WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Just now, TRISTAN said:

Can anybody explain to me why you think that the 2023 movie will be a big hit when in fact the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie was a disaster at box office ?

Because the 1993 movie was garbage I guess.

Nintendo didn't have the vision back then it does now?

1 minute ago, TRISTAN said:

Can anybody explain to me why you think that the 2023 movie will be a big hit when in fact the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie was a disaster at box office ?

This logic makes literally no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So according to the Deadline article, this thing is expected to make $125M in the US and $100M overseas by the end of this weekend. 

Is the dom/os split really expected to be like 55/45? I was thinking it'd be more like Minions 40/60 split. 

Based on what Deadline is saying, it'll probably make around $700M on territories opening this week, plus it's opening in a small handful of other territories later, including South Korea and Japan. But are those even enough to get it to a 40/60 split? 

10 minutes ago, Sophie said:

So according to the Deadline article, this thing is expected to make $125M in the US and $100M overseas by the end of this weekend. 

Is the dom/os split really expected to be like 55/45? I was thinking it'd be more like Minions 40/60 split. 

Based on what Deadline is saying, it'll probably make around $700M on territories opening this week, plus it's opening in a small handful of other territories later, including South Korea and Japan. But are those even enough to get it to a 40/60 split? 

Deadline always underestimates OS gross on these projections 1-2 days before release. So won´t be surprised if it goes much higher

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sophie said:

No idea about OS but DOM should be higher surely so I assume OS is lowballed also. There are a few countries getting a delay on this but the only major countries would be SK and Japan on there as far as I can tell (but Asia looks weakish relative to rest of the world here so not expecting much from SK, Japan is almost never big OW even if it did somehow break out over there).

I am not sure about the split but if I were to guess I also feel like OS should be stronger than DOM though probably closer to like 45-55 but certainly 40-60 could be in the cards - I am sure LATAM will do great and it will probably play well in europe too (hopefully France does really big).

Edited by JustLurking

22 minutes ago, Sophie said:

I don't think any of us really know. Outside of China we are all making guesses in the dark for this film overseas me thinks.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Ouch, Robert usually isn't that scathing with his reviews but damn. I don't see bad reviews hurting this too much. It's looks colorful and vibrant which is enough for some parents to take their kids to see it.