Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

This film has definitely been caught in the limbo of "What does Disney want to do with it?" during this pandemic, the regular gutting of 20th Century Pictures and 20th TV (which I didn't think would last long, anyway)...and the debate behind the scenes of whether it "belongs" on Disney+ or whether indeed Disney might consider expanding on its own streaming service for a more adult-themed sub-channel.

Wonder if Disney will announce that HULU eventually gets folded into Disney+?  

Next Thursday will surely be interesting...

Edited by Macleod

9 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

This is going to Disney+ or Hulu or Disney18+ for sure. So will Black Widow. Yeah yeah Kevin Feige is powerful blah blah, but he is still an employee of Disney and can only do so much to preserve theatrical experience of MCU movies. 

it definitely could, but disney fans are zombies , they have huge subscriber growth with barely any new content, they would never put an expensive film on Hulu unless they decide to put on both services at the same time

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

12 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

This is going to Disney+ or Hulu or Disney18+ for sure. So will Black Widow. Yeah yeah Kevin Feige is powerful blah blah, but he is still an employee of Disney and can only do so much to preserve theatrical experience of MCU movies. 

Doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would do well on a Disney channel.

This poster is a big cause of concern. To put Gal Gadot in the center is a misleading move, given how her role will have to be pretty limited in screentime, though the character itself is obviously essential to the story.

Sadly, this movie seriously lacks star power, the trailer was underwhelming and the story /twist is already widely known (not as much as MOTOE, but still) which basically kills the interest of a whodunnit. Disney decided to dump this in september, but they really should have released it in streaming during a holiday season (I could see easter /halloween- thanksgiving all working out for this).

Mess all around, and a pity for those like me who actually love Christie, because the inevitable flop of this one will likely push Disney/fox away from producing more whodunnit.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

5 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Disney decided to dump this in september, but they really should have released it in streaming during a holiday season (I could see easter /halloween- thanksgiving all working out for this).

They can't easily dump this on streaming as this is Fox which goes to HBO for first window TV/Streaming rights. Which is why it does not make sense they did not sacrifice this to help theaters.

I don't think people knowing the ending of this is important. MotOE has the most famous reveal of any whodunnit and it's had two hugely successful adaptations. 

DotN's ending is probably her most satisfying - the denouement is brilliant and the characters are some of Christie's best. I would've loved an eerie, gothic version of Peril at End House, or a melancholic take on Five Little Pigs, or a full-on thriller ABC Murders, but I'm here for a horny DotN.  

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I would've loved an eerie, gothic version of Peril at End House

Me too! I actually think they should have gone for that one first, and leave DOTN for better times, when they could gather a more prestigious cast.

Since this type of movies have very large casts and, as a consequence, limited roles for each member, I think Branagh should have gone for some real draw regardless of actual acting abilities: give a small role to Emma Watson, or a big role to Emilia Clarke or Keira Knightley....there are so many well-known brits to choose from!

Gal Gadot + Armie Hammer is not enough to get europeans on the seats, and MOTOE earned most of its money due to being iper-successful in Europe.

Heck, one of the biggest country was Italy for that one, and as an italian I can assure you that most people watched that for the incredible cast (Depp, Cruz and Pfeiffer are superstars here), and I know that they wouldn't pay to see Gadot (WW was disapointing in Italy, just like in many other EU countries) or Hammer. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire