WrathOfHan

Monday Numbers: Justice League 7.5M | Wonder 4M | Thor 2.5M

Monday comps and what it gives JL from 22.69 Sunday:

MJ1 -65.3% : 7.87

FB -63.5% : 8.28

MJ2 -63.3% : 8.33

7.5 would be -66.95%. IMO as long it touches that it's good. Tuesday should have a better hold than these films (Coco previews may not be much being an animated film) and Wed worse due Coco's OD.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Deals for these sorts of pickups/extra production/replacement production aren't negotiated based on stuff like prior box-office performance. It's a different situation. Whedon might get a script doctor fee for the early portion of the work (before actual production begins) -- that would be a relatively standard fee for that sort of thing: could run 100k-200k/week. He'd get a separate amount for the directing portion but that would likely be for production only. Then he might have a separate rate for post-production (which likely wouldn't be as much as the directing+writing elements).

Point being -- I think you're over-estimating the amount of the reshoot budget that went to him. Yes, WB no doubt spent quite a bit, but the bulk of it isn't getting dumped into a single person's salary.

Whedon's been attached as script doctor since at least March (maybe earlier), then re-shoots in May and then he over saw the editing over several months.  Even if he was just getting $100-200k a week that's months of work and a couple of million.  But he was also doing WB a HUGE favor.  He doesn't need the money nor to attach his name to a stinker, for that they pay whether he has a directing credit or not.

Of course though the bulk of the re-shoots wasn't his salary and the film didn't cost $175m  pre-reshoots either.  That post is desperate fan nonsense.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, narniadis said:

How do I know that JL isn't going to get good wom from the average Joe? The wife's OB (had our 3rd kid today) at the start of the day saw my JL tee shirt and asked if I saw the film and then proceeded to rip into how terrible it was, particularly when compared to Thor.... 

I laughed. 

Congratulations!  

• Like 2

Script doctors routinely work on all sorts of “awful” movies, though. The idea that somehow Whedon would sully his name or be doing WB a giant favor doesn’t really factor into it. If he had demanded an exorbitant amount, they likely would’ve found another director they had a good working relationship with to oversee the additional shooting. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Script doctors routinely work on all sorts of “awful” movies, though. The idea that somehow Whedon would sully his name or be doing WB a giant favor doesn’t really factor into it. If he had demanded an exorbitant amount, they likely would’ve found another director they had a good working relationship with to oversee the additional shooting. 

Would 7-8m be an exorbitant amount ? , that is significantly less than someone like a Paul Feig on a big movie compensation.

Specially being a preferable position than anyone else, not just with the experience in the genre but also if he had already worked on the movie (if I remember the story of Snyder asking for help before he leaved the project, that could all be PR stuff, who knows), with the very short time to turn around with someone else ? I imagine that why they went with someone with Gilroy directing track record with Rogue One also and paid him so much for it he was already involved with the movie. Going with something completely new like for Han Solo is probably less ideal than someone already familiar ?

Specially if he is not making any % back end deal, someone like him that is probably used to do what 20/25m + good % for movies like that ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Script doctors often keep their names out of it to keep from being sullied.    He was reportedly doing that as a favor as part of his new relationship with the studio.  Extending that to directing for a thankless position is another matter. 

As for a fee above and beyond the norm it depends what one considers exorbitant for the writer/ director of two movies that made over $2.9b when your linchpin team up movie you hope will your Avengers is in disarray.  Do you suddenly get cheap with $300m and a cinematic universe worth billions on the table?

Or what @Barnack said above.  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I want Whedon's Batgirl <_<. Or give him GL - that's a tough nut to crack even aesthetically. And is a mini ensemble by default due to multiple lanterns - I guess it falls under his ally.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

I want Whedon's Batgirl <_<. Or give him GL - that's a tough nut to crack even aesthetically. And is a mini ensemble by default due to multiple lanterns - I guess it falls under his ally.

