WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

His star has certainly fallen because of his life choices. The Tomorrow War was perfect red state fodder (for a week or two), they love a veteran. 

Where is the evidence of this? I can't see how his life choices has effected his star power as he still comes across as a likable guy whilst his films have had the most success outside of the MCU than any of the other leads since.

Most people don't view The Tomorrow war as a "red state fodder" movie any more than something like Hemsworth's Extraction. It's just an average sci fi mashup of better movies yet it was no worse than Extraction, 6 Underground or some of the other made for streaming crap these high profile actors have been in lately.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Where is the evidence of this? I can't see how his life choices has effected his star power as he still comes across as a likable guy whilst his films have had the most success outside of the MCU than any of the other leads since.

Most people don't view The Tomorrow war as a "red state fodder" movie any more than something like Hemsworth's Extraction. It's just an average sci fi mashup of better movies yet it was no worse than Extraction, 6 Underground or some of the other made for streaming crap these high profile actors have been in lately.

The backlash against him definitely seems to be solely on Twitter. As far as I can tell, he hasn’t actually done or said anything to warrant such hate. Sure, he’s a Republican, but for the most part he seems to keep quiet on the subject of politics, and considering his step-dad is a Republican who is extremely anti-Trump, I can’t really see him being one of those Republicans (not to mention he’s friends with James Gunn).

I know he also allegedly goes to a church that has a few questionable beliefs, but again, he’s hardly shouting from the roof tops about anti-abortion beliefs.

People seem to hate on him for hating’s sake. That said, I do think he’s miscast here, but who knows, we might all be wrong and he somehow nails it, I guess we’ll see in a year or so.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is Chris Pratt a Republican? The only thing I recall him saying about his political beliefs is that he doesn’t really identify with either side of the political spectrum. Plus, he donated to Obama in 2012. 

It could be online BS, I’ve just had a quick search and it definitely seems like he’s politically neutral. The people criticising him for being “republican” seem to be going out of their way to trash him for other beliefs (which also seem to be false or exaggerated based on his on the record denials).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The backlash against him definitely seems to be solely on Twitter. As far as I can tell, he hasn’t actually done or said anything to warrant such hate. Sure, he’s a Republican, but for the most part he seems to keep quiet on the subject of politics, and considering his step-dad is a Republican who is extremely anti-Trump, I can’t really see him being one of those Republicans (not to mention he’s friends with James Gunn).

I know he also allegedly goes to a church that has a few questionable beliefs, but again, he’s hardly shouting from the roof tops about anti-abortion beliefs.

People seem to hate on him for hating’s sake. That said, I do think he’s miscast here, but who knows, we might all be wrong and he somehow nails it, I guess we’ll see in a year or so.

The problem isn’t that he’s a Republican. It’s to do with his choice to heavily support a specific church. 

And to describe their beliefs as only “questionable” is pretty glib to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

From Chris Pratt:

“I don’t feel represented by either side, I really feel there’s common ground out there that’s missed because we focus on the things that separate us.”

Going by the Twitter hate I'd say he's hit the nail on the head with that. He's one of the few who keeps out of the political nonsense yet people have had to dig and see who he follows to assume his political stance, then hate on him going by nothing but assumption. Worst thing I found about him is he hunts but if we eat meat (which I'm sure most of us do) then it's hypocritical. But hating on him for things like being very religious or not attending a political fundraising campaign is just never going to be morally acceptable. 

I think out of all the actors though, Charlie Day seems like the best choice with that voice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The problem isn’t that he’s a Republican. It’s to do with his choice to heavily support a specific church. 

And to describe their beliefs as only “questionable” is pretty glib to be honest. 

But has he ever voiced support for any faith based discrimination? Or any hateful opinion for that matter?

16 minutes ago, Chicago said:

But has he ever voiced support for any faith based discrimination? Or any hateful opinion for that matter?

Elliot Page said his church is "anti LGBTQ".

Pratt said 

“It has recently been suggested that I belong to a church which ‘hates a certain group of people’ and is ‘infamously anti-LGBTQ.’ Nothing could be further from the truth. I go to a church that opens their doors to absolutely everyone,” he wrote.

Pointing to his split from ex-wife Anna Faris, Pratt said his case is an example of the church opening its doors to “absolutely everyone”

“Despite what the Bible says about divorce my church community was there for me every step of the way, never judging, just gracefully accompanying me on my walk,” Pratt said.

“They helped me tremendously offering love and support. It is what I have seen them do for others on countless occasions regardless of sexual orientation, race or gender,” he added.

The actor, however, made it clear that though “faith is important” to him, he is not a “spokesman for any church or any group of people”.

The whole thing is problematic as the chief Pastor of Hillsong (the church Pratt is a member of) said

The church’s global pastor Brian Houston had said that he “holds to traditional Christian thought on gay lifestyles and gay marriage” and “God’s word is clear that marriage is between a man and a woman”.

So thats why Pratt is going to be tagged and targeted by the LGBTQ community on social media. 

Edited by Ronin46

On 9/25/2021 at 5:23 PM, WittyUsername said:

As much as I think Illumination is a painfully mediocre animation studio, it’s not like Super Mario is something that requires much care and craft. I’m expecting another paint by numbers animated movie, but I’m not gonna lose sleep over it.  

I would’ve loved a Pixar Studios Mario movie.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

Elliot Page said his church is "anti LGBTQ".

Pratt said 

“It has recently been suggested that I belong to a church which ‘hates a certain group of people’ and is ‘infamously anti-LGBTQ.’ Nothing could be further from the truth. I go to a church that opens their doors to absolutely everyone,” he wrote.

Pointing to his split from ex-wife Anna Faris, Pratt said his case is an example of the church opening its doors to “absolutely everyone”

“Despite what the Bible says about divorce my church community was there for me every step of the way, never judging, just gracefully accompanying me on my walk,” Pratt said.

“They helped me tremendously offering love and support. It is what I have seen them do for others on countless occasions regardless of sexual orientation, race or gender,” he added.

The actor, however, made it clear that though “faith is important” to him, he is not a “spokesman for any church or any group of people”.

The whole thing is problematic as the chief Pastor of Hillsong (the church Pratt is a member of) said

The church’s global pastor Brian Houston had said that he “holds to traditional Christian thought on gay lifestyles and gay marriage” and “God’s word is clear that marriage is between a man and a woman”.

So thats why Pratt is going to be tagged and targeted by the LGBTQ community on social media. 

It's just Elliot Page trying to become relevent again by picking fights online. No wonder no-one gives him movie roles these days

• Like 3

On 9/27/2021 at 12:12 AM, Dear Eric Hansen said:

Moderation

Guys, this isn't the Chris Pratt thread. Cut it out with the off-topic arguments.

It's his movie, and I think people should be able to defend an actor they like from dumb accusations without being threatened of a thread ban and being labelled as a troll by mods. Unless of course you're trying to push certain political agendas on this site.

Looking back I hadn't even mentioned the guy since this 'moderation post' yet here I am with a shitty warning from mods titled 'Troll Attack'

Edited by Chicago

Calling it now:

Martinet is playing Mario and Luigis dad, who is the "Jumpman" version of Mario who went up against the "original" Donkey Kong, who is now Cranky Kong

On 9/24/2021 at 6:40 AM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I honestly hope this pulls a Detective Pikachu and underperforms

Detective Pikachu didn't underperform, people just had ridiculously outsized expectations for it. It was never going to make a billion.

Edited by SpiderByte