DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

Just now, Krissykins said:

So Disney said they were only going to release blockbusters, a few each year. 

Is the plan to use Fox to distribute smaller budget adult skewing films (Searchlight) ?

Fox doesn’t have many franchises (X-Men, Avatar, Deadpool, Ice Age?). 

The Fox label will likely be used for more adult fare like Touchstone was back in the day. Basically anything that doesn't fit under the Disney-branded umbrella (Marvel and Lucasfilm are essentially their own entities within the company).

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Disney just isn't in the video game business anymore.

And that's ridiculous, with their huge catalog of franchises they'd be very successful, they've never been ambitious in this sector. It would be easy for them to do by buying developers such as Capcom or Activision.

Edited by Fullbuster

17 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

I was saying your post reads like your complaining that a film industry expects to see profits from their studios to keep them running?  As if it's some cold thing?

Any other studio would shutdown or change-up a Searchlight like studio if it wasn't producing results.  If Searchlight survived at Fox, it'll survive at Disney.

And again you need to re-read whole conversation. I was agreeing with xo21, who is pro-deal. Your whole comment comment come as assholy, trying to teach me something. Even after I said that I was saying the same thing, you commented this stupidity.

28 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Touchstone and Miramax, bro, Touchstone and Miramax. 

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

Miramax golden age was during the Disney years, then H Weinstein burned it to the ground, exactly like TWC.

TWC before the scandal hit was on verge of bankrupt. 

Touchstone suffered like the rest of Disney in the early 00'. All divisions were in a really bad shape especially animation and ABC.

not sure how I feel about this if it goes through.  Hopefully it all works out for the best if the deal occurs.

I personally couldn't care less about whatever streaming service this may lead into so that part doesn't affect me in any way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I kinda hope they just merge that streaming service with Hulu. Not here for paying for yet another service. 

oh it will be another fee I am sure. 

I don't do streaming services.  I tried out Netflix for a couple months for a couple shows, but then I realized I didn't use it for weeks after that so just canceled it.  It's why this whole "but it's great for whatever streaming thing" they do is irrelevant for me  :P 

14 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean beyond the adult filmmaking, which you guys make good points,  a deal like this should should still not be able to legally exist. Just too big. We need to regulate how much power and market shares corporations can have. Amazon is even worse.

I like this deal but glad someone mentioned Amazon. They have all the power right now.

14 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Learned what? Learned that there are a lot of people who post the exact same meme over and over again? It just makes me laugh. Who would have known a box office forum isn't a diverse group of individual critical thinkers, but a hive mind of people who can't tolerate a difference of opinion so they stick their heads in the sand and go "La la la la not listening." It takes actual brain cells to respond to a different point of view, it takes no effort at all to dismiss said point of view with cute memes. Equally no brainpower to dismiss the person AND their views, because you don't agree. 

All I can tell is when I don't get real responses, but just teh jokez I must have hit a nerve. It tells me exactly what I want to know -- I'm right. You can't even make an argument to the contrary, so instead it's just useless nonsense. I'll be impressed and probably die of a heart attack if I actually saw a useful rebuttal of anything, but there isn't one. I didn't state anything that's not true, which is that Disney makes great movies that audiences enjoy, and there's no cause for a "sky is falling" approach to a deal that will be good for moviegoers by uniting a lot of content in a future streaming service. What could be bad as a moviegoer? Having so much access to great films in one place can only be seen as a good thing.

Pretty sure your last paragraph is where people went nahhhh.

36 minutes ago, 75Live said:

oh it will be another fee I am sure. 

I don't do streaming services.  I tried out Netflix for a couple months for a couple shows, but then I realized I didn't use it for weeks after that so just canceled it.  It's why this whole "but it's great for whatever streaming thing" they do is irrelevant for me  :P 

People who cut the cord use services like Hulu for way more than a couple of shows.

My whole family uses Hulu for anime, original shows, Handmaid's Tale, Broad City, Rick and Morty, etc.

13 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

There it is. I had a feeling he wasn't leaving so soon. I have seen this song and dance with him supposedly leaving only to end up getting an extension and staying for years already.

Yeah man, Disney is not going to spend this much and put those properties in bad hands.

As far as X-Men. I always thought Marvel should reboot that into a premium style Netflix show. I dunno about CGI budgets though but I always loved the animated series. Kind of feel the same way about Spider-Man.

Do movies with the same characters every few years with a big villain but develop the characters on the show with someone who gets them and keep the classic looks.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

People who cut the cord use services like Hulu for way more than a couple of shows.

My whole family uses Hulu for anime, original shows, Handmaid's Tale, Broad City, Rick and Morty, etc.

Yeah these streaming services like Netflix, Apple, Hulu, Amazon, Disney, etc could end up destroying network TV. 

As far as indie films. I guess some users here miss how often those films are released with little notice straight to On Demand or Bluray. There's usually a whole slew of them every week. I doubt many here have seen Brigsby Bear which got little attention and is one of the most underrated films of the year. But yeah, pretty sure this deal wouldn't effect many of them. Can see Disney keeping Fox Searchlight intact. They aren't stupid.

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

And?

Now Disney is making family content for big screen. I really doubt we'll see some changes.

R.I.P. Searchlight:whosad: 

I mean, I sure hope Disney doesn't have any films in the future that isn't straight for family audiences. That could mean you're overacting.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

So Disney said they were only going to release blockbusters, a few each year. 

Is the plan to use Fox to distribute smaller budget adult skewing films (Searchlight) ?

Fox doesn’t have many franchises (X-Men, Avatar, Deadpool, Ice Age?). 

Fox also have Planet of the Apes as a well known franchise. 

Fox's franchises Disney could easily reboot: Night at the Museum, Independence Day, Die Hard, Speed, 

Fox's classics Disney could reboot (ala Mary Poppins): Mrs. Doubtfire, Big, Home Alone, The Sound of Music, 

Fox's Blue Sky animation: Rio, Robots (I particularly found this last one kind of visually attractive at the moment).

13 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't understand why some people are so invested in defending a company that they have no financial stake in, that has billions of dollars, and is just a purveyor of content, with natural mixed results within it. I just don't get white knighting for a billion dollar corporation, especially when tons of their employees get paid jack squat (I live in Florida - I KNOW how Disney treats park employees, and it ain't pretty). I'd be saying the same if it was defending Universal or whatever. I just ain't built like that. To each their own I guess. Seize the means of production imo.

Haha I live in FL too and I know how badly Disney would love to grab the rights of Marvels characters from Islands Of Adventure. That happened long before the MCU.

I remember how badly they treated long term tech employees and forced them to train their replacements (who agreed to come on at a lower rate of income - usually overseas). If they didn't, they wouldn't receive severance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Fox also have Planet of the Apes as a well known franchise. 

Fox's franchises Disney could easily reboot: Night at the Museum, Independence Day, Die Hard, Speed, 

Fox's classics Disney could reboot (ala Mary Poppins): Mrs. Doubtfire, Big, Home Alone, The Sound of Music, 

Fox's Blue Sky animation: Rio, Robots (I particularly found this last one kind of visually attractive at the moment).

No thanks (for me personally) to all of these reboots except for Planet of the Apes.

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

Did I say they were ok? No I didn't. But being a nitpicky ass to someone who's first language isn't English just because of a different opinion is a dick move.

I didn't  even know English  wasn't his first language.I dont keep up with every poster's  background. His typing seems fine and fluent. I use a tablet and it spell checks words to wrong words all the time (just now changed wrong to wrap) so I thought it was just a simple error but go ahead and continue  to be up your own ass.