That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

40 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Debating whether or not to see Orient Express. Is it worth it? 

It is by the numbers, pedestrian film making, a pointless remake.

It's also reasonably entertaining with great scenery. Have seen many worse movies this year. So sure, see it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

It is by the numbers, pedestrian film making, a pointless remake.

It's also reasonably entertaining with great scenery. Have seen many worse movies this year. So sure, see it.

This is exactly what I thought it would be. Gonna give it a watch once I can watch it at home.

• Like 1

I am just curious to know If Orient has action scenes. From the trailer it seems that there is at least one although in the original there is no such thing.

Anyone not bored please DM me.

If they really tried to make this an action thriller I am not intrested in giving them my coins.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

24 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am just curious to know If Orient has action scenes. From the trailer it seems that there is at least one although in the original there is no such thing.

Anyone not bored please DM me.

If they really tried to make this an action thriller I am not intrested in giving them my coins.

It’s not an action movie; not at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Definitely not right now... I wonder if this awards season, as Nolan makes the rounds, will anyone dare ask about DOR putting him in a headlock and threatening him so he'd drop Jude Law from The Prestige? Allegedly, but the story goes that it happened at a party with witnesses, and no less than the New York Times reported it so...

Mattie is so annoying in the 1960s version, I couldn't get through the whole thing.

The Black Friday increases don't seem to be as high this year. Is everyone shopping online? The big chains are also having insane in-store only sales to get people to come back. 

People go shopping go Black Friday for the TVs or Xbox or PS4’s being close to $200. Online shopping has increased, but also I think most people are getting stuff online and after Black Friday because people can get that stuff afterwards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

How is the total thanksgiving BO takings looking comparing to 2016, up or down?

2016 Nov. 18–24 $252,949,156 -6.2% $272,743,652 -5.0% 132 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

2017 Nov. 17–23 $318,603,249 +71.5% $324,975,695 +64.1% 62 Justice League

Will be up.

All im going to say if November makes it close to or not make it to $1 billion, I would say that this was fun November to predict.

Thor and Bad Moms started it off very well.

Daddy’s Home,and Murder On Orient Express all did better than expectations. Yeah they got smacked their second weekend, but should turn out to have decent runs for the next few weeks. $100 million each should happen.

I know people will say this a failure but people Justice League wasn’t that bad it wasn’t another Blade Runner 2049. $230 million domestic total, and overseas will help it. Wonder did way better than expected like wow! $150+ total could happen for a small budget film, and Lionsgate has had their strongest year since 2013 and doing way better than Paramount this year!

Coco is off to a decent start but should make a helping with legs. 

• Like 2

Has anyone else noticed that Deadline routinely underestimates limited opening numbers in their Friday midnight updates. Is it because they don't include Thursday previews ? Call Me By Your Name was at $125k last night and went up by over $30k this morning. I see it almost every week.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I loved Fantastic Beasts but it's hard for me to stan for these movies with Johnny Depp being there. I'm also very disappointed in how J. K. Rowling ignored the Potter fans asking for the guy to be replaced after what he did to Amber Heard. I lost a lot of the respect I had for her.

Does she have the final say for castings?

11 hours ago, grey ghost said:

LOTR has been condemned to television.

Television is fine by me.  I'm not one of those guys that thinks Game of Thrones is the best thing ever(thats Breaking Bad of course), but its better than 90% of the shit Hollywood puts out there with a 100m+ budget.  I have no idea what they're gonna do exactly but buying the rights for 250m before any preproduction on it has begun is just insane... so Amazon/Bezos clearly mean business with it.

Edited by Ozymandias

Most Cinephiles are , by nature, intolerant, obtuse and condescending creatures.

They are convinced they know "the truth", or at least an important & relevant version of it.

They all share about the same idea about what should be considered art and what shouldn't.

Like, the only blockbuster art movies this year were BR 2049 & Dunkirk, stupid !

Villeneuve is so in love with the idea he s making art that he thought doing a near 3h movie would give him his cinephile street cred he so clearly lusts.

He was like : "behold my BOLD artistic choices in BR 2049, not your average blockbuster, right ? My Movie is ART !"

Cinephiles have become (always have been ?) caricatures, just like the movies they jerk off to.

I mean, I can watch 15 trailers of the awards/adult/indies/whatever you wanna call them movies of this year and I cringe hard at most of them.

All these movies share the same aesthetics choices, cinematography, style of acting, score & music, tone etc,  the same boring, "important" and "relevant" subject matters, the same lack of ambition in scope, they are mostly undistinguishable from one and other.

I can smell an Oscar movie 25 seconds into the trailer, a Sundance one, probably 15. 

Indies, Blockbusters have become film genres unto themselves and that s a very sad state of affairs.

Eveything now is so compartmentalized it s almost scary.

We re basicaly in movie apartheid/segregation, it probably always has been like this, what I am talking about ain't nothing new, but we re currently living the ultimate version of it.

Jonathan BL is right and he s saying to you water is wet :

the trend is there, as time & decades go by, the average Joe & Jane movie goer is giving less & less a fuck about the awards/adult/indies/whatever you wanna call them movies.

Numbers don't lie, check them out, they are available, it s a box office forum after all.

Besides the coastal crowds in the big american megalopoles of the US of A, nobody gives a crap about the Moonlights and the Phantom Threads and the Manchester by the Seas of the world more than ever.

Movies are slowly but surely entering their painting & "modern art" phase : niches pieces of work proclaimed as real "true art" by a highly educated elite that love nothing more to know they don't share the same basic, vulgar taste of the working woman & man. 

No wonder the daughter of one of the most wealthiest man is the world is financing lots of them (hi Megan !)

Yup, class racism is a thing, even in the so called "progressist" circles,  I ve witnessed it more than I would have liked.

Discussing movie tastes with various types of people is always a fascinating anthropological experience.

A real, serious, educated cinephile cannot talk about Thor Ragnarok the same way  he talks about Lady Bird and to me, that is precisely what makes him so clueless about movies & art in general.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1