grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

http://deadline.com/2017/10/crazy-rich-asians-movie-opens-august-2018-1202198394/

Warner Bros. already had August 17 on reserve for a comedy, and the studio announced today that it is designating that date for the release of the feature adaptation of Kevin Kwan’s novel Crazy Rich Asians

The pic is based on the first book in a trilogy centered on a U.S.-born Chinese economics professor and boyfriend. The book takes an incisive and comical look at the extended families of high society in Asia, offering a bracing exploration of the cultural differences among Asians of Chinese descent around the globe.

Jon M. Chu directs and Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong star.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope this is a super hit. The trilogy is so much fun but the last book (Rich People's Problems) is the next level of awesome. Such tight plot and what a twist. It's the most perfect ending. One of rare trilogies where the last book is the best. Rankings:

Rich People's Problems

Crazy Rich Asians

China Rich Girlfriend 

Who's playing Kitty? 

Edited by Valonqar

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope this is a super hit. The trilogy is so much fun but the last book (Rich People's Problems) is the next level of awesome. Such tight plot and what a twist. It's the most perfect ending. One of rare trilogies where the last book is the best. Rankings:

Rich People's Problems

Crazy Rich Asians

China Rich Girlfriend 

Who's playing Kitty? 

A newcomer; Fiona Xie says IMDB but she IS cast so that's good. I need her to act as extravagant as in the books.

Also yes @ that book ranking. 

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

A newcomer; Fiona Xie says IMDB but she IS cast so that's good. I need her to act as extravagant as in the books.

Also yes @ that book ranking. 

Yes! Kitty has to be OTT especially

the entrance with the dogs

in China Rich Girlfriend. 

Edited by Valonqar

https://www.thewrap.com/crazy-rich-asians-kevin-kwan-whitewash-heroine-hollywood-producer/

“Crazy Rich Asians” author Kevin Kwan said that before his book even hit shelves in 2013, one Hollywood producer came knocking on his door to make a film adaptation, but wanted to make one of the Chinese protagonists white.

In an Entertainment Weekly story, Kwan says that during an early meeting to discuss a film verion of his best-seller, an unnamed producer wanted to reimagine Rachel (who will be played by Constance Wu in the upcoming film) as Caucasian.

“That was their strategy,” he recalled. “They wanted to change the heroine into a white girl. I was like, ‘Well, you’ve missed the point completely,’ I said, ‘No, thank you.'”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, what stupid idea (to cast a white Rachel)!

Anyway, Rachel and Nick are such non-entities. The real stars are all other characters. 

Spoiler

Rachel hardly gets her own POV in the last book...it's mostly Nick in relation to his family. & Astrid, who is my favorite character.

This better do well enough to film the entire trilogy because I need to visually see Eddie acting a fool at Ah Ma's funeral. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Hide contents

Rachel hardly gets her own POV in the last book...it's mostly Nick in relation to his family. & Astrid, who is my favorite character.

This better do well enough to film the entire trilogy because I need to visually see Eddie acting a fool at Ah Ma's funeral. 

Eddie is one of my faves. I love him. he's so funny but the last book is the testament to the character. "Man of the hour" 

:hahaha:

Astrid is definitely more of a lead than Rachel who is just a plot device for the rest of the story to unfold and bring all those crazy characters into the picture.

yes, it better become a huge hit cause there's so much good stuff in sequels that must be on the screen. Like Kitty trying to be a good Christian in book 2 and then her rivalry with Collette culminating in THAT Tyresall Hall twist in book 3. 

I also hope they give us a brief glimpse of Bernard with his Kristen Bell face. :rofl:

So many good moments.

Edited by Valonqar