Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

I’ll probably cancel before my next billing cycle next week. I can’t see anything at my local Regal without surge pricing today. Not a single show. And MI6 is obliviously not available to check in for at all. That’s ridiculous. 

Ill probably sign up for amc a list after I cancel. I’m already a stubs premiere member anyway. But it is farther from home, so a little more inconvenient. And I don’t get my regal points to use on movie posters.

I also wish amc would add a family/bring a guest plan. I really don’t need to see 3 movies a week. I’d be perfectly happy seeing 1-2 movies a week, but having the ability to get 2 or more tickets to that same show, so I can bring my son or wife without paying for an individual ticket. I’d pay $25-$30 a month for a 2 movie/week for up to 2 people or $20 a month for 1 movie/week for up to 3 people. 

• Like 1

Gonna repost this from the other thread.  If you're like me and see a decent amount of movies per month, a similar strategy could work out for you

28 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I just got it [A-List], along with Sinemia and Cinemark Movie Club.  I can deal with the drive being longer if it means being able to see more movies at a lower price.  Moviepass is gonna be dead by the end of the week anyway, and if it isn't, I can still try to use it as much as possible before the renewal period ends in December (provided it actually works).  If Regal comes out with their own service though, I'll switch to that (probably gonna keep the other two though just as a backup).

My total amount per month for each of these services is $43, which is about the price of 3 movie tickets per month.  I see far more than 3 movies per month, and with each of these services combined, I'll be able to fit in 16 movies a month.  That's more than enough.  If I do end up seeing more than that, I'll pay for the rest at an early bird showing or redeem a free ticket from Regal Crown Club.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Gonna repost this from the other thread.  If you're like me and see a decent amount of movies per month like I do, a similar strategy could work out for you

I have given thought to doing the 1x6 family plan from Sinemia combo-ed with the Cinemark plan...so I could have some date movies in the year, but not have to go twice a month every month (since the Cinemark ones accrue), since some months are too nutty for our schedule...I'm still not in love with the Sinemia "every 30 days" thing, when I'd rather it be on a month-by-month schedule...and I have to look to see if there are enough movies coming out every month that I think my kids would want to watch (this year for kid movies was problematic, since so many opened together after months of nothing, but it looks better come November)...

I would enjoy the popcorn discount from Cinemark for all our movies, since we are almost always at Cinemark (my kids love their recliners)...

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'll use this until my annual subscription renews in December and then cancel.  Better at least try to get some more films out of this.

It's funny how you think MoviePass will be around in December.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'll use this until my annual subscription renews in December and then cancel.  Better at least try to get some more films out of this.

That's assuming they don't shut down before then. I just cancelled the other day and made sure I won't get billed again because they're obviously gonna close up shop for good any day now.

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah, I finally canceled today. I'm still on the service through next Monday or so, but I doubt that there will be anything that I'll see. Scrolling through the app, I can go see a handful of movies like Eighth Grade, Hereditary, or Sicario. Mission Impossible is shown as premium only. Mamma Mia, Equalizer, Hotel Translyvania, and Teen Titans don't show up on the app at all, regardless of the theater I check. The last time I did see those films (Thursday or Friday), they were all surge pricing at $6.

So, it looks like over the course of about 10 months, I saw 40 films. (Well, 38 or so. I saw a couple of them twice when that was an option.) The first was Bladerunner 2049. The last was Skyscraper. I know that there were multiple films I watched because of Moviepass, especially over the winter.

I'm not sure what I'll go with next. Perhaps Sinemia. It's a slight step down in number of movies, but it does cover the Cinerama, so that's a huge bonus.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm next expecting MoviePass to say that they can only be used at certain Whole Foods locations because why not.

MoviePass will actually announce that you will soon be able to go to physical stores where you can use your membership to rent VHS/DVDs of old movies for free. You can only have one movie out at a time and no repeat selections. When it can afford them, they will use Blu-rays.