DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

21 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Ragnarok just opened at 122M two weeks ago. 4 CB movies have hit over 800-850M this year. JL is flopping because cause it's terrible and BvS damaged the brand. Simple. 

Right. And WW had a 4x multiple. SM HC crushed in its later weeks. JL was suppose to be much bigger than all 3 of those films. It wont even come close. That is significant. JL is the tentpole of tentpoles and it failed in an epic manner. The one thing I know for sure is that comic book movie genre will never be the same and massive changes will happen.

1 minute ago, Lestranger said:

Right. And WW had a 4x multiple. SM HC crushed in its later weeks. JL was suppose to be much bigger than all 3 of those films. It wont even come close. That is significant. JL is the tentpole of tentpoles and it failed in an epic manner. The one thing I know for sure is that comic book movie genre will never be the same and massive changes will happen.

If people had actually liked BvS then maybe it would have but this is JL paying for the sins of its predecessor.

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There are plenty of great movies outside of the big blockbusters.  I recommend checking out a few of them and you probably won't regret it.  Some of my favorite movies of this year went completely under the radar or outright bombed.

Yeah. I usually end up discovering really good movies through streaming or Redbox and thinking to myself "why didn't I see this in theatres"... I need to expand my horizons lol

Ps: I forgot I also saw Blade Runner and Kingsman. Those aren't super flicks...

Edited by El Gato

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

yeah but that's a once a year affair.  there are gonna be like 11 superhero movies coming out next year.

It is a lot, movies that will have worldwide release with studio budget (mid range and higher, not superheroes necessarily, but still certain to play in multiplex around the world)

Just looking at live action / live action issh, many animated big movies outthere.

List of movies with major world wide release in mind (bolded non superheroes movei with I suspect production that rival the smaller superheroes entry size):

Maze runner

50 shades

Red Sparrow

Wrinkle in Time

Tomb Raider

Pacific Rim

Ready Player One

Rampage

Ocean Eight

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Skyscraper

Alita: Battle Angel

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Mission: Impossible 6

The Equalizer 2

The Predator

Barbie

The Meg

Robin Hood

Jungle Book

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Creed 2

Mortal Engines

The Women of Marwen

Bumblebee

Mary Poppins Returns

Solo

Less sure but maybe they will:

Alpha

The Girl in the Spider's Web

Holmes and Watson

Overlord

Did I forgot some ?

So

Ready Player One

Rampage

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Skyscraper

Alita: Battle Angel

Mission: Impossible 6

The Meg

Robin Hood

Jungle Book

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Bumblebee

Mary Poppins Returns

Solo

Just 13 live action movies the size of the smallest superheroes (say Logan/Ant-Man) movie and up, could be missing some (like all the animated movie) and it is still more than the SH entries but it is getting close.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

:kitschjob:

Pretty sure MCU and the rest of the Marvel films will be just fine thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, cookie said:

If people had actually liked BvS then maybe it would have but this is JL paying for the sins of its predecessor.

To some degree yes. But I think if people really held a grudge for BvS we would have seen more depressed numbers for SS and WW. The failure of JL is catastrophic. If it opened just below 150, yeah maybe I would buy that BvS depressed the numbers. But below 100m indicates a systemic problem.

1 minute ago, Lestranger said:

To some degree yes. But I think if people really held a grudge for BvS we would have seen more depressed numbers for SS and WW. The failure of JL is catastrophic. If it opened just below 150, yeah maybe I would buy that BvS depressed the numbers. But below 100m indicates a systemic problem.

Why would it do that when a Thor movie opened way higher just two weeks prior? Saying this is a systemic problem ignores pretty much all outside context.

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Predicting Aquaman to fail solely because of Justice League is silly. Wonder Woman didn't fail after following the one two punch of SS and BvS. If Aquaman is good and is marketed well it could easily be a hit.

The team involved screams style over substance to me, which is pretty much the Snyder formula that has failed DCEU so badly. I don't know about Momoa's ability to headline a tentpole and  portray a character with much of any depth either. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

:kitschjob:

Pretty sure MCU and the rest of the Marvel films will be just fine thank you. 

The MCU as we know it will be over in 2019. What they do next is really up in the air. Timing wise, it seems like they just managed to finish their shit as the tide changes. 

Justice League is opening below 100 million because of BvS's terrible reception. That is the only reason that it's opening this low. Ninja Turtles 2 opened much lower because the first one was crap as well.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Whats up with all these X-Men Dark Phoenix  100M total predicts. Thats fucking insane. Give it a Break. 

I don’t know. Aud doesn't seem to care about the prequel cast and Apoc was totally rejected, so I can kinda see a 100m total. It needs a killer marketing campaing to suprass 120m me thinks.