grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

This doesn't look that good at all. I'll probably still see it because I like RomComs but I mean really... the finger bowl gag in 2018

Yoou guys say the book is great so hopefully the film is decent.

Decent trailer, not sure on its box office prospects but I imagine it's been done on a fairly modest budget say $40-50m. 

This is a bit of a weird question but why do Nick and his siblings have English accents? I assume it's because they've been sent to schools in England.

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Decent trailer, not sure on its box office prospects but I imagine it's been done on a fairly modest budget say $40-50m. 

This is a bit of a weird question but why do Nick and his siblings have English accents? I assume it's because they've been sent to schools in England.

Yes, that's a part of it. The book starts with the family going to a posh hotel that mistook their accents and last name (Young) for Brits. When the manager saw they were Asians he refused to give them the presidential apartment that they booked. What happens next is why they are Crazy Rich Asians. :D

• Like 3

Slowly but surely things are getting more...colorful in Hollywood, and I could not be any happier. I hope this is a huge hit, and I hope that one day (soon), having all Latino, all Asian, all-black, all First Nations, all-LGBTQ and/or all-female casts in major Hollywood films will be commonplace.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AJG said:

This doesn't look that good at all. I'll probably still see it because I like RomComs but I mean really... the finger bowl gag in 2018

Yoou guys say the book is great so hopefully the film is decent.

lol I'm not rich at all and I've been to  restaurants that have finger bowls. I don't think the gag is realistic. 

Edited by ban1o

29 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

@MrPink we need your input on this bro

I'm pretty sure the last half of the trailer featured variations of lines I've heard Asian parents say  in my lifetime:whosad:

Looks OK. Jon Chu is a...less than good director. 

• Like 1

I want this to be the film that relegitimizes romantic comedies. It'd be a shame if an entire genre fell by the wayside, especially one with so many memorable, diverse, cherished films (Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, 500 Days of Summer, Say Anything, Silver Linings Playbook).

Edited by slambros

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

How long before the thinkpieces about how the movie's title perpetuates the demonization of neurodivergent individuals and people with mental illnesses? You know that "crazy" has been appropriated by...certain people, and now is an 'offensive' word... SMH 

Edited by StevenG
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, StevenG said:

How long before the thinkpieces about how the movie's title perpetuates the demonization of neurodivergent individuals and people with mental illnesses? You know that "crazy" has been appropriated by...certain people, and now is an 'offensive' word... SMH 

What? Is this about the people that got offended by the word “colonisers” in Black Panther?