That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

That OE increase is nuts. For the sake of box office greatness, I hope that Orient Express and Daddy's Home 2 both cross 100M DOM. Would be phenomenal if they both accomplished it, and 3 small/mid range film breakouts in a row (those 2 + Wonder) is quite a sight in 2017.

Also, given how the movie seems to be breaking out everywhere including China, is there a chance for Coco to pull a Zootopia and hit 1B WW? Or is an Inside Out WW total more likely?

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

130.82M is a great opening weekend for Justice League

Quite literally. Cause Thursday is the end of a movie's opening week. JL's total is 130M on opening week-end. (Get it? :ph34r:....... I'll just grab my jacket and leave now.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Haha 1

Coco proving that more often than not,  claims regarding "buzz" aren't worth being taken into account especially when they aren't based on any data but just on the personal experience of each of us.

This one has a a good shot at outgrossing Moana, although people said it "didn't quite have the buzz" of the former.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That OE increase is nuts. For the sake of box office greatness, I hope that Orient Express and Daddy's Home 2 both cross 100M DOM. Would be phenomenal if they both accomplished it, and 3 small/mid range film breakouts in a row (those 2 + Wonder) is quite a sight in 2017.

Also, given how the movie seems to be breaking out everywhere including China, is there a chance for Coco to pull a Zootopia and hit 1B WW? Or is an Inside Out WW total more likely?

Quite literally. Cause Thursday is the end of the week. JL's total is 130M on opening week-end. (Get it? :ph34r:....... I'll just grab my jacket and leave now.)

Honestly I feel that Coco definetely has a good shot for the bili.

It is very early of cource, but with the WoM being as incredible as it is, combined with a possible big breakout in China and latin America and a good performance in Europe.... 

I don't know, but that would be quite a nice surprise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

claims regarding "buzz" aren't worth being taken into account especially when they aren't based on any data but just on the personal experience of each of us.

This and more specially for movie that do not target audience that would talk about it online on film site or very much in general.

Low buzz/conversation for a Young adult franchise or a hard Sci-fi release is maybe telling, but for a family movie it is not, so much that some tracker do not even use the unaided awareness in the formula predicting OW, it is movies that people go see without having any clue what it is about, what was the exact release date 2 weeks ago or what is the title.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

OE is gonna cross 100M for sure. DH2 is a maybe but this jump is encouraging. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

This and more specially for movie that do not target audience that would talk about it online on film site or very much in general.

Low buzz/conversation for a Young adult franchise or a hard Sci-fi release is maybe telling, but for a family movie it is not, so much that some tracker formula do not even use the unaided awareness in the formula predicting OW, it is movie that people go see without having any clue what it is about, what was the exact release date 2 weeks ago or what is the title.

Yeah. That's really true but even regarding such movies you should look about some verified data and not what your friends may or may not talk about or what you "feel".

I think that we often forget that everyday people aren't movie nerds.

Just as you described it; I am confident in saying that the vast majority of the people seeing Coco right now didn't even know about it's existance before the TV ads and even If they did they weren't aware of the released date.

So, you can tell families hit movies on Black Friday after lunch - every family-directed movie (even The Star) is a sellout or virtual sellout at my 2 locals through 4pm...sales kinda drop off after that, depending on the movie, so we'll see if any of them can hold into the night after a pretty amazing morning/early afternoon...

PS - Although, sucking for them, since the market is tight and they are all rocking, none of them are getting extra showings than planned...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

You guys have no idea how much coverage Rogue One's first teaser trailer had in most parts of Asia when Donnie Yen showed up in it. Note that Donnie Yen is one of the highest paid actors in Asia, with his movies breaking many box office records in Asia. Ip Man 3 held records in Singapore, HK, Malaysia despite opening with Force Awakens.

Major newspaper were reporting it, and when Donnie Yen shared the trailer on his FB, the retweet numbers from Asian fans were huge..

But then, LucasFilm screwed up the marketing, by putting a huge Felicity Jones' face on the poster(did not help that she was emotionless in the movie), and then many Asians felt that Donnie's role must be pretty small.

And then the initial WoM was that Donnie only appeared 30mins into the film..and barely had any fight scenes, luckily his acting as Chirrut stole the show and he improvised the funniest line in the movie, the week to week drops in Asian Markets was better than expected and the OD in China was 4x of presales (extremely rare at that time for a HLW film).

Note that Rogue One did not even beat Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3 in markets like Malaysia, China, Singapore and HK.

Then Paramount learnt from it and was smart, they placed Donnie Yen's face front and center of xXx3 - infront of Vin Diesel, and xXx3 earned more than 2x of Rogue One's gross in China. Lol.

Btw Synder contacted Donnie Yen several times for a cameo role in Justice League, which will become a big role in one of the standalone movies, but Donnie turned it down. 

Edited by TigerPaw

Three Billboards is FANTASTIC. Easily in my Top 3 of the year! Academy Award Winner Justin Hammer is incoming :bravo: 

btw, I got a new Red Sparrow trailer. It's similar to the first, but a decent amount of shots in the second half of the trailer were replaced with other stuff.

• Like 1

Coco is a Disney Pixar movie to be fair. I don’t know why people are so surprised that it’s performing similarly to their other movie from the exact same time last year. 

I find Wonder’s success far more surprising. It came out of nowhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Three Billboards isn't top 3 but it's definitely top 5 (I have Blade Runner, Apes, Logan, and Coco ahead of it)

Three Billboards just pushed Blade Runner out of my Top 5 :jeb!: 

Apes isn't even close to the top

Logan is right outside my Top 10

Haven't seen Coco yet

• Sad 1