Eric S'ennui

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Again, moviepass is a scam. They are acting like it in every way.   They don't care about moviegoers or anything else and the management has very generous compensation packages based on being able to dilute the stock while pumping the price.  It remains smart to take advantage of it while you can as a moviegoer - unfortunately they killed my go to theater and the rest have difficult parking, so I cancelled.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, the AMCs said their average MP reimbursement was almost $12/ticket...so for $3M/ week, you're looking at 250,000 tickets bought at AMCs...so, 1/6th of members bought a ticket at an AMC/week.  Knowing the new 1M of subscribers (from Dec 9 to Jan 9) have been using their passes like crazy, I see that as highly possible.  If you have a million folks buying 6 movies from late Dec to late Jan, that's 6 million tickets bought.  For 1 million to be AMC tickets over those 4 weeks when they are one of the biggest chains wouldn't be crazy (and I'm not even dealing with the other 500K subscribers - we can say they picked up the slack for the newbies who weren't quite so crazy)...  

I can't buy that number unless somehow a top 10 market is somehow a massive outlier.  Granted I go to a post-renovation AMC where right off the bat over 30 percent of the seats for the entire theater is off limits to MP as they are Dolby and Imax seats.  Throw in another 5-15 percent for 3D movies.  You mention the end of Dec but what were they seeing as good luck to anyone with MP buying a ticket to SW before Christmas Day with the card.  Or buying Jumanji tickets any time in Dec.  I just don't think its possible to buy 6 tickets at renovated and new AMC's in the month of Dec unless all you saw was Darkest Hour.  The reason they have 2 percent blockbuster and 10 percent art house is because its much harder to buy blockbuster tickets with MP.  

Also since my last post a few hours ago I found out one of the banned AMC's is in my market.  But this is how full of s--- MP is.  The AMC I normally go to regular adult ticket is 11.76 while the banned one is 12.83.  Ok so maybe this dollar is a huge deal except for the Regal which is about 10 mintues from the banned AMC is 13.74.  The Regal is a ghost town despite being in a mall. 

So many moving pieces with MoviePass lately. At the end of the day, MoviePass needs AMC and this is a very bold move. Should be fun to see how it plays out.

FWIW, the AMC in Atlanta costs $15.79 for a non-matinee 2D ticket, so maybe it's not getting the volume the 10 that are now excluded were getting.

Edited by CobbFC09

20 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Moviepass didn't make a bold move, they showed their ass and all of their cards and now the industry knows they are fucked (not that they didn't know it already).  

It's quite common to see companies burn through cash to gain market share, so this isn't anything new. Time will tell if they're able to build up their base and really put to use their advertising platform to gain that market share though. But let's be honest, the zombie that is AMC isn't in the best position either given all their net debt (nearly $5bn) vs. market cap ($1.7bn). A string of bad quarters and they could be going bankrupt, though given the business environment they're in I doubt that happens.

MoviePass Ventures is also intriguing given their recent formation and acquisition of "American Animals" earlier this week at the Sundance.

1 hour ago, CobbFC09 said:

It's quite common to see companies burn through cash to gain market share, so this isn't anything new. Time will tell if they're able to build up their base and really put to use their advertising platform to gain that market share though. But let's be honest, the zombie that is AMC isn't in the best position either given all their net debt (nearly $5bn) vs. market cap ($1.7bn). A string of bad quarters and they could be going bankrupt, though given the business environment they're in I doubt that happens.

MoviePass Ventures is also intriguing given their recent formation and acquisition of "American Animals" earlier this week at the Sundance.

Moviepass ventures far from intriguing...and sure the financial model of theater chains is an issue, but not sure how giving up money to shady moviepass while giving the same cut to studios is going to change that.  The margins on the films themselves is not great as it is.  

Did I mention this is a very shady company?...For those comparing to Netflix, among other glaring differences moviepass isn't even going public.  It continues to hide in the shell of Helios and Matheson which is not something a reputable business with a real business plan would do.  Moviepass will never go public either despite what they may say or they would have done so rather than sell most of their company to Helios and Matheson for peanuts a few months ago.

I got an email today about their terms of service. Here’s the passage about usage:

A valid MoviePass subscription to the Service entitles you to: (1) see one (1) 2D film per calendar day through MoviePass; and (2) a single seat, depending on availability, for a 2D film showing open to the general public. The Service excludes premium showings such as: 3D films, IMAX, 4D, XD and specialty theaters. The Service is available every day of the week, subject to the theater being open, inventory, and usage. Alternative or future MoviePass Service subscription plans may include (1) premium plans that provide access to 3D, IMAX, and specialty formats and (2) capped plans (limited amount of movies per month).

Nothing in there about not being able to see the same movie multiple times. Not yet anyway. 

4 hours ago, rockNrollaDIM said:

Love love LOVE my MoviePass. It’s changed my life! <3 

LOL spoke too soon - my fucking theater of choice pulled out!

In addition to updating our terms of use, we wanted to provide you with the theaters that are currently no longer on the platform. You can see the full list below.  

Our goal is to make MoviePass an affordable option and accessible at the broadest number of theaters nationwide, and we'll continue working with the theater chains to make our vision a reality. We advise members to always double-check the MoviePass app for the most up-to-date list of supporting theaters.
cleardot.gif
AMC Century City 15, Los Angeles, CA
AMC Mercado 20, Santa Clara, CA
AMC Disney Springs 24, Lake Buena Vista, FL
AMC Loews Boston Common 19, Boston, MA
AMC River East 21, Chicago, IL 
AMC Mission Valley 20, San Diego, CA
AMC Tysons Corner 16, McLean, VA
AMC Veterans 24, Tampa, FL
AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16, Lynwood, WA

I'd be worried they can arbitrarily fine you.  It says you can appeal it, but of course their customer service is awful and they are basically unreachable.  After cancelling this week I contacted my credit card company to block any attempted further charges from them.  I'd recommend doing that for anyone that cancels in the future

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockNrollaDIM said:

LOL spoke too soon - my fucking theater of choice pulled out!

In addition to updating our terms of use, we wanted to provide you with the theaters that are currently no longer on the platform. You can see the full list below.  

Our goal is to make MoviePass an affordable option and accessible at the broadest number of theaters nationwide, and we'll continue working with the theater chains to make our vision a reality. We advise members to always double-check the MoviePass app for the most up-to-date list of supporting theaters.
cleardot.gif
AMC Century City 15, Los Angeles, CA
AMC Mercado 20, Santa Clara, CA
AMC Disney Springs 24, Lake Buena Vista, FL
AMC Loews Boston Common 19, Boston, MA
AMC River East 21, Chicago, IL 
AMC Mission Valley 20, San Diego, CA
AMC Tysons Corner 16, McLean, VA
AMC Veterans 24, Tampa, FL
AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16, Lynwood, WA

Well, these theaters couldn't live without something, so Moviepass did make them act immediately...not sure if Atom or AMC is footing this bill or both, but every theater excluded from Moviepass now has this Atom offer...

"Just saw a new thread posted here on Slickdeals, where Atom is offering $5 tickets to any movie for these AMC locations removed from MoviePass, using the promo code "MOVIEPASSED". Clearly a return volley from either Atom or AMC, aimed at those customers left unable to use MoviePass at these locations."

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Okay cool, that just means I can’t see films a second time in theaters (I’ll wait a few months for a digital release) and I’ll need to sit through the entire film (not a big issue to me since I already do).  Seems simple enough

The tweet from MoviePass Customer Support has since been deleted and there's nothing in the updated ToS that says you can't see a movie more than once. MoviePass CS is always hit or miss.

Edited by CobbFC09