Eric the Ape

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

20 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The one thing that gets to me is that they state that Moviepass will be available for "many studio first run films." The key word here being many basically says that they will still probably black out bigly movies.

Much like the vague language they kept using for peak pricing. What will and won't be available will change drastically in the next few weeks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I usually aimed for discount showings at the Cinemark so its club pass is pretty much worthless for me.

Nearest AMC is 25 miles away and it's not even a particularly great one

That is the bummer for Cinemark - I also aim for the $5 Tuesday or the $6.75 morning shows (since I'm usually getting 6 tickets), so it's worthless unless I buy it as next year's date night plan (seeing an adult movie every other month on Saturday night and using the popcorn feature for any kid viewings).  Still, even with that, I've found so many Fandango, Atom, and T-Mobile deals for every movie not named Avengers that bring prices below $9/ticket that it's still not really ideal for me, unless I have another plan (like Sinemia for $4/tickets) and am getting full use of concession benefits, b/c every kid movie outing, I paid $16+ for 2 large popcorn, so $3.20+ back wouldn't be a bad thing...

Not sure how working the 2 systems together will work...and I keep hoping Regal, my other local, will make that unnecessary for me by making a plan, and making it a family or adaptable one:)...I hit that local much less b/c its seats aren't AS cozy and its popcorn is even more expensive ($18+ per outing), but if they had a plan...well...

PS - My AMC is 30 minutes away (and 60 minutes in PM rush hour) with no reclining seating in a mall...it's about the last place I'd ever want to see a movie:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

I just have no interest in doing business with a company that doesn’t seem stable and feels like it’s trying to scam.  Would never get a MoviePass under their same leadership now after all those shenanigans they were trying to pull.

I’m waiting on an AMC though too because I have one year left of undergrad and my college doesn’t have an AMC close.  Which is why the theater locked thing probably is the only disadvantage to it.

Yeah, when a company changes it basic policies so often it's a sure sign it has major issues. No way I would buy into Moviepass at the moment.

• Like 1

Official email from Moviepass

Dear MoviePass Member,

On August 15, 2018, we will hit the one-year anniversary of MoviePass’ revolutionary price point of $9.95 a month. We’ve experienced tremendous growth, and we know that at times, the frequent changes to our service have been frustrating to you. But through it all, one thing is clear: we’ve gotten people excited about going to the movies again.

Over the last year, we have tried different things and we’ve discovered what our members love about our service — the low price point and the ability to go to more than 91 percent of theaters nationwide. We’ve also learned what people don’t like about the service — features including Peak Pricing and Ticket Verification.

So now, with almost a full year of learnings under our belt, we’re introducing a new pricing plan that retains the features you love the most and removes the ones you don’t. Most importantly, this new plan will ensure that we can run a sustainable business and continue providing you with an amazing deal to go see movies in theaters.

Here are the details:

• Under our new plan, MoviePass members will be able to see up to three standard movies a month for $9.95, and be given up to a $5.00discount to any additional movie tickets purchased. Today, 85 percent of MoviePass members go to three movies or less per month, so these changes cater to the majority of our movie-going community.

• The new plan will include many major studio first-run films, however there will be some exceptions (note that theaters with e-ticketing will include all movies and showtimes with no restrictions).

• We will be suspending Peak Pricing and Ticket Verification requirements for all members in the new plan described above.

• Over the coming days, MoviePass members with a monthly subscription renewing on or after August 15th will be given the option in the MoviePass app to transition to the new plan. Quarterly and annual subscribers will not be impacted until their renewal date.

The truth is, disruption and innovation require staying flexible and having an open mind. We genuinely strive to offer you a service that is a great deal, and we believe that the new plan we’re introducing will be attractive to the majority of our members.

It’s been an exciting journey so far, and MoviePass is here to stay. Your endless support, understanding and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mitch Lowe

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Glad I didn't panic and just cancel. Granted things are still in flux but seeing 3 movies a month for $10 is still a bargain. Surge pricing gone. Photo of tickets gone. Need to see if all showtimes are back and platform actually work next time I go to use it. 

I bought a ticket to Hotel Trans3 and just jumped into Mission Impossible so, you're welcome Sony, sorry Paramount. 

box office cheating

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RandomCat said:

...wait. so they aren't just going to move you onto the new plan, you have to activately change it? 

That email is amazingly condescending. And doesn't know what catering means.

That message is horrible. What idiot though that was a good idea? Apparently their PR Department is inhabited by morons.

I think the history of Movie Pass might end up being studied in every business management college in the country...as a great example of how NOT to run a company.

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They're just trolling at this point, right?  Maybe it's performance art on an Andy Kaufman level and I'm just not getting it. YiBe40t.png

Moviepass Endgame: Our product only works on movies we've released in theaters!

• Astonished 1

Had an extra 10$ lying around, bought 200 shares of MoviePass’s parent company (at roughly 6 cents a share with potential upside if they survive its a good investment to throw 10$ away on) Wonder what percentage of the equity I control :thinking:

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, Porthos said:

They're just trolling at this point, right?  Maybe it's performance art on an Andy Kaufman level and I'm just not getting it. YiBe40t.png

MoviePass: Wanting You to See Schlocky Fare Starring A-Listers Who Haven't Had Hits in Years Since 2018.