a large part of the reason I never see children/animated films is crappy previews.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I like at least five or six trailers. I feel like I am not getting the theater experience if I don't. Previews and the anticipation of watching the movie is half the fun of seeing film. True story: a large part of the reason I never see children/animated films is crappy previews.

For real. I've said this before, but the independent chain by me only attaches four trailers a lot of the time. That bugs the hell out of me, especially if it's a bad trailer mix (which it is about 70% of the time)

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

For real. I've said this before, but the independent chain by me only attaches four trailers a lot of the time. That bugs the hell out of me, especially if it's a bad trailer mix (which it is about 70% of the time)

I honestly think 5 trailers is optimal, or 6 depending on the movie. I agree that it builds the anticipation, and I enjoy seeing the previews on the big screen, even though I've seen them online obviously.

• Like 1

@Blankments might as well do my trailer update now bc I cancelled my OTB showing:

Jigsaw: 5 (Annabelle, It, mother!, American Assassin, Happy Death Day)

Suburbicon: 5 (Atomic Blonde, Wind River, mother!, Kingsman, American Made)

Thank You for Your Service: 2 (The Dark Tower, American Made)

Goodbye Christopher Robin: 1 (Battle of the Sexes)

9:

Daddy’s Home 2 (Transformers, Baby Driver, The House, Despicable Me, Apes, Wish Upon, Girls Trip, Ninjago, The Snowman)

7:

Thor: Ragnarok (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, The Mummy, Spider-Man, Valerian, Wish Upon, Atomic Blonde)

6:

Murder on the Orient Express (The Mummy, It Comes at Night, Apes, Wish Upon, American Made, The Snowman)

Pitch Perfect 3 (Baby Driver, Despicable Me, Big Sick, Girls Trip, Battle of the Sexes, Happy Death Day)

Star Wars (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, POTC, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Dunkirk)

5:

The Commuter (American Assassin, Kingsman, American Made, Blade Runner, The Foreigner)

4:

Coco (BATB, Gifted, Cars, Ninjago)

Wonder (POTC, Cars, Despicable Me, Battle of the Sexes)

3:

Annihilation (Blade Runner, The Foreigner, Happy Death Day)

Death Wish (Detroit, It, American Assassin)

Father Figures (American Made, The Foreigner, Happy Death Day)

The Greatest Showman (The House, Despicable Me, Kingsman)

Justice League (Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, The Snowman)

The Shape of Water (Apes, mother!, Battle of the Sexes)

2 and 1:

Spoiler

2:

Black Panther (Valerian, The Dark Tower)

Darkest Hour (Atomic Blonde, The Snowman)

Den of Thieves (The Foreigner, Happy Death Day)

Downsizing (mother!, Battle of the Sexes)

Ferdinand (Captain Underpants, Cars)

Jumanji (Ninjago, Kingsman)

Molly’s Game (The Foreigner, The Snowman)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

Proud Mary (Girls Trip, Happy Death Day)

Ready Player One (It, Blade Runner)

Red Sparrow (Kingsman, Blade Runner)

Roman J. Israel, Esq. (The Foreigner, The Snowman)

Three Billboards (Good Time, The Foreigner)

1:

All the Money in the World (American Made)

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard)

Bad Moms (The House)

The Current War (Wind River)

Duck Duck Goose (Ninjago)

Insidious: The Last Key (Happy Death Day)

Isle of Dogs (Ninjago)

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (Happy Death Day)

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure (Cars)

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blade Runner)

Super Troopers 2 (Kingsman)

A Wrinkle in Time (Valerian)

• Like 1

BOO1's 2nd weekend was 17.2m, giving a 10-day cume of 52.6m. It added 20.6m more (1.2x the 2nd weekend) to it's cume for 73.6m dom.

BOO2's 2nd weekend of ~10m gives a 10-day cume of 35.5m. Could add 1.0x the 2nd weekend more for a final total of 35.5 + 10 = 45.5m.

(less than BOO1's 10-day cume).

Edited by a2knet

The strangest trailer mixes are always the ones with nine trailers. It doesn't happen often, but I always go WTF. It's happened to me at Apes, Kingsman, and The House this year. The first two at least make some sense because they put in three Fox attachments for both of them, but The House baffled me. That's still my longest trailer mix this year at like 21 minutes :lol: 

Edit: might have happened at POTC too

Edited by WrathOfHan

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This only ever happens to me at kids movies when kids get impatient :lol: Everyone else is fine.

This.

Yep. I remember earlier this month when I asked the seniors behind me in AM to be quiet they mocked me.

I'd hate watching trailers too if I had only 4 years to live.

• Haha 1

1.55m weekend will give KINGSMAN 97.25m cume

0.45 (+114%) + 0.7 (+56%) + 0.4 (-43%) = 1.55

2.75m away from 100m. With the dollar bump should at least add 2m more for 99.25m cume and at that point the studio won't let it fall short.