Emma Stone would be so perfect as Batgirl imo.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would 7-8m be an exorbitant amount ? , that is significantly less than someone like a Paul Feig on a big movie compensation.

You can’t really compare what directors get paid on regular projects. Someone who steps in during production complications is being hired for different reasons and in many ways it’s a more technical approach and position. Obviously it happens more often with writers but the process is more or less the same. Someone might be an A-list screenwriter and command millions of dollars for their scripts, but if they’re brought on for doctoring, they’re on a flat weekly rate. 

As to why Whedon chose to do it, even if the money is less than he might make if he was negotiating a deal for another project, there are several possibilities: friendship with Snyder, desire to maintain a good relationship with WB, a fondness for the material, etc. 

edit: to reply to @TalismanRing (instead of quoting again), script doctors don’t withhold their names because they don’t want to be associated with it, they go in knowing full well they will not be given a credit (which means no residuals), and as compensation for some highly technical writing under pressure, they will make a very good weekly rate. This whole deal about your name being ruined if you work on a bad movie has in large part been over-emphasized by fans. Studios and execs know who did the specific work no matter the actual credit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

How do I know that JL isn't going to get good wom from the average Joe? The wife's OB (had our 3rd kid today) at the start of the day saw my JL tee shirt and asked if I saw the film and then proceeded to rip into how terrible it was, particularly when compared to Thor.... 

I laughed. 

Congrats. :)

Edited by jb007

26 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Wonder over JL would require a lot, I think. 

Justice League

$38 million/$57 million ($163 million)

$16 million ($186 million)

$9 million ($200 million)

$2.5 million ($204 million)

$1 million/$1.5 million ($207 million)

$0.75 million/$1 million ($209 million)

$210 million DOM 

Wonder

$32 million/$45 million ($81 million)

$17 million ($104 million)

$15.5 million ($125 million)

$9 million ($137 million)

$10 million/$14.5 million ($161 million)

$12 million/$15.5 million ($189 million)

$6.5 million ($197 million)

$4.5 million/$6.25 million ($205 million)

$2.5 million ($208 million)

$1.5 million ($210 million)

$215 million DOM

Of course, it would require stronger legs than The Blind Side, but the A+ CinemaScore and the dearth of quality, appealing family movies since DM3 may give Wonder a boost to $200 million+ DOM. 

That would be one of the year's biggest stories along with It, Split, Get Out etc.

Wonder is a film everyone should see, sends a fantastic message the world needs today. It's so wonderful.

Everyone in the cinema was very affected by it when I saw it. 

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

I laughed. 

Congrats!

• Like 1

The biggest dom story this year imo is,

1/2) IT/Get Out (Get Out's: 4.5 budget (dom = 39x) , ~5.3x legs were twice IT's 2.65x, while IT's absolute BO is nearly twice GO's 174 dom)

3) Wonder Woman [Had the most all rounded run. Big OW big legs. Dom was 2.77x the budget]

I think no matter what SW8 does, it's not gonna be a surprise at par with this films, not even with 1b dom the shock value will match IT/GO/Wonder Woman.

Coco might have great legs but not Frozen like to make the 'surprise run' list.

So Wonder is the only contender right now - if it pulls off a Blind Side, does 5-6x going over Get Out or smth.

Edited by a2knet

Even $7M would be pretty rough for Justice League; a worse Monday decline than any major pre-Thanksgiving opener since Happy Feet, and since Goblet of Fire for live action releases. Whether that means means it's playing to a more family audience I'm not sure, but I don't think that would mean great things for the hold considering Coco releases. I'm starting to wonder if it's going to hold like Deathly Hallows Pt 1, which if it did would put it on course for ~$220M.

$4M would be incredible for Wonder, though. The Blind Side managed a 7 multiplier before oscar noms were announced, and while I don't know if Wonder will get any, even that kind of run would put it within striking distance of $200M. Its Sunday hold was better than The Blind Side, and the Monday drop (if accurate) is much stronger. If Wonder doesn't beat JL, it may get within 10% of the total DOM gross.