Eric Prime

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

It's true it shouldn't be able to work towards an IMAX ticket, but it'd be pretty difficult probably for that to work in practice. It's a debit card. It gets loaded with say $12.50. Then you buy an IMAX ticket, use the $12.50 towards the IMAX ticket, pay the rest with cash or a second card. 

In all reality I don't know why MoviePass really would give a shit, frankly. If you see the movie in 2D and it's $12.50, or you see it in IMAX and they subsidize $12.50, who gives a shit? They're still out the same $12.50 lol. It's an odd line to draw in the sand, but it's clear in the terms of service that you shouldn't do that. I've never done something like that because I don't want to get my card canceled.

It really isnt that hard to stop this from happening though as long as the transactions are being properly listed by the movie place.  For large chains they just need to work with them to make sure it is happening.. they should be lumping transactions as the same type anyway or the theatre cant track purchases.

14 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

It's true it shouldn't be able to work towards an IMAX ticket, but it'd be pretty difficult probably for that to work in practice. It's a debit card. It gets loaded with say $12.50. Then you buy an IMAX ticket, use the $12.50 towards the IMAX ticket, pay the rest with cash or a second card. 

In all reality I don't know why MoviePass really would give a shit, frankly. If you see the movie in 2D and it's $12.50, or you see it in IMAX and they subsidize $12.50, who gives a shit? They're still out the same $12.50 lol. It's an odd line to draw in the sand, but it's clear in the terms of service that you shouldn't do that. I've never done something like that because I don't want to get my card canceled.

Might be a way to limit demand, I guess. If someone really wants to see it in IMAX, they'd rather they not be able to use the MoviePass to do it.

As I've said, this is how a scam operates.  Pump your number of users, etc and then dump a ton of stock and warrants way below the stock price.  Stock was trading at $8+ and they are selling shares for $5.50 that come with a warrant to buy another share at $6.50!  Don't get me started on series B warrants...this is an absurdly deceptive and shady offering.  They are nearing the end.  If the concept of warrants is confusing it's because no legit company offers free warrants as a "buy one get one free" on their stock (stock they are having to sell at rock bottom to begin with)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/helios-matheson-analytics-announces-pricing-133000779.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://pro.boxoffice.com/moviepass-effect-subscription-model-influencing-exhibition/

No matter which solution exhibitors adopt, the MoviePass effect sheds light on one of the biggest challenges facing American exhibitors after a 2017 marked by a downturn in attendance. After years of upgrades to the moviegoing experience, what can the industry do to drive more people to the cinema? And what can be done to have them come back more often? For SMG’s Schultz, services like MoviePass are part of the solution. “It’s helping get loyalty to our particular locations,” says the exhibitor. “We have reserved seating and luxury recliners in most of our locations, and as we transition to that, it takes down any barrier to coming. Taking away price from consumers’ choice, it’s down to the theater they like going to the most.”

On 2/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, JonathanLB said:

I told my (older) cousin about MoviePass yesterday, she hadn't heard of it. She was like, "Where have I been?!?" So I explained it to her, she signed up, and immediately told her four daughters about it and two of them are signing up too. It kind of spreads like wildfire. I bet you she's one of those who will take advantage early but then ultimately not win out. She told me she hasn't been to a movie in months, "maybe even a year, gosh, I can't remember." Yet she was all excited about it... which is funny to me... and said she mainly avoids going because it's so expensive. I can see someone like that going 2-3 times a month for a few months, then down to once a month, then just back to her usual habit of maybe 4-5 movies a year but not canceling because it's like a security blanket, "In case I want to see something, it's FREE!" (sorta, not really free, but that's how people think -- it's good psychology).

I've had similar experiences with people. At every family function my cousins will ask me what have I seen. Lately it's been not much of anything, but I told them about Moviepass - which unlike some, I still don't have - during the Xmas dinner and it had their full attention. I've gotten texts about "have you heard of this Moviepass?? It's crazy!"

My girlfriend said her friend has "the $10 movie thing and goes a gazillion times a month now. She goes like 6 times a week." I asked how much she went before, she said "I mean she went every now and then, but not like that." Also saw it trending on Facebook a while back, and while the public is catching on, it probably won't last because of capitalism and bureaucracy.

What's going to happen is Moviepass will have a nice little run, and if they're not bought out, they'll be driven out. A few years will pass, things will quiet down, and then the studios and chains will come together Hulu style and come out with their more expensive, more corporate, but somewhat similar model.

