Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

We'll see. IMO, you guys are underestimating JL, it's going to push $500m DOM, it's going to undercut TR coming and Coco going, outgrossing both combined DOM.

And you're overrating Jedi. IMO, Disney has gone to the well once too often. They've soaked the Christmas box office with Star Wars two years in a row, and the third time is going to be the Curse.

WB for the win!  

A Star Wars spinoff about Jar Jar Binks would probably still make more than JL. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

We'll see. IMO, you guys are underestimating JL, it's going to push $500m DOM, it's going to undercut TR coming and Coco going, outgrossing both combined DOM.

And you're overrating Jedi. IMO, Disney has gone to the well once too often. They've soaked the Christmas box office with Star Wars two years in a row, and the third time is going to be the Curse.

WB for the win!  

Dare I ask your prediction for Last Jedi?

I think JL "only" does about 125 next week. Middling marketing has led to minimal buzz, I know no one talking about it - and these are people that were buzzing a ton for Suicide Squad and BvS. It also needs to re-earn goodwill, so decent reviews would help it. It just looks same-y - there's no real hook besides being another team up film. The jokes and the style just appears rote - as basic as a movie like this gets. Has the potential to do more, but trying to be safe in marketing + lack of goodwill. But I can see it get up to 140 and do around New Moon numbers. The 150+ breaking November record predictions don't seem likely to me.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think JL "only" does about 125 next week. Middling marketing has led to minimal buzz, I know no one talking about it - and these are people that were buzzing a ton for Suicide Squad and BvS. It also needs to re-earn goodwill, so decent reviews would help it. It just looks same-y - there's no real hook besides being another team up film. The jokes and the style just appears rote - as basic as a movie like this gets. Has the potential to do more, but trying to be safe in marketing + lack of goodwill. But I can see it get up to 140 and do around New Moon numbers. The 150+ breaking November record predictions don't seem likely to me.

opinionated.gif

Well, I'm truly impressed by Thor's numbers.  That's a really nice drop and the WW numbers are quite awesome.  Marvel can do no wrong, it seems.  

I'm also really surprised by the WW numbers for Orient Express.  It just had a 46 million dollar weekend internationally.  Impressive.  Most impressive.  I think it's heading for much more than 200 mill WW.  Nice to see it doing so well.

Daddy's Home was a well liked film, the sequel looks to be as well.  I don't think the sequel will duplicate the multiplier of the first, but it should be able to reach 100 million.

The producers of Bad Mom's 2 seemed to know something that others didn't (like Empire).  Some people said the release date was stupid and it should have been released later.  Well, maybe the examined the market place and the release date and figured it out.  The first week gets a 5 day and builds up WOM.   It's aimed at adult women and like @TwoMisfits pointed out, women don't rush out to see a film.  So the second weekend it takes advantage of Veteran's Day and it has a small drop.  Then it remains counter programming to Justice League in week three and then it has the Thanksgiving holiday.  Seems like a pretty good strategy to me and it also seems to be working.  A 31% decline is excellent and now it's almost at 40 million.  It could sprout some good legs from here and make a play for 75-80 million.  On a 28 million dollar budget, that's not too shabby.

Too bad IT isn't being tracked right now but the international numbers are still going nicely.  It's at 683 million now and still should have enough for 700.

Geostorm is almost at 200 million.  

The Foreigner is at 134 mill WW, which is not too bad.  I would have liked to see it do more state side but I guess there's only so much interest in these kinds of films now.  Shame.

41 million for Coco internationally so far...very nice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am starting to think that Coco may surprise.

It's been centuries since the last event animation.

I wouldn't be surprised at a Moana like performance.

But but THE EMOJI MOVIE isnt even half a year old!