aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's the better definition for an original film:

1) A non-franchise and non-adaptation film.

OR

2) A non-sequel and non-adaptation firm

OR 

3) A non-sequel and non-franchise film

I'd say 2. No such thing as a "franchise" film yet if it's neither a sequel or adaptation. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's the better definition for an original film:

1) A non-franchise and non-adaptation film.

OR

2) A non-sequel and non-adaptation firm

OR 

3) A non-sequel and non-franchise film

I will go with third as there are many adapted films that behave? like original films. Like disaster artist.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I thought we were talking by boxoffice pov and not literal pov.

Idk, just thought he was asking what's the best definition for an original film, not how it behaved at the box office. I mean you could say an original film like San Andreas "behaved" like a franchise one at the BO or a franchise film like Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol behaved like an original. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Idk, just thought he was asking what's the best definition for an original film, not how it behaved at the box office. I mean you could say an original film like San Andreas "behaved" like a franchise one at the BO. 

When you predict box office for san andreas, how will you see it as? That's what I meant by bo pov. Same difference b/w predicting avatar gross and tdkr, no matter how they perform.

6 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

A $1m value fanbase. 

By that logic we should not consider any nolan film original.

There's some truth in jest to that: Nolan is basically his own franchise at this point.

But apart from TDA categorically not being an original move in the Academy Screenplay award sense, its inbuilt fanbase (small as it may be) is basically the reason it exists and has any hype at all, surprisingly strong reviews notwithstanding.

Edited by Hatebox

I think a brand like a studio or even a director is a different thing than a franchise. It's like calling an actor with star power a franchise, so therefore no Leo film could be seen as "original." Don't agree with that, I'd still consider an original film he did as original. Avatar couldn't really have been called an original by those standards either since Cameron certainly had huge name power when it came out. I think an original film is simply just that, one that's not part of a franchise or adapted from anything. 

13 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The Disaster Artist is arguably not even behaving like an 'original' film anyway: it had a very specific fanbase ready and waiting from the get-go.

I wanted to ask, should we take such a small fanbase into account while predicting box office.

But lets take a better example, moonlight. It's not a original movie by academy standards. 

20 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I thought we were talking by boxoffice pov and not literal pov.

When people complain about a lack of original films they're almost exclusively referring to repetitive and uninspired content rather than profits and revenue.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I wanted to ask, should we take such a small fanbase into account while predicting box office.

But lets take a better example, moonlight. It's not a original movie by academy standards. 

Right, because it's adapted from something. Let's pretend Moonlight opened to like $110m or something, BOM wouldn't have reported as the biggest original film opening, because it's not original. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

When people complain about a lack of original films they're almost exclusively referring to repetitive and uninspired content rather than profits and revenue.

Thanks. That's a good point. They will not include many adapted films in that conversation as not original. For them even blade runner 2049, a sequel would be a original. A fresh take in a repetitive blockbuster landscape.