It may include family or couple plans, rewards perks including but not limited to credit card points and cash back deals, deals with retailers like Walmart and Target, and it could be syngerized with the ecosystem such as home video or music streaming. Nevertheless, it will probably sway from "one movie a day", pricing will probably depend on your metro area's cost of living, and you'll probably only be able to use it at specific chain(s), meaning, like TV streaming, if you want to use multiple chains, ala Regal or Cinemark, you'll have to have a Regal pass and a Cinemark pass. No more one size fits all approach.

The studios will eventually have to wake up and smell the coffee like everyone else. The 2020s will be a defining decade for cinema. All businesses and industries are forced to adapt. Even Walmart and McDonalds are hardly recognizable from 5-10 years ago. Majority of what's in Best Buy now wasn't there just 5 years ago. Walmart doesn't care that they're Walmart, they know they have to keep up with the consumer preferences like everyone else. What Amazon is doing is just ridiculous. Most people have no clue, but ecommerce isn't even their #1 focus, and that is how they're adapting to stay afloat.

Will be interesting keeping an eye on 2018's attendance. 2018 has already started out meh. Still hard for me to believe last year was the worst since 1992. 

• Like 2

AT&T and Directv have "Ticket Tuesdays" where you can bring anyone to AMC, Regal, or Cinemark theaters for free on Tuesday. You buy one standard 2D, they comp the other one.

I have Directv, but I never tried because I always thought it was AT&T only. I wonder how successful it is and if it's made a dent in the box office? Directv people claim to have problems with it.

If/when Moviepass goes, once the studios and chains make their own version, I could see more retailers possibly signing deals and hopping on this train, especially brick and mortars.

"For every $300 you spend at Walmart, you get 1 free movie ticket. Just scan your receipts and you'll receive a Fandango code."

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

MoviePass Sues Subscription Rival Sinemia for Patent Infringement

MoviePass filed a patent infringement lawsuit Friday against Sinemia, alleging that its rival subscription service has stolen many of its key features. Both services allow customers to see movies in theaters in exchange for a discounted monthly fee. In the lawsuit, MoviePass accuses its rival of copying features of its mobile app that are the subject of two patents, both issued to MoviePass in 2013. The MoviePass app verifies that subscribers are at the theater using their phone’s location data. MoviePass also uses a subscription card to redeem tickets. Sinemia’s app and card operate in such a similar fashion that they infringe on the patents, MoviePass argues.

Sinemia allows users to see two movies per month — including 3D and IMax movies — for $9.99. Sinemia could not be immediately reached for comment.

I didn’t even know about Sinemia before reading this. Apparently you can use it to preorder tickets on Fandango and it doesn’t have to be same day like MoviePass requires. They have a Black Panther promo going on now for 2 tickets/month for $8.99. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

MoviePass Sues Subscription Rival Sinemia for Patent Infringement

I didn’t even know about Sinemia before reading this. Apparently you can use it to preorder tickets on Fandango and it doesn’t have to be same day like MoviePass requires. They have a Black Panther promo going on now for 2 tickets/month for $8.99. 

I got Sinemia after Moviepass dropped my go to theater. Advanced ticket booking has been a big plus as is premium format tickets

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

considering it probably has to do with partnership with bomb Death Wish, it shows how little impact MP has

Not sure I would call it a bomb, a small budget mgm release with a 15% RT score projected to do almost the same as a Clint Eastwood/Liam Neeson action movie opening, I would think many expected a Sin city 2 OW one year ago for that title.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

They are owning up to it.  So they reserve the right to not cover a theater or a movie on a whim.  They can also just terminate you... http://deadline.com/2018/03/red-sparrow-moviepass-block-purchases-1202308806/

It does explain why they had to sue Sinemia.  When you are playing total hardball, and willing to tick off your consumers, you really have to be the "only game they are willing to play in town."  No movie theater chain has put up any challenge against them, but Sinemia's terms just might...and so to play the hardball, they have to try to also remove the possible alternatives in Sinemia...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

considering it probably has to do with partnership with bomb Death Wish, it shows how little impact MP has

But DW would be doing worse, and RS better (it had been predicted higher) without this.  Many of the posts about not being able to use moviepass with red sparrow said they went to DW instead, and The Verge said Movie Pass had been promoting DW and not RS on its app.

16 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Heard this was a glitch...now was it a glitch or was it a "glitch"...no idea:)...

Pretty consistent glitch.

15 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure I would call it a bomb, a small budget mgm release with a 15% RT score projected to do almost the same as a Clint Eastwood/Liam Neeson action movie opening, I would think many expected a Sin city 2 OW one year ago for that title.

So maybe moviepass DOES impact box office...

Actually, I have no idea how well DW would be doing otherwise. Some of the people who couldn't get into RS went to other movies.