DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Just heard from a friend saying there are about 10 people at his screening right now.

On a Saturday afternoon at a movie tailor made for kids with three of the most popular comic book characters in history.

FLyefDO.gif

I can only presume that it's not going to that much of a rock bottom, buuuuuut if it opens sub-90M......... there's a chance that Justice League has a smaller opening weekend than Logan.

Like Deadpool once said, "sweet baby Jesus".

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@Krissykins I can see why one wouldn't like the superhero stuff (except Logan, I just don't see anyone thinking that as shit), but you thought that Baby Driver, Dunkirk, War For The Planet Of The Apes and Split were "shit"?

Ah Logan was good. I didn’t love Split, Apes was a big drop in quality, Baby Driver was just ok and Dunkirk was just impressive visually. 

• Like 1

Just now, RichWS said:

I'm still a bit flummoxed by the rapturous response Baby Driver received. I mean I understand why it did, but it feels like one of those golden movies to everybody else and I'm off to the side thinking, "I have some issues!"

Kevin Spacey completely kills any desire to watch it again anyway. Stick a fork in it, Baby Driver is done.

I really am curious as to what would have happened without WW being such a success? On one hand, is it really possible that it could have had zero benefit for the OW and on the other is it really possible that it did with the OW we're getting? I mean if so, was JL gonna open to like 55m or something? 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If you had you’d know that Wonder Woman was the best this year and ever. 

I want to believe you, but you also said Ghostbusters '16 was really good. :(

Spoiler

Joking aside, it's definitely the next one I'll watch. I've just barely been to the cinema this year.

Edited by Hatebox

Baby Driver was awesome. Great cast, great soundtrack, great script, amazingly shot action sequences.... just exciting, charismatic and heartfelt. A damn solid, entertaining, original action movie. Still only 3 or 4 in my Edgar Wright ranks (definitely have Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim ahead of it, with Shaun Of The Dead on par or above), but dammit I had a lovely time watching it.

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Kevin Spacey completely kills any desire to watch it again anyway. Stick a fork in it, Baby Driver is done.

If I were to judge everything that Spacey was on that was, I would never watch Se7en - my favorite movie of all time, and my 2nd favorite Spacey performance (behind The Usual Suspects... though Se7en is definitely a better movie for me) - again.

I get that he's a predator and a sick person and he deserves to have his balls ripped off, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that his presence kills whatever desire I might to watch BD (or any movie he's been in for that matter). It's not such an extremely uncomfortable thing (like Woody Allen and Manhattan or Luc Besson and The Professional) that I can't separate art from the artist.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Baby Driver was awesome. Great cast, great soundtrack, great script, amazingly shot action sequences.... just exciting, charismatic and heartfelt. A damn solid, entertaining, original action movie. Still only 3 or 4 in my Edgar Wright ranks (definitely have Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim ahead of it, with Shaun Of The Dead on par or above), but dammit I had a lovely time watching it.

If I were to judge everything that Spacey was on that was, I would never watch Se7en - my favorite movie of all time, and my 2nd favorite Spacey performance (behind The Usual Suspects... though Se7en is definitely a better movie for me) - again. 

Still, I’d rather not support it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I want to believe you, but you also said Ghostbusters '16 was really good. :(

Hide contents

Joking aside, it's definitely the next one I'll watch. I've just barely been to the cinema this year.

Hehe. I still stand by Ghostbusters. I love it. But let’s not derail this thread anymore. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shawn said:

I would be tempted to agree if not for the holidays.

If it holds like BvS and SS did on Sat/Sun despite a drastically smaller preview/OD, then I can't see how any kind of good WOM can possibly be expected. Only holiday it really has is next weekend, Xmas grosses will likely be too small to matter much. 

10 minutes ago, Rth Ragnarok said:

WE should be around 180m (inclu wed/thu), final 400-500

From Rth in the international thread. Assuming it opens to 95 million dom and manages 2.5 legs it gets to 237. 

OS if it opens to 180 then it would need 2.78x to get to 500 OS. For reference I think Thor is gonna manage a 2.45-2.5 legs to a final OS total of 540. I find it hard to believe JL will have better legs than Thor in OS markets. But even if we give Thor's 2.5 multi to JL it will get JL to 450 OS. 

Combine 240 Dom with 450 OS means a 690 total. There is a chance this could miss 700m WW and come under IT worldwide

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

i liked baby driver but my crazy take that i haven't bothered posting since i saw it is that the car chase sequences are just kinda ok. not that special or interesting to me. i remember i watched the driver the night before maybe that was a mistake, the car chases in that are incredible and visceral.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

I thought that was a mistake, but John Wayne has made the list every single year.   Like...he's the only name to never miss a single year.  Wow....dude has been dead since the 70s.   That's star power.

Yeah, from the current momentum it sound safe to say that no one will ever come close to John Wayne domestic star power and domestic box office track record..

According to this:

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/john-wayne-movies/

50 movie adjusting to 100m domestic (Tom Cruise has 26 of them for a comparison)

• Like 1