DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

Just now, Fullbuster said:

That's not very convncing...

I don’t have time to write a full consumer theory paper for why a monopoly is bad, read into the LA times controversy this year for a brief description or read about the movie theater issue with Disney. But beyond that this deal gives far too much power to one entity, in terms of sports Disney is now the only game in town in NY and other areas, in terms of TV it will own 42% of the market that’s obscene and a similar amount for movies. This will create costs that will be past down to consumers Disney can jack up rates as it had no competition the other studios will have to merge to compete and then what

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

I wish people could see beyond comic book movies on how bad this is for Hollywood

Hollywood deserves its own fate for supporting people like Weinstein for decades.

The days of people spending 10-20 bucks to see any film has passed. 

The model will switch to big films in theatres and other films through streaming and likely will be for the best as more people will see smaller or original films through streaming services.

It is rather telling when some random original film from Netflix likely has had more people watch it than many award films. The model right now does not work. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

I am against this deal (fuck monopolies not to mention they’ll be a shitton less diversity) but I think there is some anger at Disney purchasing Fox rather than if some other studio got it.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

This is basically a decision that is sad for the sake of diversity in the movies landscape. You may think that I am taking this too seriously but I dont think it is irrational to think that Disney may do more such "deals" in the future seeing how much they dominate the market right now and how basically only WB and Universal can fight for the second place. 

In the long run, this move probably enhances diversity. It's not going to be long before Netflix, Amazon, and Facebook start producing huge-budget movies of their own, and the latter have incredibly deep pockets. Disney realized it needed to get bigger to survive in that environment, and they may yet not be big enough even with FOX. And swallowing FOX might end up being like that snake that swallowed the centipede and ended up being split in two.

It's a hugely risky play by Disney, evidence not of dominant monopolistic strength but of their perception of grave strategic dangers coming. 

Expect Comcast and WB to try and acquire Paramount, and Sony has decisions to make.

Really, 10 years from  now the Big Three movie studios might be Amazon, Facebook, and Google. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

In the long run, this move probably enhances diversity. It's not going to be long before Netflix, Amazon, and Facebook start producing huge-budget movies of their own, and the latter have incredibly deep pockets. Disney realized it needed to get bigger to survive in that environment, and they may yet not be big enough even with FOX.

Expect Comcast and WB to try and acquire Paramount, and Sony has decisions to make.

Really, 10 years from  now the Big Three movie studios might be Amazon, Facebook, and Google. 

The other studios will try to survive this which will lead to more consolidation and more and more but beyond Hollywood these are media empires sports, tv, video games. Disney in sports is now untouchable that’s bad