Alli

WEEKEND Thread | 'Jigsaw' -16.2M; TYFYS- 3.7M; Suburbicon- 2.8M

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This has been an awful year for Matt Damon. The Great Wall, his link to the Weinstein debacle, and now this.

Silly filmlover. This is the greatest year in the life of Matt Damon. He gave you all the clues.

Very good for Jigsaw a debut in the $15-$20 million range. But should make it in the higher part. So either way Lionsgate is having a strong 2017.

Suburbicon is Death, the film was too goofy to be serious. And it just looked visually interesting with known names. 

Thank For Your Service, critics love it. But audiences won't be too much as the marketing has been focused on the American Sniper crew and looks similar to American Sniper.  

32 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I thought Bad Moms was coming out late Nov/December.  :lol:

Why the hell is it coming out next week?  

Christmas movies sink like stones immediately after Christmas so might as well use as much of that Nov-Dec window as you can. 

35 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

All major Christmas themed movies always release in early to mid November to take advantage of the build up to Christmas season. We had this discussion on WhatsApp last week and looking through history, basically every major Christmas themed movie from Home Alone to Elf to Grinch and many others opened in the first couple of weeks of November. Home Alone, in fact, is the only movie to top both Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Bad moms also had a preview event including at AMC 2 days ago and I am wondering when and how they will report that number

November 10th woulda been good for Bad Moms Xmas. More Christmasy. . I get why they are released in November but one day after Halloween is weird. The better November schedule has Three Billboards doing a limited theater run starting against Thor before it goes wide, and Bad Moms/Orient Express having a good lil battle on the 10th, with Three Billboards going wide as counterprogramming to Justice League. And also, maybe release a live action film over Thanksgiving instead of only a mediocre Pixar. Bad Moms would have worked there, too.

Edited by Cmasterclay

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

November 10th woulda been good for Bad Moms Xmas. More Christmasy. . I get why they are released in November but one day after Halloween is weird. The better November schedule has Three Billboards doing a limited theater run starting against Thor before it goes wide, and Bad Moms/Orient Express having a good lil battle on the 10th, with Three Billboards going wide as counterprogramming to Justice League. And also, maybe release a live action film over Thanksgiving instead of only a mediocre Pixar. Bad Moms would have worked there, too.

November 10 has literally the same movie, just gender flipped in Daddy's Home 2. There were supposed to be 2 live action releases alongside Coco over Thanksgiving before they all moved due to circumstances. 

Seriously though, who had ever asked for TV show production values just filmed with IMAX cameras?

The saga of the screen adaptation of Marvel’s Inhumans has finally gotten a public assessment, with Imax CEO Rich Gelfond blaming its disappointing reception, at least in theaters, on a “misalignment of customer expectations.” Corporate-speak translation: movie ticket buyers realized they had paid top dollar for a TV show.

Another experiment like 
Inhumans is not likely for Imax, based on Gelfond’s post-mortem. “Going forward, we intend to take a more conservative approach consistent with the Game of Thrones approach to capital investments and content,” Gelfond said on the call. “We will be more conservative when considering whether to invest our own capital; and if so, to what extent.”

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

November 10 has literally the same movie, just gender flipped in Daddy's Home 2. There were supposed to be 2 live action releases alongside Coco over Thanksgiving before they all moved due to circumstances. 

Shit I forgot that was even happening :hahaha:and I get that trailer all the time. That would have been better over Thanksgiving. Put Bad Moms on the 10th, Daddy's Home, Coco, and a wide Molly's Game on Thanksgiving. Something for everyone. 

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney opened The Santa Clause 2 on November 1 in 2002 and made a lot of money. So why not.

Did they open it against  a $100m+ opening blockbuster? :thinking:

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Christmas movies sink like stones immediately after Christmas so might as well use as much of that Nov-Dec window as you can. 

Because if it's o/w under-performs it's dead by Dec and misses out on the lucrative X-Mas days.

That and I'm not in the mood yet to think about X-Mas when Thanksgiving is weeks away.  It exhausts me. :P

• Like 1